Would we want National CCW? - Page 2

Would we want National CCW?

This is a discussion on Would we want National CCW? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by automatic slim If a law were passed that simply said, "Every state will recognize every other states concealed carry permit", that would ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Would we want National CCW?

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    If a law were passed that simply said, "Every state will recognize every other states concealed carry permit", that would probably work. However we all know Washington wouldn't stop there. They would set standards that would make obtaining a permit almost impossible and I'm sure the fee would be outrageous.
    Morintp has a good point, if CCW didn't even require a permit, there would be no records, no fees, no requirements of any kind........gee, actual freedom.
    I second this version.

Let's see, who do I want to over see my FL CCW permit...BHO at the federal level, or Charles Bronson at the FL state level...Mmmmm...I'll take the state level only please...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The answer would be NO. The Federal Government would screw things up as usual and it would be easier for the feds to take our guns away.

Here's the actual text of the proposed Senate bill...

111th CONGRESS
    1st Session
    S. 371
    To amend chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, to allow citizens who have concealed carry permits from the State in which they reside to carry concealed firearms in another State that grants concealed carry permits, if the individual complies with the laws of the State.
    IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES
    February 3, 2009
    Mr. THUNE (for himself and Mr. VITTER) introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary
    A BILL
    To amend chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, to allow citizens who have concealed carry permits from the State in which they reside to carry concealed firearms in another State that grants concealed carry permits, if the individual complies with the laws of the State.
    Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
    SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
    This Act may be cited as the ‘Respecting States Rights and Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2009’.
    SEC. 2. RECIPROCITY FOR THE CARRYING OF CERTAIN CONCEALED FIREARMS.
    (a) In General- Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by inserting after section 926C the following:
    ‘Sec. 926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms
    ‘Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof:
    ‘(1) A person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and is carrying a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of any State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm, may carry in any State a concealed firearm in accordance with the terms of the license or permit, subject to the laws of the State in which the firearm is carried concerning specific types of locations in which firearms may not be carried.
    ‘(2) A person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and is otherwise than as described in paragraph (1) entitled to carry a concealed firearm in and pursuant to the law of the State in which the person resides, may carry in any State a concealed firearm in accordance with the laws of the State in which the person resides, subject to the laws of the State in which the firearm is carried concerning specific types of locations in which firearms may not be carried.’.
    (b) Clerical Amendment- The table of sections for chapter 44 of title 18 is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 926C the following:
    ‘926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms.’.
    SEC. 3. EFFECTIVE DATE.
    The amendments made by this Act shall take effect 90 days after the date of enactment of this Act.
    "Deeds Not Words" - Motto of the USS Gettysburg
    NRA Life Member
    http://www.alioofficium.com/ (Personal Responsibility)

Interstate reciprocity makes me most comfortable. Some kind of omnibus federal thing would make it all too easy to revoke wholesale. Interstate compacts would have to be disassembled piecemeal unless the other side is willing to risk a huge loss at the USSC. For that, they might wait until they enjoy a majority.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

This would be good for most of you, not for me. I can not get NJ carry permit, but since officially NJ issues them you out of staters would be able to carry in my state even though I can not.

I say leave it alone! What the federal government don't screw up they #$%& all over it. History is history....

While not trusting of the end result, I'm going to go beyond the fear, and say I support reciprocity.

Better legislation increasing pro-gun agenda then always fighting anti-gun bills.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

No way.

I fully agree with everyone who said the 'feds' would screw everything up, sooner or later.

I fully agree with everyone who said this is a State's Rights issue.

If you do not like your State then move or get organized then change the laws.

Agreed,.. Keep it at the state level for sure.. Keep washington out of it all..

Dictating a State's CCW laws is a clear violation of the 10th Amendment to the Constitution. I know the guy that introduced the bill is a pro-2A guy and thinks he is doing a good thing but he will not always be there to keep the anti's from taking it one step further as stated above.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeytown View Post
    Dictating a State's CCW laws is a clear violation of the 10th Amendment to the Constitution...
    Unless you consider all CC requirements that regulate to the point of prohibition and non-reciprocity are a violation of 2A, due process, and the 10th.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    While I am against it as a states rights issue 10th Amendment. Here is what Brady says.

Dear "Hopolophobe",

Imagine ... loaded, hidden handguns being carried nearly anywhere and everywhere, by anyone regardless of the law in your state.

That's what 22 U.S. Senators are pushing. Their legislation would force states, like your state, to allow dangerous people to carry hidden guns in public.

And look who's sponsoring the bill:

Senator Tom Coburn, who forced through outrageous "guns in parks" legislation as an amendment to the popular credit card bill in May;
    Senator John Ensign, whose personal crusade is to gut Washington, DC's gun laws; and other A-rated NRA legislators who seek to weaken our country's gun laws in the name of "rights" and "freedom" with no reference to "responsibility."
    These are the gun lobby's henchmen — and we need your help to stop them.

Donate now to support the Brady Campaign's all-out opposition to national concealed carry legislation.

If this legislation passes, it could dramatically increase the number of individuals who carry concealed handguns in public in your state ... even if your state legally bars these particular individuals from possessing guns.

Out-of-state residents who would never qualify for New York or California concealed carry permits would now be able to legally "pack heat" in your community. It reduces gun laws in all states to the "lowest common denominator" of those states with weakest gun laws.

This is madness. Please, in the name of common sense gun laws and public safety, donate to the Brady Campaign now.

We don't need more people carrying concealed handguns — on neighborhood streets, on buses, at sporting events, in public parks, or anywhere.

Please help us stop this legislation ASAP. Give your support to the Brady Campaign today. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Sarah Brady, Chair
    [sarcasm] Oh my gosh Citizens able to defend themselves and exercise their rights everywhere this is horrible how about a criminals right to a safe workplace. This is madness I tell you MAAAADDDNNNEEESSSS[/sarcasm]
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

I pretty much stay in my state. I see no need to give the Feds any more power. Let the states decide.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

While a national CCW policy would save a lot of confusion for travelers, everything the federal government gets involved in ends up a nightmare, and a darn costly one at that!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links