Sotomayor being grilled on 2A

This is a discussion on Sotomayor being grilled on 2A within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sotomayor is getting grilled on the 2A as I type this. Seems to be defering on a lot (regarding incorporation) because of 3 pending federal ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sotomayor being grilled on 2A

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar

Sotomayor is getting grilled on the 2A as I type this. Seems to be defering on a lot (regarding incorporation) because of 3 pending federal cases related to 2A.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Makes me think of the old song "nowhere to run, baby nowhere to hide".....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I'm listening to the hearings live. She skirted that issue like all of the others. Hatch did a good job of grilling her and I think highlighted her tendency to dimiss our second amendment rights.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

I thought her answers seemed very empty. She'd cite a precident case with no explanation or deep thought behind it. Usually, I end up learning a bit by listening to these confirmation hearings on judges but in this situation I felt very lost. I just had no idea where she stood or even how inteligent she is in being able to think for herself. As I said, everything was based on a precident with no explanation of why one case applied as precident and why another did not.

I think I have to give Hatch an A+ on his questioning and understanding of the constitution. At least based on what I saw of his questioning here. I know nothing of the man and his voting record.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Administrator
    The whole thing of appointing people to positions based on gender or race is whats bothering me. She makes no secrets about why she is there. Scary stuff.
    "Just blame Sixto"

God help us all!!!

She must have some smarts to get to this level, I just didn't think she showed it very well here.

Uh-oh, I see SD is lurking. Wonder if he saw it...

Who is John Galt?

I saw Feinstein lauding over her as an impartial, non-activist, nominee who's sided with republicans on constitutional issues over 98% of the time. If Feinstein loves her that much then the red flags have to be raised. Not to be overly political here on DC.com but I bring up Feinstein because we all know how she feels about the 2A.

Who is John Galt?

At least she isn't going to replace any of the conservatives on the SCOUSA, just another liberal. That doesn't mean that her views don't bother, becuse they do. The next to leave will be Ginsberg, another liberal, so the balance of the court won't change yet, its the ones after Ginsberg that I'm more worried about.

I just heard that Al Franken is on the judiciary committee. How in the world did that happen?

Also, my Senator, Jeff Sessions, did a good job of grilling her for her statements regarding being a "wise latina" and that the "courts are where policy is made".

I hope this is the last Justice that Obama gets to appoint. Any others like this one and we could see a fundamental shift. I know Scalia is getting old, but still very sharp. Also, Kennedy is up there in age. Hopefully neither of those two, or Roberts, Alito or Thomas will be retiring while the Great One is in office.

I like how Leahy responds to any mention of Obama's actions as a Senator during SCOTUS hearings. To the effect of "President Obama, had his appointment hearings last November and clearly passed".

MT
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

As 2A supporters, we are OK for now, but the next appointment could be the 'killer' to our rights...stay tuned.

Stay armed...vote...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't think they will vote her down. Better be praying for thehealth of the remaining conservatives. It is a shame that it has come to what gender and what race someone is and how we have to meet the criteria not because of skill or knowledge but because it's "politically correct".

I am so fearful for America. God Bless the USA.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

This is what the nation bought when it elected Obama and the Dems a super majority in the Senate.
    To me, the SCOTUS was the primary factor in this election. But we lost it, and now must roll with the punches as best we can.

In the past the Republicans did not show the guts to fight anyway, and for GHW Bush to nominate Breyer is a disgrace. I wonder who recommended Breyer to Bush?
    I am thankful for GWB that he got some good ones on the SC.

Regards,
    Jerry

Let me know when you guys want to rendezvous for that in-arms protest.

Everybody keeps saying the balance of the court won't change; the problem is that she will be there for at least 30 years and it is one more liberal on the court.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links