Defensive Carry banner

CSPAN LIVE VID of the US Senate on National Reciprocity

3K views 57 replies 37 participants last post by  RETSUPT99 
#1 ·
#31 ·
What I find funny is that the D senator from IN voted Yea, and the R senator from IN voted Nay.

And Voinovich from OH was the only other R to vote Nay.

Very interesting vote. But not nearly along party lines.

#33 ·
Coming from IN, I was quite pissed. I sent off both a congratulatory email and an angry one. Surely they won't be read but it doesn't make sense. IN recognizes all CCWs, but only 23 others recognize mine. You'd figure it'd make sense to want IN to be recognized everywhere. Sense and politics don't mix of course.

#32 ·
%*#@!&$ Frankin!

Being a life long resident of Minnesota, I have seen my share of fools get elected. Hell, Jesse "The Body" Ventura was our Govenor!

Al is strike two...Three strikes and I am moving to Texas!

I should consider myself fortunate, both of my parents grew up in Wisconsin. I could have been born there!

#42 ·
Senate rejects concealed weapons measure - Capitol Hill- msnbc.com

Senate rejects concealed weapons measure
'This is no minor shift in policy,' said Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif.

WASHINGTON - In a rare win for gun control advocates, the Senate on Wednesday rejected a measure allowing a person with a concealed weapon permit in one state to also hide his firearm when visiting another state.

The vote was 58-39 in favor of the provision establishing concealed carry permit reciprocity in the 48 states that have concealed weapons laws. That fell two votes short of the 60 needed to approve the measure, offered as an amendment to a defense spending bill.

Opponents prevailed in their argument that the measure violated states rights by forcing states with stringent requirements for permits to recognize concealed weapons carriers from states that give out permits to almost any gun owner.

"This is no minor shift in policy," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., whose state requires people to be fingerprinted, get gun training and to undergo a federal background check before issuing permits. "It in fact would be a sweeping change and I think with some deadly consequences."

The vote reversed recent trends where Republicans and gun rights Democrats from rural states joined to push pro-gun rights issues and block gun control legislation.

Congress this year voted to restore the rights of people to carry loaded weapons into national parks and the Senate moved to effectively eviscerate the tough gun control laws of the District of Columbia.

Congress has also ignored urgings from President Barack Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder to revive a ban on military-style weapons that expired in 2004.

The concealed weapons measure, promoted by the National Rifle Association and Gun Owners of America, would have made a concealed weapon permit from one state valid in the 47 other states with permit laws. Only Wisconsin and Illinois have no carry permit laws.

Protection for truckers
Sen. John Thune, R-S.D., the sponsor, said it would not provide for a national carry permit, and that a visitor to another state would have to obey the limitations of that state, such as bans on concealed weapons in restaurants or other places.

"Law-abiding individuals have the right to self-defense," even when they cross state lines, Thune said, citing the example of truck drivers who need to protect themselves as they travel.

Opponents, however, said the 48 states with permits have a broad range of conditions for obtaining those permits: some such as Alaska and Vermont, give permits to almost all gun owners. Others, such as New York, have firearm training requirements and exclude people with drinking problems or criminal records.

New York Democrat Charles Schumer raised the possibility of his state having to accept gun carriers from states that have few or no restrictions. Thune's proposal, he said, was "the most dangerous piece of legislation to the safety of Americans when it comes to guns since the repeal of the assault weapons ban."

Thune shot back that if a person from South Dakota with a carry permit visited Central Park in New York City, "Central Park will be a much safer place."

States' rights
Other opponents said the proposal infringed on states' rights, usually an important principle for gun rights groups. Sen. Richard Durbin, D-Ill., said it would override the laws of 11 states — California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Iowa, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, Oregon and Rhode Island — and the District of Columbia — which do not allow carry permit reciprocity with other states.

Sen. David Vitter, R-La., another sponsor, reminded his colleagues that the NRA and Gun Owners of America were scoring the vote, meaning it would be considered in their election evaluation of lawmakers.

NRA chief lobbyist Chris W. Cox said the last two decades have shown a strong shift toward gun rights laws. "We believe it's time for Congress to acknowledge these changes and respect the right of self-defense, and the right of self-defense does not stop at state lines," he said.

Gun control groups were strongly in opposition.

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence said Mississippi residents can get a permit without any training, including ever shooting a pistol on a range. These permit holders could carry firearms in New York City, where police have broad discretion to deny permits, or Dallas, where permit applicants must undergo at least 10 hours of training.

"It is critical to our efforts that people who enter our state abide by the laws of our state which have supported the progress we are making," Newark, N.J., mayor Cory Booker said in a statement. "This is not a law that will in any way support our efforts to create a safer Newark."

