Defensive Carry banner

This will make your head explode...

2K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  RETSUPT99 
#1 ·
I was reading about the defeat of the Thune amendment at liberal blog Huffington Post... perusing the reader comments is enough to make you lose your mind...

Here's just a few...

Republicans support individual State's rights - until they want to try and prove their manhood with their little pistols, then they try to take the rights away. Not this time.

Perhaps one less doctor will be shot this year. Nah, right wingers will always find a way.

Senate Dems did not defeat the NRA. They voted contrary to the majority of their constituents, and for that they will pay in their next election.

doubtful. only cowards carry concealed

Oh forgot to add in my last post. I also worry that if a lot of people have CCW's, and the criminals know it, will that lead criminals to turn to surprise and disable tactics instead of confrontation? You cant defend yourself if the smarter criminals just jump you and knock you out first. The whole reasoning behind ccw It could possibility backfire for us.

When buying a gun, one must ask oneself this question - am I morally, ethically and religiously ready to take a life? The answer has always been no for me.

What about if that life is about to kill your child? And I don't mean while your child is still in utero.

If you do not want a firearm, then that is OK. But you have no right to infringe on my right to own legal firearms.

Ok. Can I still call Homeland Security on you?

Go ahead, own your gun. Just don't go brandishing it like a member of the A-Team.

Did you know that 19 Democrat senators voted in support of this amendment? Do you think we are going to forget their names? I would say NOT!

What? How about, when you're in my state, abide by my state's laws, or go home to your state. I don't care about Goober's ability to defend his big rig at the rest area. My state does not allow concealed weapons because we can read fancy big-city numbers and determine that innocent people, not criminals, are likely to be killed.

I'm a 2nd Amendment supporter, but I agree this usurps state's rights guaranteed by silence in the constitution in favor of federal legislation. This is wrong by this standard as well as giving anyone who can qualify anywhere for a concealed carry permit the right to come into my state armed. I certainly wouldn't want Florida (to name a state) residents walking around DC with concealed weapons.

You do know that in case of home invasions, the people who have guns in their home are often shot by them.

As opposed to the people without guns, who are only beaten, robbed, raped, and murdered.

And they often shoot the intruders as well. Should somebody else's incompetence be used to force you into being an unwilling victim? Astonishing. I hear some people have car accidents also... No doubt we need to ban them.

When the federales come to confiscate your belongings, you will be glad there are those of us who will never turn in our weapons or submit to registration or licensing of them. My arsenal is my only guarantee that I will not have to surrender my property to whomever is trying to take it, government or criminals(sorry to be redundant).

Hey, paranoid extremist. Nobody wants your guns or mine.

I do. Maybe that's why they don't let me in the government...

Another victim of tiny wienie syndrome.

Another nutty extremist.

These crazies don't realize that an armed populace cannot defeat a modern army.

How is it polite to carry a gun and always be ready to kill someone? The paranoia must eat away at the people's minds, seriously.

Please take your gun and go home, we don;t want them in NY, by the way I ride the subway everyday for over 50 years and never felt the need for a gun, so stay home, and keep your gun out of my beloved and safe city.

What nobody seems to understand is that the Constitution states that citizens have the right to "bear arms". When the document was written it was eluding to an "armed militia" because there was no standing military. The amendment does not state in any way that it is our right to "own" a gun. Bearing (in the original document) means a member of the militia has the right to have the gun in his possession until which time it is requested to be returned. Nowhere in the amendment does it explicitly state that 'ownership' is a right. I doubt anyone really reads the Constitution; maybe we should really review, re-read and study before we start whining about "losing our liberties".

Let's not forget that when the US Constitution was drafted, there were no law enforcement agencies of any kind. So, it did make sense back then, but it doesn't make any today.

A gun in the home is 22 times more likely to be used on its owner than on an intruder.

Your household gun is several hundred times more likely to be used against against you than you using it against an intruder.

gun loving racists--no more, no less!

Whew! I was afraid that no one would throw a completely unwarranted and bogus race card in the mix!

I can carry my concealed pistol crossing the following state lines :Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Florida with no problem whatsoever. However if I travel north to Philadelphia or New York, I cannot carry my concealed pistol in West Virginia or New York. The legislation would permit me to do so on the infamous New York City Subway. Can you imagine, legally being on the IRT or BMT with an STI 45 acp? That would be lovely.

