Current restrictions for gun ownership

This is a discussion on Current restrictions for gun ownership within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Per the ATF.GOV website: ATF Online - Firearms FAQs (Question B5) Are there certain persons who cannot legally receive or possess firearms and/or ammunition? [Back] ...

Thread: Current restrictions for gun ownership

Current restrictions for gun ownership

Per the ATF.GOV website: ATF Online - Firearms FAQs

(Question B5) Are there certain persons who cannot legally receive or possess firearms and/or ammunition? [Back]

Yes, a person who -

(1) Has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year;

(2) Is a fugitive from justice;

(3) Is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance;

(4) Has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution;

(5) Is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States or an alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa;

(6) Has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;

(7) Having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship;

(8) Is subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner; or

(9) Has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence

(10) Cannot lawfully receive, possess, ship, or transport a firearm.

Do you HONESTLY think this list will not get LARGER????

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by worried View Post

(Question B5) Are there certain persons who cannot legally receive or possess firearms and/or ammunition? [Back]

Yes, a person who -

(1) Has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year;

(4) Has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution;

(5) Is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States or an alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa;

(7) Having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship;

(8) Is subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner; or

No, I do not believe the list will get larger. Proper vigilance and lobbying will keep it the way it is.
    Do whatever floats your boat, but don't dare to try and sink mine.

It hasn't changed since 1986. Continued vigilance on our part will help keep it from expanding.

Yes, a person who -

I don't understand this one? Can someone explain this to me?
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

No I do not think that this list will grow larger in my lifetime, but I'm in my 60's...can't speak of those in their 20's.

Stay armed...VOTE...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeytown View Post
    I don't understand this one? Can someone explain this to me?
    Dishonorable discharge is a bad deal. Cannot own a firearm, vote, get a gov job. Few other things I think also. I believe it stems fron the fact that to get a dishonorable you have to do some serous stuff. It's kind of like a felony conviction.

And there a x types of discharge from military(someone please correct me if wrong);
    Honorable
    Other than honorable
    Medical
    Admin?
    Failure to adapt?
    Dishonorable
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

I googled it.

TYPES OF DISCHARGE The five types of discharge are as follows: 1. Honorable 2. General (under honorable conditions) 3. Other than honorable 4. Bad conduct 5. Dishonorable

Some personnel think because a general discharge is given under honorable conditions, it is as good as the honorable discharge itself. However, that assumption is not true. A general discharge indicates satisfactory service but not to the established standard of the Navy.

Honorable Discharge
    To receive an honorable discharge, you must have received a rating from good to excellent for your service to the Navy. Even though you only qualify for a general discharge, you may receive an honorable discharge under two circumstances. 1. When you are being separated because of a disability incurred in the line of duty 2. When you receive any awards for gallantry in action, heroism, or other meritorious service

General Discharge
    You receive a general discharge when you separate from the service, under honorable conditions, without a sufficiently meritorious military record to deserve an honorable discharge. Other Than Honorable Discharge You receive an other than honorable discharge for misconduct or security reasons.

Bad Conduct Discharge
    You receive a bad conduct discharge (BCD) when you separate from the service under conditions other than honorable. You receive a bad conduct discharge only by an approved sentence of a general or a special court-martial.

Dishonorable Discharge
    You receive a dishonorable discharge (DD) when you separate from the service under dishonorable conditions. You may receive a dishonorable discharge only by a general court-martial and as appropriate for serious offenses calling for dishonorable separation as part of the punishment.

EFFECTS OF THE TYPE OF DISCHARGE Some people will try to convince you (or themselves) that the type of discharge they receive will make no difference in their civilian lives. Others will tell you that a discharge under less than honorable conditions can be upgraded if they show themselves to have been good citizens for a time. How wrong they are! Although some discharges have been upgraded by the Board for Correction of Naval Records, the percentage is very low.
    After finding this it looks like it is for the Navy. Maybe each branch has different discharges??? Also like to add my Navy discharge is HONORABLE..
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

If the question is whether the government can make a process more complex and time consuming then it already is the answer is "yes". Legislators live to legislate and feel compelled to create new legislation whether there is a legitimate need for it or not.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Currently in the works:

(11) Name is similar to someone on a terrorist watch list.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Honestly? Could very easily. Nobody should fool themselves into thinking it couldn't. All of us could become criminals in a heartbeat....wanted by our own government....quite possibly even with a price on our heads. Good reasons not to trust your fellow man.

Links