National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Vote Imminent‏

This is a discussion on National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Vote Imminent‏ within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Vote on Right to Carry Coming Soon -- Please urge your Senators to vote YES! Gun Owners of America E-Mail Alert 8001 Forbes Place, Suite ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Vote Imminent‏

National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Vote Imminent‏

Vote on Right to Carry Coming Soon
    -- Please urge your Senators to vote YES!

Gun Owners of America E-Mail Alert
    8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102, Springfield, VA 22151
    Phone: 703-321-8585 / FAX: 703-321-8408
    Gun Owners of America

Friday, July 17, 2009

A vote to protect your right to travel out-of-state with a firearm could come to a vote next week even as early as Monday!

Senators John Thune and David Vitter are the sponsors of S. 845 a bill that will establish concealed carry reciprocity amongst the several states.

Senators Thune and Vitter offered the bill as an amendment (#1618) to the Department of Defense authorization bill (H.R. 2647).

This provision will use the constitutional authority allowing Congress to enforce "full faith and credit" across the country, so that each state respects the "public acts, records, and judicial proceedings" of every other state (Article IV).

The benefit of the Thune/Vitter legislation is that unlike other, competing measures it would protect the right of any U.S. citizen to carry out of state (regardless of whether he possesses a permit), as long as he is authorized to carry in his home state. This is important because of states like Vermont and Alaska, where residents can carry concealed without prior approval or permission from the state... in other words, without a permit!

ACTION: Please urge your Senators to vote YES on the Thune/Vitter concealed carry reciprocity amendment that will be offered to the Department of Defense authorization bill and NO on any modifying amendments. This vote could come as early as Monday, so please act on this right away!

You can use the Gun Owners Legislative Action Center at LINK to send your Senators the pre-written e-mail message below.

----- Pre-written letter -----

Dear Senator:

Please support the Thune/Vitter amendment to the Department of Defense authorization bill. This amendment will protect the right of citizens to carry firearms outside of their home state without violating the rights of the other states. Thus, the reciprocity language masterfully protects the principle of federalism while also promoting Second Amendment rights.

A person's right to defend himself and his family should not end at the
    border of his state.

I urge you to vote for the Thune/Vitter concealed carry amendment and to oppose any modifying actions that seek to weaken their amendment.

Sincerely

Last edited by mrreynolds; July 18th, 2009 at 09:06 AM.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Vitter is my senator, so I know how he'll vote on it.

Now our other senator (Mary Landrieu) on the other hand???.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Done my duty and wrote emails, but I think it's safe to assume this isn't going anywhere.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Sent my emails to my senators. I urge everyone to sign up for the GOA emails.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Done. Sent two long, personally composed emails to Utah senators.

One letter supports the amendment while a second letter was sent to amend the first letter, requesting that the senators look at the unclear legal question of the amendment regarding non-resident licensing program in the states that could need a budget surplus and that residents of the restrictive home states will want to keep/possess non-resident license for whatever reason.

I also mentioned that restrictive states need to liberalize gun control laws to allow the issuance of license to good citizens and still be covered by the national reciprocity act amendment if passed. It's fairly easy to obtain unrestricted carry license in some counties in upstate New York, but impossible for ordinary citizens in downstate NY and NYC.

Active and retired LEO have full carry rights under LEOSA federal law since 2004, why not ordinary good citizens?

Every state recognizes driver license upon documented proof of identification and residency to change to new state driver license. It's about time for the states, especially notorious restrictive states, to recognize out-of-state concealed carry license that provide maximum security and protection for self, family and property. Except for Wisconsin and Illinois that deny lawful citizens' carry rights.

Done! Sent letters to my two state senators. Let's hope that enough of us doing this will have some impact on their votes. Let's keep our fingers crossed!!!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Same thread started yesterday and running here:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ming-soon.html
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

I haven't been following this thread, but this is something we really need to support. GAO and NRA-ILA are both very strongly supporting this amendment. (NRA telephoned a little earlier tonight.) This legislation would not impact States' rights to grant carry permits. It would only force reciprocity.

