Gov. Jindal vetoes anti-gun parade bill

This is a discussion on Gov. Jindal vetoes anti-gun parade bill within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I haven't been aware of exactly how this bill began to progress though I understand it got amended over and over. When I/we heard about ...

Thread: Gov. Jindal vetoes anti-gun parade bill

VIP Member

Gov. Jindal vetoes anti-gun parade bill

I haven't been aware of exactly how this bill began to progress though I understand it got amended over and over. When I/we heard about it we started making calls and calls and more calls.....encouraging Gov Jindal to veto this bill...........and he did!

Governor Jindal Vetoes Anti-Gun Parade Bill in Louisiana!

Please Thank Governor Jindal!

On Friday, July 10, House Bill 523 was vetoed by Governor Bobby Jindal (R). HB 523, introduced by State Representative Gregory Ernst (R-94), posed an unacceptable risk to those who lawfully carry a concealed firearm.

NRA’s main concern was that the bill could be interpreted to create an outright prohibition on the carrying of a firearm within 1,000 feet of a permitted parade or demonstration, except as specifically authorized in the bill. While certain persons would have been exempt from this prohibition, holders of a valid statewide concealed carry permit would not have been among them. Someone who was otherwise lawfully carrying a firearm pursuant to a statewide permit could have been exposed to criminal liability merely for wandering within 1,000 feet of a parade, whether or not the person caused any harm, broke any other law, or even knew the parade was occurring.

The actions of the sponsor himself indicated that his intent was to ban outright the carrying of a firearm within 1,000 feet of a permitted parade or demonstration. The bill had at one point included an explicit exemption for statewide permit holders, which resulted in Representative Ernst’s threat to pull the legislation unless this exception was removed. Representative Ernst also refused an NRA request to amend the bill to clarify that a person would only be available for the bill’s penalties if the person knew he or she was within 1,000 of a parade or demonstration at the time of the violation.

Given the above-mentioned factors and the very harsh penalties imposed by the bill, NRA believed HB 523 posed an imminent and serious risk for those who lawfully carry firearms in Louisiana. A conviction under the amended statute, even for an inadvertent violation, would have carried felony penalties and the collateral consequence of a lifetime loss of the right to possess a firearm. These penalties are far too grave to risk the very real chance that a court could have interpreted the statute to create an outright prohibition on the possession of a firearm within 1,000 feet of a permitted parade or demonstration, even for those with a valid Louisiana concealed carry permit.

Please contact Governor Jindal TODAY and thank him for vetoing HB 523.

July 10, 2009

Mr. Alfred W. Speer

Clerk of the House of Representatives

State Capitol

Baton Rouge, LA 70802

Re: House Bill No. 523 by Representative Ernst

Dear Mr. Speer:

Under current law, it is illegal to carry a firearm “used in the commission of a crime of violence” within a parade zone. The purpose of this qualifying language is to require that the illegal use of a firearm is the primary element of the offense, not the mere possession of a firearm. House Bill No. 523 removes this important provision and criminalizes certain acts of mere possession. The National Rifle Association and others have requested veto of this bill in part because it does not exempt firearm carriers with a valid permit under R.S. 40:1379.3 or unintentional violators. In addition, I have signed House Bill No. 44, which creates the crime of reckless or criminally negligent discharge of a firearm within 1,000 feet of certain public events, including parades.

For these reasons, I have vetoed House Bill No. 523 and hereby return it to the House of Representatives.

Sincerely yours,

Bobby Jindal

Governor
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like he did right. What possesed Ernst to author such a bill?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Sounds like he did right. What possesed Ernst to author such a bill?
    I was thinking the same thing about this guy? I don't know him at all, he's not the representative in my district...........I had to look him up, he's in New Orleans........'nuff said huh?

Representative Gregory Ernst
    Republican District 94

Gregory L. Ernst is serving as temporary successor to Rep. Nicholas Lorusso. Note by PPK, it seems that Lorusso has been called away for military duty and Ernst has taken his place temporarily. I wonder if Lorusso would have authored this failed bill?
    On February 4, 2009 House Speaker Jim Tucker, by authority of Art III, Sec 4 (F) of the Constitution of Louisiana , Act 702 and Act 931 of the 2008 Regular Session, appointed Gregory L. Ernst as temporary successor.

E-Mail Rep. Gregory Ernst
    DISTRICT MAP - 2003 CENSUS

DISTRICT OFFICE ADDRESS
    4431 Canal Street
    Suite B
    New Orleans, LA 70119

LEGISLATIVE AIDE
    Nathan Abercrombie

(504)483-4711
    (504)483-4713 (Fax)

COMMITTEE ASSIGNMENTS
    Administration of Criminal Justice
    Civil Law and Procedure
    Judiciary

CAUCUS MEMBERSHIP
    Louisiana Republican Legislative Delegation

BIOGRAPHICAL DATA

OCCUPATION
    Attorney

EDUCATION
    Harvard College, A.B., 1987; Tulane Law School, J.D., 1992

PARISH(ES) REPRESENTED
    Orleans

CORRESPONDING SENATE DIST(S)
    3, 4, and 5

YEAR ELECTED

FINAL ELIGIBILITY TERM
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    wow, goooo Bobby!! He seems to be in the news a lot lately and quite level headed when it comes to 2A issues.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

He appears to be quite conservative, good news in my book!

VIP Member
    That's two pro-2A moves by Jindal this week.

If he runs he's got my support. Remember, in the state of Illinois and especially in Chicago each resident has the right to vote not only early, but often.

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    That's two pro-2A moves by Jindal this week.
    Sounds like the Gov is on the ball...those in LA be sure to email and thank him...he needs to hear some support.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Sounds like the Gov is on the ball...those in LA be sure to email and thank him...he needs to hear some support.
    Exactly right. I've already sent him my thank you, and equally important the NRA played a big role in this too, as did the Louisiana Shooting Association.

Speaking of the NRA, which I fully support, I encourage everyone to join. They do carry a lot of weight and they are our strongest friends. I don't necessarily agree with everything they do, but heck I don't necessarily agree with everything that I do, or what my wife does, or anyone else. None of that has ever stopped me from being a Life Member and buying memberships for others in my family. Now is not the time not to join.

Links