VT families take out ad opposing national CCW

This is a discussion on VT families take out ad opposing national CCW within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by dukalmighty The Ironic thing is if legally concealed handgun owners were allowed to carry on campus It's very likely some of their ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VT families take out ad opposing national CCW

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    The Ironic thing is if legally concealed handgun owners were allowed to carry on campus It's very likely some of their kids would be alive today,but that is something they will never be able to wrap their brains around,if cho had killed people with an axe they wouldn't be against people owning axes

X2

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by gwhall57 View Post
    Well, maybe the originator should have specified
    "Va Tech", and not "VT", which for about 99% of the US population, stands for "Vermont".
    I think we prefer not to be called "Va Tech." almost no one calls Georgia Tech, "Ga Tech." VT, VPI, Tech, Virginia Tech, or Hokies, not necessarily in that order, are what we like to be called. jmo

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joe26 View Post
    I think we prefer not to be called "Va Tech." almost no one calls Georgia Tech, "Ga Tech." VT, VPI, Tech, Virginia Tech, or Hokies, not necessarily in that order, are what we like to be called. jmo
    +1

And they may be making a case for State's rights, but I kind of doubt it, I for one would like to see all schools allow CCing, or at the very least some sort of training how to handle an active shooter situation, although I do prefer for arming responisble teachers and students.

No way opponents of this bill were motivated by some sort of desire to let states decide the question--they're just against expansion of gun rights in any form.
    The whole idea of a Bill of Rights was to guarantee certain rights that no state could infringe. Texas and NC for eg can't take away your freedoms of speech and religion, so why should any state be able to curb your 2nd amendment rights?

After Heller, gun rights proponents (like me) are looking for an expansion of its practical significance. It won't happen w/ this government, just as they shot down this bill.

My best hope is that mid-term elections in 2010 send the same message as the "Republican Revolution" in 1994, 2 yrs after the country elected Slick Willy.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by modelo View Post
    The whole idea of a Bill of Rights was to guarantee certain rights that no state could infringe.
    This is absolutely wrong. It is difficult to understand how so many do not understand the purpose of the Bill of Rights. Its SOLE purpose is to prevent the Federal government from infringing on the rights of the people and the states.

No wonder the nation is in such trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by joe26 View Post
    "Va Tech" is pronounced "Virginia Tech". What's the problem?
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

VIP Member
    Albeit we are getting way off topic, too many sports announcers do use the "Var" Tech pronunciation. Never hear them use "Jar" Tech.
    Last edited by DaveH; July 23rd, 2009 at 10:06 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    ...Some of the survivors and families of the victims of the deadly Virginia Tech shootings...In a full-page ad in Monday's Richmond Times-Dispatch, about 30 families and individuals urged...vote against...concealed carry amendment...
    Valid group of interested parties.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    ...The ad contends the amendment would allow residents from states with weak laws on concealed weapons to bring their handguns into Virginia....
    Truth in advertising.

I disagree with the message, and don't like the implied assumptions, but believe it was done well and sounds as if done sincerely.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I believe the problem comes about when people say it as "Vatech."

I think the requirements for a carry permit are pretty weak compared to most states. An online class counts to get it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links