Here's on for ya...the state of TN, where I live, just overrode the Governor's veto of a law allowing citizens to carry a loaded, concealed gun into a bar or restaurant. Law took effect July 14th. Give it a few months and watch the bodies start piling up. Imagine, a drunk and with a gun, in public, with other drunks with guns?!?!? Way to go NRA!

This stuff goes on and on and on.... just an astounding monument to ignorance...

#2 ·
You do know that in case of home invasions, the people who have guns in their home are often shot by them.

A gun in the home is 22 times more likely to be used on its owner than on an intruder.

Your household gun is several hundred times more likely to be used against against you than you using it against an intruder.
You can tell who subscribes to the Brady Campaigns blatant lies without doing any fact checking.

My brain hurts. I feel dumber for having read that.

Edit:
just an astounding monument to ignorance.
I know there is a bumper sticker or something waiting to come out of that quote...

#11 ·

Huh, it seems that we handled the British just fine, just as the Afghanis handled the Russians. How quickly history is forgotten......

#14 ·
OMG, what idiots. So I guess I should feel good that someone kills me but I let them live, are you fucking serious??? If I have to take someone's life to prevent them from taking my own life and my families life I am ready to do so. I have no regret killing under that circumstance. That's why I carry, so I can live another day.

#16 ·
Hope you don't mind that I borrowed what you typed......

THEY WROTE
Republicans support individual State's rights - until they want to try and prove their manhood with their little pistols, then they try to take the rights away. Not this time.

WHAT I THINK THEY MEANT....
Since we on the left have no common sense and have no leg to stand on.....we'll just make a penis joke.

THEY WROTE
Perhaps one less doctor will be shot this year. Nah, right wingers will always find a way.

Big guns don't go off all by themselves....

THEY WROTE
Senate Dems did not defeat the NRA. They voted contrary to the majority of their constituents, and for that they will pay in their next election.

Majority of constituents are morons.

THEY WROTE
doubtful. only cowards carry concealed

Let's hope I never need a coward to save my life....

THEY WROTE
Oh forgot to add in my last post. I also worry that if a lot of people have CCW's, and the criminals know it, will that lead criminals to turn to surprise and disable tactics instead of confrontation? You cant defend yourself if the smarter criminals just jump you and knock you out first. The whole reasoning behind ccw It could possibility backfire for us.

I need my lithium......

THEY WROTE
When buying a gun, one must ask oneself this question - am I morally, ethically and religiously ready to take a life? The answer has always been no for me.

Would you shoot to kill or shoot to live?

THEY WROTE
Ok. Can I still call Homeland Security on you?

Oh...every American with a legal gun IS Homeland security.

THEY WROTE
Go ahead, own your gun. Just don't go brandishing it like a member of the A-Team.

You shouldn't brandish...how about concealed carry so as not to frighten the sheep?

THEY WROTE
Did you know that 19 Democrat senators voted in support of this amendment? Do you think we are going to forget their names? I would say NOT!

Next election, we're gonna do the right thing for the right people.

THEY WROTE
What? How about, when you're in my state, abide by my state's laws, or go home to your state. I don't care about Goober's ability to defend his big rig at the rest area. My state does not allow concealed weapons because we can read fancy big-city numbers and determine that innocent people, not criminals, are likely to be killed.

BUMPER STICKER TIME!!!....if guns are outlawed only.....etc

THEY WROTE

People who own guns should practice and become proficient with any firearm they own.....it's only common sense which we on the left don't have.

THEY WROTE
As opposed to the people without guns, who are only beaten, robbed, raped, and murdered.

As opposed to the criminal being wounded, dead or both.

THEY WROTE
And they often shoot the intruders as well. Should somebody else's incompetence be used to force you into being an unwilling victim? Astonishing. I hear some people have car accidents also... No doubt we need to ban them.

That's why hollow point ammo is safer than FMJ.

THEY WROTE
When the federales come to confiscate your belongings, you will be glad there are those of us who will never turn in our weapons or submit to registration or licensing of them. My arsenal is my only guarantee that I will not have to surrender my property to whomever is trying to take it, government or criminals(sorry to be redundant).