If you haven't contacted your senators yet, here's the link to the Senate directory: http://www.senate.gov/general/contac...nators_cfm.cfm

I just wrote both of my senators via their web page. Writing both of them took a total of ten minutes.

Sent letters to my two Senators..... which includes Dodd..... good luck
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

I wrote my 2 senators (Lincoln & Pryor) with something similar to:

"I am writing to ask you to support the National Right-to-Carry Amendment offered by Senators Thune and Vitter to the National Defense Authoization Act. The world we live in has become very dangerous and unfortunately, not all states have elected to recognize our 2nd amendment rights to keep and bear arms for the purposes of self defense. When I was in the Navy, I took an oath not unlike the one you took when sworn in to the Senate to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States. I believe the time for a national right-to-carry reciprocity is long overdue as currently there are some states that I refuse to step foot in because my ability to lawfully defend myself and my family is in jeopardy.
    Thank you for your consideration and support for our second amendment rights."

So how about you? It looks like we are up to 9 people now.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar

+

=

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Done - but I don't think they listen once they're elected.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss9 View Post
    This legislation would not impact States' rights to grant carry permits. It would only force reciprocity.
    So, you support the Federal government forcing their will on the states. It seems there are many big government, unlimited power types on the forum.

For conservatives, we have an uphill battle for sure.

If you haven't contacted your senators yet, here's the link to the Senate directory. I just wrote both of my senators via their web page. Writing both of them took a total of ten minutes.
    I contacted my Senators and urged them to vote NO. This bill is an atrocious power grab and another example of abuse of the Constitution, specifically the Tenth Amendment.

RESCHEDULED

Examining S. 845, The 'Respecting States Rights and Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2009'

Senate Judiciary Committee
    Subcommittee on Crime and Drugs

DATE: July 23, 2009
    TIME: 02:30 PM
    ROOM: Dirksen-226
    OFFICIAL HEARING NOTICE / WITNESS LIST:

July 15, 2009

NOTICE OF RESCHEDULED SUBCOMMITTEE HEARING

The hearing before the Senate Committee on the Judiciary, Subcommittee on Crime and Drugs entitled "Examining S. 845, The 'Respecting States Rights and Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2009" previously scheduled for Tuesday, June 23, 2009 has been rescheduled for Thursday, July 23, 2009 at 2:30 p.m. in Room 226 of the Senate Dirksen Office Building.

Chairman Specter will preside.

By order of the Chairman

[LINK]

Saw this in USATODAY.Com this morning.

By John Thune
    The courts have held that the right to bear arms is a fundamental, individual right under our Constitution. My bipartisan amendment supported by more than 25 senators would ensure that right does not end at the state line, by allowing individuals to carry lawfully concealed weapons across state borders, while at the same time respecting the laws of the host state.

Misunderstandings about this amendment are rampant, fueled by interest groups and lobbyists predicting a return to the Wild West. The truth is far less exciting. If it becomes law, this bipartisan amendment will apply only to people who are not prohibited by federal law from possessing a firearm. It will not allow for carrying a concealed weapon into any state or area that chooses not to permit concealed carry. In fact, it will require full compliance with all of the laws of the state in which the firearm would be carried. It will not nullify state laws governing the places and manner in which weapons can be carried, and it will not be an end run around any state law.

In the decades that concealed carry permits have been issued by the states, permit holders have demonstrated that they are overwhelmingly law-abiding and responsible in the exercise of their rights. Surely it is not a coincidence that while the number of privately owned guns in this country is at an all-time high, violent crime rates are at historical lows. It is estimated that there are more than 5 million conceal carry permit holders in the U.S., and that thousands of crimes are thwarted or deterred every year as a result. When criminals don't know whether their victim might be armed, they are far less likely to strike. Which is exactly why this amendment makes so much sense.

The rhetoric of some gun control advocates may be overheated, but the record is clear. This amendment, like previous bipartisan legislation on allowing firearms in national parks subject to state laws, strikes the right balance between individual and states' rights. Like that earlier law, this amendment would strengthen our citizens' Second Amendment rights.

Sen. John Thune is a Republican from South Dakota.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links