Bloomberg: DC Gun Bill 'Power Grab' Is 'An Outrage'‏

This is a discussion on Bloomberg: DC Gun Bill 'Power Grab' Is 'An Outrage'‏ within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Mayor Bloomberg did not mince words today in bashing the US Senate for being poised to vote on an amendment that would make it easier ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bloomberg: DC Gun Bill 'Power Grab' Is 'An Outrage'‏

Mayor Bloomberg did not mince words today in bashing the US Senate for being poised to vote on an amendment that would make it easier to take concealed weapons across state lines.

The measure, known as the "Thune Amendment" because it was proposed by South Dakota Republican John Thune, has been attached to a Defense Authorization bill that would provide funding for troops overseas and thus be difficult for senators to vote down.

In a conference call this afternoon with fellow members of his Mayors Against Illegal Guns group, Bloomberg called the amendment "anti-police" and "pro-gun trafficker".

The mayor accused senators of using service men and women as "pawns to take away our safety from local criminals," adding: "It's just an outrage." Bloomberg also argued that to require one state to recognize the laws of another flies in the face of "historic state's rights".

The bill and its amendment is scheduled to come up for a vote tomorrow, and a pre-vote hearing that was originally scheduled to be held has been scuttled.

"It is a terrible piece of legislation, and the only ways that you could ever get it through is in the dead of night, tied to another bill, holding your nose and praying that nobody sees it," Bloomberg said. "...It's up to us to make sure that it's not going to get done that way."

Bloomberg said he has been lobbying Sens. Chuck Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand in hopes of blocking the amendment. Schumer has threatened to lead a filibuster.

Gillibrand, with whom Bloomberg initially did not see eye-to-eye on gun control, opposes the amendment, too, and told the mayor: "We won't let this happen," he recalled.

This morning, Mayors Against Illegal Guns took out a full-page ad in USA Today expressing opposition to the amendment.

[LINK]

Whatever, give me a break.
    Nice prop to put the police casket in there.

VIP Member
    If it upsets Commissar bloomberg and Senator schemer it has to be good.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by NYcarry View Post
    Whatever, give me a break.
    Nice prop to put the police casket in there.
    Probably the funeral of a cop shot by some dirtbag who doesn't care about any of the 20,000 gun laws already on the books.

Loonberg has no feelings for the common folks...you think he goes anywhere without lots of guns surrounding HIM?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would expect nothing less than this garbage from Bloomberg.

Quote Originally Posted by mrreynolds View Post
    This morning, Mayors Against Illegal Guns took out a full-page ad in USA Today expressing opposition to the amendment.
    I would be willing to bet we are all against illegal guns, the problem is Bloomberg and company would like ALL guns to be illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by JungleJim View Post
    I would be willing to bet we are all against illegal guns, the problem is Bloomberg and company would like ALL guns to be illegal.
    Except the ones carried by his body guards paid for by our taxes
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    If it upsets Commissar bloomberg and Senator schemer it has to be good.
    ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

How true!!

He always makes my head hurt trying to find anything in anything that he says that even hints at logic.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I vote we MAKE NYC secede from the rest of New York State.

Loonieberg is an embarrassment to Americans and civil rights. he should be fired and forced to leave the country.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Bloom is off Bloomberg’s Vigilante Gun Shop Sting
    http://www.saf.org/viewoe.asp?id=213

By Alan Gottlieb

Almost from the outset, something smelled rotten about a “sting” mounted last year by New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg in an effort to target alleged rogue gun shops in five different states for selling guns illegally.

Bloomberg dispatched private investigators to conduct this vigilante operation, apparently neglecting to advise the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) what they were up to. These “investigators” had no law enforcement authority to engage in what may have been illegal “straw man” purchases to entrap some 15 different dealers.

The odor ripened when Bloomberg filed civil lawsuits against these gun shops, rather than turn over evidence to the proper authorities for criminal prosecution. Bloomberg’s office refused to turn over that evidence, and instead the billionaire mayor launched a high-profile media campaign demonizing the targeted gun shop operators.

When he announced the sting, and associated lawsuits, he took a cheap shot at ATF, declaring the agency asleep at the wheel.

And then Bloomberg, with the partnership of another anti-gun municipal politician, Boston Mayor Tom Menino, launched Mayors Against Illegal Guns. This coalition’s purpose was purportedly to campaign for laws that crack down on gun shops selling guns that found their way into criminal hands.

But now it turns out there is more than one fly in the ointment. Flies are attracted by foul odors. The anti-gun Joyce Foundation provided $175,000 to Bloomberg’s group. And recently, Anchorage, Alaska Mayor Mark Begich, Rio Rancho, New Mexico Mayor Kevin Jackson and Idaho Falls, Idaho Mayor Jared Fuhriman have bailed out. All essentially explained that – surprise of surprises – there is more to the coalition agenda than they had initially understood.

