Poor people shouldn't have guns

This is a discussion on Poor people shouldn't have guns within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Thanis Interesting point of view, but if you live there, I think there is a difference. My $.02 To each their own, ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Poor people shouldn't have guns

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Interesting point of view, but if you live there, I think there is a difference. My $.02
    To each their own, I personally believe in equal protection under the law, and if they have a legal right to do something I do not, purely because of their economic status. (being poor and living in government housing) then I feel it is just as wrong as the opposite happening.

You are correct in that there is a difference between living on state property and visiting it for whatever reason. (state fair or delivery examples I listed) However, in my book that just means that they should have more of an intrest in getting the state property law changed, instead of making life just that much more complicated.

And as I stated before this isn't just the poor that are affected. If you have to live on campus for any reason, you are also very often under the same exact restrictions. Very frustrating, especially in the married housing portion of campus living.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

2. Remove Ads

The argument that public housing it is public property is flawed. What other right beyond 2A can be altered because a person lives on property they don't own. So if you live in public housing, maybe you should not be allowed to own a bible, or pray at the goverment allowed kitchen table. Maybe you lose your right to privacy, and cameras should be set up to make sure the poor don't own something not authorised. Perhaps the poor should not be allowed to own a suit, because they have better things to spend money on. They should only be given enough toilet paper to wipe twice, because that is all they deserve. Maybe since we are paying for the housing they should not be allowed to own any clothing, and only be allowed government issued.

The thought process is the poor should be happy for the scraps they are given because they dare to be poor.
    YES...That is exactly ONE of the problems. That's one perfect example of why "public" housing shouldn't exist(at least not if its being paid out of tax dollars by the government). If you want public housing paid for by your favorite charity be my guest.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Uh.... they already have guns in many of these housing developments.... so why is there an issue to have "legal" ones vs all of the illegal ones ?

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Because nobody wants the guy with the legally owned, but illegally on the property gun going to jail for defending his family against the drug dealer the next apartment over. Pretty sure we can all agree that, that would be asinine.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

It stems from pure, unadulterated arrogance... Just the kind that pushes my button, hard.

I've seen families who have worked all their lives in a community (my own neighborhood) be pushed off their property and who's only option is public housing due to increasing property values and increased taxes.

Often when available housing is less than the demand, the poor struggle to find housing that is within their means. The value of property outpace incomes. Between regulations that make it costly to increase housing supply or just due to the limited supply of residential land, the government steps in and creates affordable housing (because no one else will).

Public housing is not charity.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

VIP Member

Another example of the damage done by inflation

I've seen families who have worked all their lives in a community (my own neighborhood) be pushed off their property .
    This is another example, and one all too common, of the damage done by inflation in housing values.

I own a shack in another state; it probably has no market value, as it lacks heat, water, and has other problems. Yet year after year the town taxes it as if it were of the same value as a newly constructed building of the same square footage. My options, hire an attorney every few years and contest the evaluation, something that usually saves me about the same amount as the attorney fees; or, stop paying the taxes and lose property I own which has been in my family since before WWI (1913). One of these days I'll stop paying the taxes and let the town put it up for a tax auction; where they will be lucky to get any bidders whatsoever. Then they can have the pleasure of running off the teens and druggies.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links