New Yorkers Against Gun Violence Calls on Senators Schumer and Gillibrand

This is a discussion on New Yorkers Against Gun Violence Calls on Senators Schumer and Gillibrand within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; NEW YORK, July 17 /PRNewswire/ -- New Yorkers Against Gun Violence blasted the U.S. Senate for considering the gun lobby's deadly legislation which would force ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Yorkers Against Gun Violence Calls on Senators Schumer and Gillibrand

New Yorkers Against Gun Violence Calls on Senators Schumer and Gillibrand

NEW YORK, July 17 /PRNewswire/ -- New Yorkers Against Gun Violence blasted the U.S. Senate for considering the gun lobby's deadly legislation which would force communities across the nation to permit untrained and dangerous individuals from other states to carry hidden and loaded handguns in public. NYAGV said that it is imperative for the safety of all New Yorkers that Senators Schumer and Gillibrand strongly oppose the gun lobby's extremist agenda by opposing this dangerous amendment and filibustering the amendment if necessary.

Amendment No. 1618 has now been added to the defense authorization bill (S. 1390) by Senator John Thune (R-SD) and the Senate will vote on it on Monday evening, July 20. Amendment No. 1618 would create a national system for the carrying of concealed handguns, commonly referred to as CCW (Concealed Carry Weapon) licenses. The amendment would allow individuals with state-issued CCW licenses to carry their handguns in any state that issues concealed handgun licenses today the vast majority of states.

The Thune Amendment is particularly dangerous to New York which has some of the most stringent restrictions on concealed carry permit holders. But many states have weak laws and issue individuals permits after only a simple computerized background check through a database that is missing millions of disqualifying criminal and mental health records. That means New York would be swamped with armed individuals from out of state carrying hidden and loaded firearms that would risk the safety of residents, families and law enforcement officials.

"We urge Senators Schumer and Gillibrand to issue a clear statement to their constituents and colleagues that 'Enough is Enough' by voting NO on this amendment and filibustering it if necessary. This dangerous legislation contains provisions that eviscerate New York's ability to properly protect its citizens and puts children, families and law enforcement at grave risk from encounters with armed individuals from out of state who carry deadly firearms in public," said Jackie Hilly, Executive Director of NYAGV. "New Yorkers were horrified when the gun lobby enacted an amendment to the credit card reform legislation and permitted the carrying of concealed weapons in our National Parks. This amendment is a completely unrelated and radical gun lobby amendment, and it must be stopped for the sake of the country's public safety."

"New York State desperately needs leaders to enact measures to reduce the epidemic of gun violence in America and stop gun trafficking not spending time appeasing the gun lobby's extremist agenda," said Barbara Hohlt, Executive Director of States United to Prevent Gun Violence.

LINK

Last edited by mrreynolds; July 18th, 2009 at 08:08 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Because we all know that wackos and criminals only carry with permission.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

(Near the Second Amendment But Unfortunately Not Affected By It)
    Shumer has one of those rare NYC carry permits.

Of course, we're not supposed to know.
    NRA 2AF IDPA
    Tactical Pistol Instructor

jfl
    A beautiful article !!!
    Half truths, emotional tirades, inuendos (or should the plural be 'inuendi'), outright lies, false facts, really a textbook piece of propaganda; W. Cronkite must have turned in his new grave

I hate to start the day by reading this
    However, thanks for sharing, it's always good to know the ennemy's tactics.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

As usual they are relying on ole Chucky Schumer for help in trying to kill this bill. Leave it to "a criminal's best friend" for assistance!
    Last edited by Pikachu711; July 18th, 2009 at 10:38 AM.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Not much question where the writer of that garbage stands on the issue.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Did not know Schumer had a permit.

...That means New York would be swamped with armed individuals from out of state carrying hidden and loaded firearms that would risk the safety of residents...

Shouldn't that read 'risk the safety of CRIMINALS'?

Seems to me that I saw "Chucky" in a movie when he was little?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I have learned one thing, anti-gunners will lie cheat blackmail, anything underhanded to get their way.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Here's a little more info on Chucky Schumer's permit! Enjoy.

American Chronicle | Second Amendment Hypocrites: Senators Schumer and Feinstein
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I emailed Schumer & Gillibrand and voiced my support for the amendment. But then again, I often fart into a strong wind.

I would like to take this moment as a New Yorker to apologize to the rest of the country for the idiot liberal sheep that spew ther stupidity and overlook facts and logic.
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    I emailed Schumer & Gillibrand and voiced my support for the amendment. But then again, I often fart into a strong wind.

Thanks for trying! My desire to visit the state of nazi york just went into the negative zone.

Joker1

Quote Originally Posted by jbone View Post
    I would like to take this moment as a New Yorker to apologize to the rest of the country for the idiot liberal sheep that spew ther stupidity and overlook facts and logic.
    Dude! Escape if you can!

Joker1

P.S. Thanks for the apology

Swamped and horrified lol.
    Whatever, NY doesn't even require training for our CCWs.
    How do these Anti's always get this stuff in the newspapers? Pure crap as usual.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links