Schumer sounds alarm over 'sneak' GOP gun bill‏

This is a discussion on Schumer sounds alarm over 'sneak' GOP gun bill‏ within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sen. Charles Schumer warned that Republican "sneak attack" legislation could render New York State's law requiring handgun owners to obtain concealed carry licenses toothless. The ...

Sen. Charles Schumer warned that Republican "sneak attack" legislation could render New York State's law requiring handgun owners to obtain concealed carry licenses toothless.

The legislation, an amendment to the defense appropriations bill offered Friday by Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.), would require New York and other states that issue concealed-carry firearms permits to honor such permits issued in other states.

"To say that someone who gets a license in another state can then take their gun into Central Park or into Eisenhower Park without any checking with local law enforcement is appalling and could affect our safety," Schumer (D-N.Y.) said in an interview.

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.), who opposed restrictions on gun ownership as an upstate congresswoman, opposes the amendment, her spokeswoman said Sunday.

New York is one of 10 states that does not recognize concealed carry permits issued by other states.

Criteria for obtaining a concealed carry permit vary widely among the 46 states that allow the practice. Illinois and Wisconsin do not allow any form of concealed carry, while Alaska and Vermont allow it and do not require a permit.

Getting a handgun license in New York requires a county application and State Police approval.

To get a state license and a concealed carry permit here, a person must be 21 years old, never been convicted of a felony, never suffered from documented mental illness and never had a state handgun license revoked. State law also allows for a license to be denied if the applicant is deemed without "good moral character."

Schumer estimated the amendment has the support of about 55 senators and pledged a filibuster to prevent a vote on the amendment if necessary.

The National Rifle Association Friday announced its steadfast support for the Thune amendment.

"Now is the time for Congress to acknowledge these changes in state laws and recognize that the right to self-defense does not end at state lines," the NRA said.

A May amendment to federal credit card legislation that allowed concealed carry permit holders to take guns into national parks passed with bipartisan support in both houses.

LINK

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    I am surprised---and delighted--that this has 55 supporters.
    Not surprised on the turncoat Gillibrand--let's not forget this in November of 2010.
    I do hope this passes.
    One thing the Dems have learned--or should have--is that gun control is political suicide.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Schumer complains that permit holders wouldn't have to check in with local law enforcement, what would that accomplish? If it would garner his support, amend the bill to include "checking in" when entering NY.
    As for Benedict Gillibrand, make her a one term senator.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

VIP Member
    Oh those darned law abiding citizens are at it again. Trying to exercise their constitutional rights.
    Schumer, if you're reading this..( )...... Get a grip....
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Schumer makes me more angry than any other fool in politics I can think of. Bad enough that he and his ilk have ruined NYS, but their influence on national issues is sickening.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

(Near the Second Amendment But Unfortunately Not Affected By It)
    Schumer himself has an unrestricted NYS pistol permit.

How do you feel now?
    NRA 2AF IDPA
    Tactical Pistol Instructor

State law also allows for a license to be denied if the applicant is deemed without "good moral character."
    How the hell did schumer (purposely not capitalized) get a NYS permit?
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

(Near the Second Amendment But Unfortunately Not Affected By It)
    schumer, Howard Stern, Robert DeNiro, Don Imus, Howard Stern, Ronald Lauder, Edgar Bronfman Sr., Donald Trump, Harvey Keitel, Joan Rivers, Arthur Sulzberger, and Bill Cosby.

Do you detect a pattern?

Fame and money.
    NRA 2AF IDPA
    Tactical Pistol Instructor

The sad part of this is that good legislation has to be attached to of items that must be passed. But I suppose that it could be said that we learned it from the "loyal" opposition. Lets hope the amendment gets 5 more supporters.

Of course CHuck Schumer has a unrestricted carry permit. It's only the elite that deserve personal protection, right? And our upstate senator, Ms. Gillibrand has sure started changing her tone on our firearms rights.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    Oh those darned law abiding citizens are at it again. Trying to exercise their constitutional rights.
    Schumer, if you're reading this..( )...... Get a grip....
    ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by V65magnafan View Post
    schumer, Howard Stern, Robert DeNiro, Don Imus, Howard Stern, Ronald Lauder, Edgar Bronfman Sr., Donald Trump, Harvey Keitel, Joan Rivers, Arthur Sulzberger, and Bill Cosby.

Do you detect a pattern?

Fame and money.
    They all have permits? Very interesting. I can't really picture Joan Rivers packing heat. Who knew.

VIP Member
    Of course CHuck Schumer has a unrestricted carry permit. It's only the elite that deserve personal protection, right? And our upstate senator, Ms. Gillibrand has sure started changing her tone on our firearms rights.
    And let's not forget the taxpayer funded bodyguards he has protecting him.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I would be very surprised, shocked really, if this ever passed. It would be interesting to see the 'anti-gunners' running around like a bunch of ants whose ant hill had been kicked open...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Something will happen to get this not passed.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

So are they saying they don't want out of state people hunting squirrels in Central Park
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links