Attack on Ken Cuccinelli's RKBA legislation

Attack on Ken Cuccinelli's RKBA legislation

This is a discussion on Attack on Ken Cuccinelli's RKBA legislation within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; IMHO, I suspect an organized liberals attack on Ken Cuccinelli is the real driver of this steady drumbeat of attacks on legislation he was instrumental ...

VIP Member

Thumbs down Attack on Ken Cuccinelli's RKBA legislation

IMHO, I suspect an organized liberals attack on Ken Cuccinelli is the real driver of this steady drumbeat of attacks on legislation he was instrumental in having become law.

Note that the Roanoke Times (Roanoke, Virginia) ignores that Virginia is an open carry State. Anyone who can own a handgun can carry it.

Note that the Roanoke Times ignores that in Virginia a hunter safety course (with no focus on handguns) meets the education requirements for CC.

Note that they ignore that any honorably discharged Vet meets the education requirements -- whatever or not they ever had handgun training.

Cuccinelli's position is that our Must-Issue CC is about having no criminal, no mental health problems, etc.

It is not a privilege to be earned -- and the RT can't stand that.

They don't buy that the RTBA is a Right.

Casey's right; gun law's too lax - Roanoke.com

Editorial: Casey's right; gun law's too lax

We have to agree with the columnist. He shouldn't qualify for a permit.

Roanoke Times columnist Dan Casey thought he'd see just how hard it is to qualify for a concealed carry handgun permit.

He took an online class that -- thanks to a change in the law pushed by Republican candidate for attorney general Ken Cuccinelli and enacted over Gov. Tim Kaine's veto -- is all that's required to meet the education and training requirement for a concealed weapon permit.

It took Casey less than an hour and a half and $40 to view the streaming video course and take a short, multiple choice test. He answered 15 of 20 questions correctly, which was good enough for a passing grade.

With the resulting certification, Casey, who's never picked up a handgun in his life, much less proven any competency or proficiency with a firearm, could get a permit to carry a concealed handgun.

As Casey himself wrote, "It is completely nuts that Virginia law would deem me competent enough with a handgun to get a concealed carry permit."

We could not agree more (no offense to Casey, of course). Someone who wants to roam about in public with a hidden weapon should have to prove some level of competency in handling a firearm safely.

An online course with no hands-on lesson or assessment is wholly insufficient to determine whether someone is competent enough to earn a concealed carry permit.

Someone should sponsor legislation to repeal this change.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    I' sorry but I think passing an online course is not enought to be allowed to CC, regardless of VA being an OC state. There should alos be a shooting test just like we have here in SC. You have to pass both a written and driving test to get your DL, why not the same for CCing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    I' sorry but I think passing an online course is not enought to be allowed to CC, regardless of VA being an OC state. There should alos be a shooting test just like we have here in SC. You have to pass both a written and driving test to get your DL, why not the same for CCing.
    Because driving is a privilege to be earned and approved by passing bureaucratic Administrative Branch processes.

RKBA is a Right, which does not have to be earned (only defended by every generation) and which should only be lost by an individual through decreed by or proceeding from a court of justice in the Judicial Branch. FWIIW -- In Virginia, CHPs are issued by the Courts -- not the police or other Administrative Branch agencies.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

With regard to the online class in question (which is located at Concealed Handgun Permit Firearms Safety Class - The Concealed Carry Institute), I actually took this class and the content of the video is actually pretty solid. It is from a certified NRA instructor. True it has no hands-on component and people can debate the merits of that. However, I took this class BEFORE the law passed recognizing online classes for Virginia CCW, and my county, Loudoun county, accepted the certificate and issued my CCW before the law was changed. In fact, before the online class law passed, almost ALL of Virginia was already accepting this class, with the exception of a handful of counties in the tidewater area, and possibly the city of Richmond.

Personally, I felt no guilt for not taking a course with a hands-on component. I had been to the range many many times and shot many many rounds prior to taking the online class, so to me, it was merely confirming what I already knew.

Dan Casey is rabidly anti-gun and enjoys rocking the boat. His last hornet's nest was stoking up straw-man hysteria over the possibility that no matter which party wins the governor's seat in Virginia this Nov, concealed carry in restaurants will probably get a signature at the governor's desk (whereas until now it has been vetoed).

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I have to agree with DaveH, the second amendment is a RIGHT! there shouldn't even be a permit system to exercise it. As he correctly pointed out, to open carry, you need nothing to show skill or competence. Nationwide we should have the same laws as Alaska and Vermont.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

VIP Member
    I agree that the 2A is a right, but, I don't agree that no level of co,petence needs to be met inorder to carry, that is just irresponsible IMO.

I guess I'm a little lost here...did the newspaper mention the training requirements for some dirtbag to steal your wallet or car with a weapon?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I vote for the responsibility to carry. The right to carry sounds like you gotta beg for it. This country has required me to stand up under fire and do my level best to kill those shooting at me but seems to think I ain't bright enough to do the same in my own home.

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    I agree that the 2A is a right, but, I don't agree that no level of co,petence needs to be met inorder to carry, that is just irresponsible IMO.
    Could you please inform me what test you took before you excercised your 1A right and posted the above?

Thanks
    MikeV

Quote Originally Posted by llongshot View Post
    I vote for the responsibility to carry. The right to carry sounds like you gotta beg for it. This country has required me to stand up under fire and do my level best to kill those shooting at me but seems to think I ain't bright enough to do the same in my own home (town).
    There, I fixed it for you.
    MikeV

Indiana has had concealed carry since about 1934-NO TRAINING required, just go to the sheriff or city police and apply with a set of finger prints. If it were a problem don't you think something would have been done about it in over 70 years????????

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEV View Post
    Could you please inform me what test you took before you excercised your 1A right and posted the above?

Thanks
    MikeV
    +1 Why do you need to pass a test to exercise a right?
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Heck, even NY only requires Fingerprints and a background check.

Here's the great part about being an adult in American. You shouldn't have to test out to get your rights. The other side of having rights is being responsible with them. You want to conceal carry? Fine. Do so responsibly and take whatever courses or training YOU think you need to be competent. Keep the government out of my business and my rights.

Ohio has a bill in Congress right now to remove the permit requirement (HB 129) and another to allow CC in food establishments that serve alcohol (HB 203). Go Ohio!
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

Links