I should read the Second Amendment....but I have no common sense.

THEY WROTE
Hey, paranoid extremist. Nobody wants your guns or mine.

About what happened in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina......

THEY WROTE
Another victim of tiny wienie syndrome.

I have nothing useful to say so how about another penis reference?

THEY WROTE
Another nutty extremist.

Another Patriot.

THEY WROTE

I hope we never have to try.

THEY WROTE
How is it polite to carry a gun and always be ready to kill someone? The paranoia must eat away at the people's minds, seriously.

I don't need car or house insurance....what could happen?

THEY WROTE
Please take your gun and go home, we don;t want them in NY, by the way I ride the subway everyday for over 50 years and never felt the need for a gun, so stay home, and keep your gun out of my beloved and safe city.

You do what you want and I'll do what I want as long as we both don't infringe on each others rights....not feelings.

THEY WROTE
What nobody seems to understand is that the Constitution states that citizens have the right to "bear arms". When the document was written it was eluding to an "armed militia" because there was no standing military. The amendment does not state in any way that it is our right to "own" a gun. Bearing (in the original document) means a member of the militia has the right to have the gun in his possession until which time it is requested to be returned. Nowhere in the amendment does it explicitly state that 'ownership' is a right. I doubt anyone really reads the Constitution; maybe we should really review, re-read and study before we start whining about "losing our liberties".

I can't pick and choose my Amendments or definition of 'the people'.

THEY WROTE
Let's not forget that when the US Constitution was drafted, there were no law enforcement agencies of any kind. So, it did make sense back then, but it doesn't make any today.

I'm just a mindless idiot.

THEY WROTE

Come rob my house, I have no guns.

THEY WROTE
gun loving racists--no more, no less!

How many times is he gonna clean that thing?

THEY WROTE
I can carry my concealed pistol crossing the following state lines :Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Florida with no problem whatsoever. However if I travel north to Philadelphia or New York, I cannot carry my concealed pistol in West Virginia or New York. The legislation would permit me to do so on the infamous New York City Subway. Can you imagine, legally being on the IRT or BMT with an STI 45 acp? That would be lovely.

Bet the crooks would walk.

THEY WROTE
Here's on for ya...the state of TN, where I live, just overrode the Governor's veto of a law allowing citizens to carry a loaded, concealed gun into a bar or restaurant. Law took effect July 14th. Give it a few months and watch the bodies start piling up. Imagine, a drunk and with a gun, in public, with other drunks with guns?!?!? Way to go NRA!

I'm an idiot that doesn't understand personal responsibility.

#17 ·
The hits just keep coming... astonishing...

Good! I for one am tired of the ignorant and paranoid in America making gun policy. This purposed law was way out of line!

I guess the defeat of this bill ruined a lot of fantasies for the gun nuts. Good.

This is radical? People who have concealed carry licenses/permits are the most trustworthy citizens in this country. They DO NOT commit crimes! It has been proven time and time again that the more people (law abiding) that have guns in a community, the less crime there is. This is similar to a driver's license issue. Why the hate/fear on the left for honest citizens to carry guns?

Because they show overt signs of extreme paranoia and I don't want one of them shooting me when I ask for directions or accidently brush against them. I wouldn't even consider going to one of those national parks out west. These paranoiacs have destroyed common trust and tourism.

How come the Cons ONLY focus on the 2nd amendment and forget about the other rights, you know, like the right to privacy (abortions) and the right to equality under the law (gay marriage)? Only what suits their sick mentality.

But the reality is that the nuts can still carry assault weapons threw the middle of DC (and they do), just as long as they hold them out for everybody to see. We have so much to be thankful for.

I believe, that at the constitutional convention, after we create Universal Health Care, we need to consider revoking the 2nd Amendment. If we improve health care we can maybe save 4 or 5 thousand lives a year. If we kill the 2nd Amendment we could probably save 15 to 20 thousand lives a year and reduce the number of people in hospitals and prisons (mostly for shooting their own friends and families). But who is counting.

It is unlikely that the entirely unreasonable proposal of repealing the Second Amendment would attain sufficient support for passage, though it is somewhat laudible that you are suggesting an honest course of action, as contrasted with the common dishonest methods employed by other advocates of civilian disarmament who seek instead to simply ignore the Second Amendment. It should also be noted that the repealing of the Second Amendment would not inherently criminalize the possession of firearms.

