Would we want National CCW?

This is a discussion on Would we want National CCW? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I want even less Federal Government then we have now. I seem to see an erosion of freedoms one small piece at a time, and ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Would we want National CCW?

Government

I want even less Federal Government then we have now. I seem to see an erosion of freedoms one small piece at a time, and it seems to be getting worse with the Cap and Trade business, Sotomayor nomination, and the Obama Spending spree.
    Alas, there seems to be no answer. I write letters to my politicians and only hope that good comes of it.
    "Fail Your Way To Success"
    "A Goal without a Plan, is Just a Dream"
    "Age and treachery will win over Youth and Enthusiasm"

2. Remove Ads

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    So you like not being able to carry legally in several other states you may want to visit... I don't.
    So, you would prefer we dissolve the states and simply become a large national government. The statist view is becoming more prevalent these days.

Nor do I think a federal law mandating some standard of reciprocity is desirable. A couple of cases in the system now, if they reach SCOTUS, offer the best way. Once 2A is incorporated against the states via 14A, the road will be open to eventual Vermont-style carry everywhere.
    Or New York style carry! It certainly won't be up to you as a state citizen anymore.

Once you violate the Constitution then you will suffer the consequences. As Anubis corrently wrote, the Second Amendment applies ONLY to the Federal government. Please read the Supreme Court opinions in Cruikshank and Presser.

If the 2A only applies to the Feds, does that mean the same for freedom of speech and religion?

There's another bill coming up for reciprocity Senate bill S-845 does anyone know anything about this reciprocity bill ?

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Once NRA Vs. Chicago is won this will no longer be an issue.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post
    If the 2A only applies to the Feds, does that mean the same for freedom of speech and religion?
    No. For a detailed view of which amendments (even which parts of same) have been held by SCOTUS to be applied to the states, see Incorporation (Bill of Rights) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I find it mind boggling that only some amendments and in cases portions of amendments have been incorporated.

Thanks for the link.

Thumbs down Forget Federal Reciprocity

Quote Originally Posted by rock.45 View Post
    There's another bill coming up for reciprocity Senate bill S-845 does anyone know anything about this reciprocity bill ?
    ALL Federal Reciprocity is bad. The Government giveth and the Government taketh away. Interstate compacts (reciprocity agreements between individual sates) have to be dismantled one at a time. That means a bigger and stronger chance for the PEOPLE to dig in and take a stand.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Nope. What we need instead is a ruling that mirrors state-issued driver's licenses - a license issued in any state is valid in every state. Would be nice if my VA CHP was valid in all 50 plus DC and Puetro Rico.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post
    That is exactly what the Founders intended. This was expressed at the Constitutional convention and the Barron v. Baltimore cemented the ptinciples of state sovereignty. Even after the Fourteenth Amendment was ratified, the subsequent Court cases affirmed that the Fifth Amendment was only a prohibition on the Federal government. Justice Reed wrote the majority opinion and with Justice Frankfurter's concurring opinion the obvious reading of the Constitution and precedent was definitively affirmed.

It was only many decased later, arfter the liberals infiltrated the Court that the staist view took hold and HUNDREDS OF YEARS OF PRECEDENT was tossed because of only FIVE activist justices. Despicable.

The real tragedy is that most people WANT to be statist sheep , especially gun owners that feel left out of the Federal tyranny they so embrace.

So far, just a couple of posters share the ideals on which this nation was founded. The rest...It shows what a sorry state this nation has fallen. And some blame it on Obama? They should look in the mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by gwhall57 View Post
    Nope. What we need instead is a ruling that mirrors state-issued driver's licenses - a license issued in any state is valid in every state. Would be nice if my VA CHP was valid in all 50 plus DC and Puetro Rico.
    Our nation is not governed by 'rulings.' That would be a monarchy. We have a legislature made up of the People's representatives and [what should be state appointed] Senators. We are governed by the Constitution.

Drivers licenses are valid in other states because of an agreement BEWEEN THE STATES, the drivers license compact. It is not Federal legislation nor is it a Federal 'ruling.'

I would add that, driving is a 'privilege', and that your privilege to drive is given by the state. Kind of different with arms, that's a right that existed before there was a constitution, before there was a USA. I agree with ExSoldier, if the gov't can grant it, then they can revoke it.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    While I am against it as a states rights issue 10th Amendment. Here is what Brady says.

[sarcasm] Oh my gosh Citizens able to defend themselves and exercise their rights everywhere this is horrible how about a criminals right to a safe workplace. This is madness I tell you MAAAADDDNNNEEESSSS[/sarcasm]

I have yet to read this whole thread,but, this is a copy of the email I just sent to the Brady Foundation. I will be shocked if I receive an answer.

I'm sure that my words are going to fall on deaf ears, but I am calling you out for your insults that hurl by proxy. I have read a letter berating the national concealed carry bill and I am insulted by your pandering ways and insulting dramatization.

Nice play on words, nice spin to forward your agenda. I am astounded that you are so completely closed minded and refuse to look at the real picture.

I am a gun owner, I am a hunter and I have a concealed weapons permit. I fully respect life and I fully respect other's rights. I carry a gun in order to protect myself and my family. I own rifles that I use to hunt and provided food for my children.

I am not a criminal. I have no record and I served in the US Navy. I have had to point a loaded weapon at someone when I was in the military and I prayed with every heart beat that I wouldn't have to use deadly force. I am VERY happy to say that I never had to pull the trigger.

My father, grandfather and brother have all served in the military, to allow you to have the freedom to bad mouth a very large majority of law abiding citizens. I too wrote a check to the US Government that stated that I would give my life to the defense of our country. I am proud to have served and if need be, should something happen stateside, I would again defend my family and yours and your right to slander.

The fact that you have lumped all of us law abiding citizens together with and labeled us all as criminals is a slap in the face. My uncle died in Vietnam, someone that my mother was very close to. How can you sit there in your ivory tower and spew your lies and dramatizations upon law abiding men and women?

Do you honestly think that you can get rid of the guns that real criminals are going to get? Do you honestly think that all of the Russian and German etc weapons that are being used by the murderers in Mexico and even here in the states?

Do you honestly think you can stop the criminals from robbing and raping and murdering, especially when their victims are unable to defend themselves?

I am shocked at the verbiage that you have used in your propaganda. I pray that you never have to again suffer the travesty that you endured with your husband. But, that was perpetrated by a criminal, not a law abiding citizen. By the very definition, criminals break laws. Do you really think that they will go through legal channels to break a law?

You disgust me.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

CCW was possible because it was done at the state level. I believe it should stay that way. Otherwise you would have a state like the Republic of Kalifornia having a say in how your state operates in regards to CCW. Bad bad bad idea.

Do you really want Barney Frank or Nancy Pelosi having any influence in your state CCW. I think not. Let the Feds in, all will be lost.

No big government needed !!!
    Let's go back to the way it was circa 1860 !! LOL

Already too much legislation as it is. No way I want this to happen!
    Boomer Sooner!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links