Begich, Jackson and Fuhriman wisely turned their backs on what amounts to a political lynch mob, out more for headline-grabbing junk lawsuits and legislation targeting everything from gun shows to types of firearms law-abiding citizens may own, claiming that eroding the rights of good people will somehow prevent crimes committed by bad people.

And now the Justice Department has essentially cooled Bloomberg’s jets. W. Larry Ford, ATF Director for Public and Governmental Affairs, revealed that the agency is investigating Bloomberg’s rogue sting operation “in order to determine if violations of federal firearms laws occurred.” Just days later, Michael Battle, director of the executive office for United States Attorneys at the Department of Justice, sent a letter warning Bloomberg’s administration that it could face “potential legal liabilities” if such sting operations continue. Battle also said the Justice Department will not be filing criminal charges against any of the 15 gun dealers targeted by Bloomberg’s 2006 lawsuits over alleged “straw man” purchases. Such operations lack “proper law enforcement authority,” Battle’s letter warned.

Though criminal charges may never be filed against Bloomberg or his agents provocateur in the gun shop sting, two shots have been fired across Bloomberg’s bow, and he really ought to lower his sails. Likewise, so should the more than 150 other mayors who were beguiled by headlines to join Bloomberg’s anti-gun crusade.

Going after suspected illegal gun dealers, especially outside of one’s jurisdiction, is not a job for mayors or private investigators they hire. That’s a job for the ATF and federal prosecutors. Bloomberg now stands cautioned that his antics are under scrutiny. Other mayors, lulled into joining with Bloomberg, might take this as a signal they need to reconsider that affiliation.

In politics, opportunities to change course and do something smart come along rarely, but opportunities to do something stupid come knocking every day. Bloomberg, and his contemporaries, have been handed a chance to wise up. Let’s see if they are smart enough to take the hint.

Alan Gottlieb is founder of the Second Amendment Foundation (Second Amendment Foundation Online) and chairman of the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms (CCRKBA :: Homepage).
    Bloomberg is not going to let a little thing like the law, or juristictional limits stand in HIS way. If he would spend as much effort going after ... oh...say...criminals in NYC it might make NYC safer.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

I have zero respect for any politician who doesn't even respect the term limits of his office. He defines the term elitist.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

No worry Schumer may have my back...

errr or not

Thank you for your e-mail. Each and every piece of correspondence I receive is important because it allows me to better understand the New Yorkers I serve in the United States Senate.

As you can imagine, my office receives a great number of messages every day regarding a variety of issues – this is particularly true of e-mails. It makes me proud to know that my constituents take an active role in our government by corresponding with me, and I look forward to responding to your concerns in greater detail. In the meantime, I just wanted to let you know that your e-mail has been received, and to ask for your patience until I send you a more detailed response.

Again, thank you for writing. Please feel free to visit my website Senator Charles E. Schumer to follow my work in the Senate and to learn more about the services my office can provide to you.

Warmest regards

Quote Originally Posted by NYcarry View Post
    No worry Schumer may have my back...

errr or not

Thank you for your e-mail. Each and every piece of correspondence I receive is important because it allows me to better understand the New Yorkers I serve in the United States Senate.

As you can imagine, my office receives a great number of messages every day regarding a variety of issues – this is particularly true of e-mails. It makes me proud to know that my constituents take an active role in our government by corresponding with me, and I look forward to responding to your concerns in greater detail. In the meantime, I just wanted to let you know that your e-mail has been received, and to ask for your patience until I send you a more detailed response.

Again, thank you for writing. Please feel free to visit my website Senator Charles E. Schumer to follow my work in the Senate and to learn more about the services my office can provide to you.

Warmest regards
    Schumer is a Giant Butt-hole
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Vermont hasn't fallen into the pit of Hades because of its sane appreciation for the simple realities surrounding defensive, life-saving tools (among which, firearms is one).

What has Bloomberg and others been smoking to believe that criminals will behave any differently when some of the shackles around the necks of upstanding citizens are removed?

Still, I don't believe it's in the state's best interest to have the Fed's poking the snout where it shouldn't be poked.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Vermont hasn't fallen into the pit of Hades because of its sane appreciation for the simple realities surrounding defensive, life-saving tools (among which, firearms is one).

What has Bloomberg and others been smoking to believe that criminals will behave any differently when some of the shackles around the necks of upstanding citizens are removed?

Still, I don't believe it's in the state's best interest to have the Fed's poking the snout where it shouldn't be poked.

it's not about crime, it's about control. Thats all loonieberg wants
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links