Non-Sense. You are such a naive fascist. You progressives just keep on defecating on parts of the Constitution you don't like. It's called the BLACK MARKET. The government can't regulate it! People will still be able to get guns unless we have a total totalitarian government that watches our every move. When did progressives become such vicious tyrants?

Using guns and violence is not how civilized people should solve problems, among themselves or with their government. The Second Amendment is outdated and wrong. It should be discarded.

It is your own twisted logic that the 2nd amendment is outdated. You obviously have lived a privileged life and never had you or your family in a life-threatening situation. If you did I'm sure you would change your mind. People like you are very dangerous to our society. Please go live in Cuba or something.

How about a "sin" tax on bullets???

I wonder how many lives will be saved by the failure of this insane bill. BTW, I was thinking about the consitution and our 'founding fathers' a minute ago. Of course in the consitution it reads about maintianing a militia... nothing about individuals rights to own(in that time) a flintlock.
Anyway, now some righties whine about their right to own an AK47, AR-15 or concealed Glock with a 15 round clip. What to stop these nuts from saying their consitutional rights are being violated for not having the god given right to posess a nuke? The right to bear arms..... indeed. I actually think this was argued in the supreme court. I wouldn't put anything past these people.

I remember an old episode of "All in the Family" where Archie and Meathead were arguing about how to stop airplane hijackings. Archie's idea was to arm everybody who stepped into the plane with a gun, that way, if a hijacker tried to take the plane, the passengers could shoot him.
That's my sense of how a lot of people think -- give everybody a gun and we'd all be safer. It's pure insanity.

We have real strange conflicting purposes in this country. In many states, we are willing to lock up people for having a "joint", but it's okay for people to buy, and own assault rifles. We can talk all we want to about the second amendment, for it is in the constitution. But let's get real; for whether we hunt, or target practice, guns have only one inherit purpose-to kill! And at the end of the day, what the NRA represent is the business of selling guns, while hiding behind the constitution, and while urban gun violence is a common place occurence. So we, and the NRA can play all the games of delusions we wish to play. But one thing for certain, as long as we preoccupied with guns, it will always be a cosmically stark indicator that we are not truly civilized!

It took me a long time to figure out that I'm not against guns as much as I'm against the people who really, really like them. These trigger-happy birth certificate conspiracy nuts running the GOP through the NRA are dangerously crazy.

As a firearms owner, the more I hear people in real life and see these guys on the forums ranting about their third arm extensions, the more I doubt and question the wisdom of -this- society being armed. I don't consider most Americans all that responsible, politically or otherwise, for the most part and ownership of a weapon is a responsibility to take seriously and ponder deeply. I think of all these people I see driving their lethal weapons around while futzing with their cell phones and I shudder. I don't care if I get accused of snobbery and anti-Americanism, I'm just calling it as it is. If this society's gun-ownership advocates, such as the NRA, were concerned about perpetuating gun ownership, rather than just stirring up voter hysteria among their constituency, I suppose I'd feel differently. At the very least, I want a safety education standard and much stronger enforcement of the laws for any firearm ownership, before I even start to consider advocating that people be legally allowed unlicensed carry or a greatly reduced restriction on the issuing of permits. Here in Baltimore, having met a couple licensed-to-carry people, I concluded I was safer when they weren't packing, and it was because they were careless and macho in waving their weapons around. It was a fetish for them.

Defend themselves from what? The government? They've got IFV's and gunships. You think even a fully automatic rifle is going to stop the 25mm shells of an M242 from turning your house into a splintered husk? Or a salvo of 5" rockets from clearing you and any other 'government resisters" out in open confrontation? The whole myth of firearms as a resistance to tyranny overlooks the inherent difficulties of facing the military of a fully industrialized nation in the information age, and firearms aren't even the most effective weapon modern insurgents use against their targets. That whole scenario of the NRA rising up with guns to stop the tyranny got passed by years ago, if it ever existed; like minded fellows in France got cut down right after the invasion and then the resistance had to get smarter.