#43 ·
Alphabetical by Senator Name
Akaka (D-HI), Nay
Alexander (R-TN), Yea
Barrasso (R-WY), Yea
Baucus (D-MT), Yea
Bayh (D-IN), Yea
Begich (D-AK), Yea
Bennet (D-CO), Yea
Bennett (R-UT), Yea
Bingaman (D-NM), Nay
Bond (R-MO), Yea
Boxer (D-CA), Nay
Brown (D-OH), Nay
Brownback (R-KS), Yea
Bunning (R-KY), Yea
Burr (R-NC), Yea
Burris (D-IL), Nay
Byrd (D-WV), Not Voting
Cantwell (D-WA), Nay
Cardin (D-MD), Nay
Carper (D-DE), Nay
Casey (D-PA), Yea
Chambliss (R-GA), Yea
Coburn (R-OK), Yea
Cochran (R-MS), Yea
Collins (R-ME), Yea
Conrad (D-ND), Yea
Corker (R-TN), Yea
Cornyn (R-TX), Yea
Crapo (R-ID), Yea
DeMint (R-SC), Yea
Dodd (D-CT), Nay
Dorgan (D-ND), Yea
Durbin (D-IL), Nay
Ensign (R-NV), Yea
Enzi (R-WY), Yea
Feingold (D-WI), Yea
Feinstein (D-CA), Nay
Franken (D-MN), Nay
Gillibrand (D-NY), Nay
Graham (R-SC), Yea
Grassley (R-IA), Yea
Gregg (R-NH), Yea
Hagan (D-NC), Yea
Harkin (D-IA), Nay
Hatch (R-UT), Yea
Hutchison (R-TX), Yea
Inhofe (R-OK), Yea
Inouye (D-HI), Nay
Isakson (R-GA), Yea
Johanns (R-NE), Yea
Johnson (D-SD), Yea
Kaufman (D-DE), Nay
Kennedy (D-MA), Not Voting
Kerry (D-MA), Nay
Klobuchar (D-MN), Nay
Kohl (D-WI), Nay
Kyl (R-AZ), Yea
Landrieu (D-LA), Yea
Lautenberg (D-NJ), Nay
Leahy (D-VT), Nay
Levin (D-MI), Nay
Lieberman (ID-CT), Nay
Lincoln (D-AR), Yea
Lugar (R-IN), Nay
Martinez (R-FL), Yea
McCain (R-AZ), Yea
McCaskill (D-MO), Nay
McConnell (R-KY), Yea
Menendez (D-NJ), Nay
Merkley (D-OR), Nay
Mikulski (D-MD), Not Voting
Murkowski (R-AK), Yea
Murray (D-WA), Nay
Nelson (D-FL), Nay
Nelson (D-NE), Yea
Pryor (D-AR), Yea
Reed (D-RI), Nay
Reid (D-NV), Yea
Risch (R-ID), Yea
Roberts (R-KS), Yea
Rockefeller (D-WV), Nay
Sanders (I-VT), Nay
Schumer (D-NY), Nay
Sessions (R-AL), Yea
Shaheen (D-NH), Nay
Shelby (R-AL), Yea
Snowe (R-ME), Yea
Specter (D-PA), Nay
Stabenow (D-MI), Nay
Tester (D-MT), Yea
Thune (R-SD), Yea
Udall (D-CO), Yea
Udall (D-NM), Yea
Vitter (R-LA), Yea
Voinovich (R-OH), Nay
Warner (D-VA), Yea
Webb (D-VA), Yea
Whitehouse (D-RI), Nay
Wicker (R-MS), Yea
Wyden (D-OR), Nay

#46 ·
From one of the other of the many identical threads:

Come on guys. This has been done to death and frankly I'm tired of hearing how everyone wants "x" and doesn't give a crap that it violates the Constitution. While I won't even go into incorporation (which is wrong), 2A is NOT incorporated. The 2nd Amendment protects your rights to own and carry. This much HAS been decided by SCOTUS. However, it only applies to Congress, not the States.

This law would be unconstitutional but you are free to work on your individual AG's to get HIM or her to get reciprocity for your state with the others. You guys will post all day to the forum but have you wrote your AG?

I would support a national wide compact amongst the states LIKE the driver's license but I can't support a Federal law to force states to accept other states license when the requirements are not similiar (unlike driver licenses).
Excellent! +1 :congrats:

At least a few other forum members understand the issues.

We barely escaped this time. Next time, with all the support of people who want to erase state borders, remove state governments in favor of a one world government, we might not be able to preserve the United States of America.

It is disappointing that many here are so self centered concerning their own interests that they will subvert the Constitution just to appease their personal desire. And many of these same people rail against government officials that act in their own self interests. I can think of a word that is approriate for that behavior. Can you?

#48 ·
We barely escaped this time. Next time, with all the support of people who want to erase state borders, remove state governments in favor of a one world government, we might not be able to preserve the United States of America.

It is disappointing that many here are so self centered concerning their own interests that they will subvert the Constitution just to appease their personal desire. And many of these same people rail against government officials that act in their own self interests. I can think of a word that is approriate for that behavior. Can you?
Probably a good point but I have to be surprised that there wasn't more debate (published anway) about the states rights end. All the debate and discussion published was a referundum on gun rights. The vote tally shows that too or you would expect more "conservatives" to vote "nay"

#49 ·
Agreed SD, as in regard to your quote of Faitmaker.

State rights is more important than taking a bone by way of federalizaton toward this item.
An interstate compact measure makes more and the most sense as in relation to licensing and reciprocity nation wide. Until that happens, and I don't see that occurring any time soon, I cannot personally get behind this nor any other similar efforts.

- Janq has a wallet full of multiple state specific carry permit$

#51 ·
I admit that I had mixed feelings about this and I applaud those of you who are standing up for states rights even though the end result would have been something that would benefit you.

The problem with lobbying states to expand the number of states they accept is that by definition, you have to lobby politicians outside of your jurisdiction. In Idaho, for example, all other states CCW's are accepted, so I have no politicians to lobby.

#54 ·
+1 Dingleman just lost his job

Kyl and McCain both voted Yea for AZ!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.