There's a liquor store owner in my town who owned several guns that he kept in his store. He wasn't shy about pulling them out on anyone he deemed worthy (potentially hostile or just plain mouthy). One Sunday he showed up to open the store when the other businesses around him were closed. As he was unlocking the front door someone cracked him over the head, dragged him inside, robbed him and stole all of his guns, all of them. Just possessing the gun on your person isn't making anyone safer. In fact, this man had made the community less safe by his irresponsible public demonstrations that he had guns and would pull them out at the drop of a hat on whoever he felt deserved it. The guys who want to get at your guns will do it. You can't be vigilant every minute and there are 100 ways that you can be separated from your guns. Thune calling his bill "common sense" is nonsense.

Good point. The criminals are not going to call anyone out for a gunfight at noon. Concealed weapons only encourage criminals to shoot at the first sign of trouble.

Hmm, the states with concealed carry laws - VA, TX, and FL have way lower handgun crime rates than states that do not allow it. Criminals want the least amount of resistance - that's what mass shootings usually happen in gun free zones - they know it's easy pickins

Well, I certainly wouldn't hold him up as an example, though. I own guns and I realize it is a really stupid move to walk around flashing it and advertising it to anyone who'd want to rob me. What the liquor store owner did was stupid and irresponsible macho-swaggering BS. Most gun owners do NOT subscribe to this sort of behavior.

Let's check the score, shall we?

In 2006, there were 30,896 gun deaths in the U.S: 12,791 homicides (41% of total deaths), 16,883 suicides (55% of total deaths), 642 unintentional shootings (2% of total deaths), 360 from legal intervention (1.2% of total deaths) and 220 from undetermined intent (.8% of total deaths).

(Numbers obtained from CDC National Center for Health Statistics mortality report online, 2009.)

abortions in 2005................... 820,151 At this rate it'll take 26.5 years just to catch up to 2005!

I've never really understood the whole CCW thing. Don't I have a right to know who is carrying a gun in my presence when I'm walking around with my granddaughter, or shopping somewhere? And if carrying a concealed weapon is supposed to deter criminals, wouldn't it make more sense that a gun in plain sight would be a better deterrent? But then, I don't get the whole gun culture. I do know that something like 50 people a day die by gun su1cide. That more than 53% of su1cides are done by guns. That gun violence is a health issue, it's so prevelant in this country.

Few if any criminals get killed by private citizens using their own weapons. If there were statistics to the contrary the NRA would have it posted on billboards.

Like that's going to prevent you from getting killed! BS you may think so but not necessarily. When are you gun nuts going to remember all of the school killings we have had? All the tragic shootings by people who own guns and are not in their right mind?

#18 ·
Fairly ridiculous justifications, on that blog. Many of those posters are suckin' on the syrup at the bottom of the Kool Aid jug.

HudsonValley, you've got it right. Upstanding citizens, left/right/other, simply don't gun down others, threaten others, brandish a damned thing, or cause these horrific situations to happen. Criminals are the ones at which such blind folk should be pointing their fingers.

#19 ·
ccw9mm, I have enjoyed your post and responses.....I live in NY...my Senator Chuck is so far to the left he's about to fall off the edge of the earth.....he and Uncle Bloomberg have been going on about the 'bad things that guns do' all over the TV lately...NYC Police Commish is also an anti...When men in a position to help the public, take away a fundamental God given right under the pretense that it's safer their way...they should be sued...let's go lawyer on 'em....that's right, we need a class action suit against the City of New York for not allowing good, honest citizens the ability to defend themselves....UNLESS the City agrees that it's citizens a have a guarantee from it's police department to fully protect them, on a personal 24/7.....everyone see where I'm going with this?......24/7 basis....we need more cops....1 to 1, it's the only way....a personal bodyguard for everyone in NYC.....it wouldn't be fair otherwise. We got any lawyers that want to play with the big boys? I could take time off of work and go to law school, just to, ahem, get the wording right on the paperwork....but since we've probably got lawyers on this site that might actually see the Constitution for what it really is.....possible? Ridiculous? Wouldn't it make a good news story on FOX that a group of NYC residents are suing the city for violating their right to properly defend themselves with all the BS paperwork they need to fill out under the guise of 'properly and correct'....just reasons to throw the papers out........the fox is in the hen house and the rats are in the corn.....time to clean house....

#20 ·
Your right, my head did explode. :aargh4:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.