Senate Rejects Controversial Concealed Weapons Measure

This is a discussion on Senate Rejects Controversial Concealed Weapons Measure within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Senators voted for the measure, 58-39, but it fell short of the required 60 votes for passage in an unusual setback for the gun rights ...

Thread: Senate Rejects Controversial Concealed Weapons Measure

Senate Rejects Controversial Concealed Weapons Measure

Senators voted for the measure, 58-39, but it fell short of the required 60 votes for passage in an unusual setback for the gun rights side, which has been able to muster majorities of Republicans and pro-gun Democrats to move its agenda through both the Bush and Obama administrations.

WASHINGTON -- The Senate sided with gun control advocates Wednesday by rejecting a measure that would have allowed people with concealed weapons permits to carry those hidden weapons across state borders.

Senators voted for the measure, 58-39, but it fell short of the required 60 votes for approval, based on a procedural agreement between Senate leaders.

It is an unusual setback for the gun rights side, which has been able to muster majorities of Republicans and pro-gun Democrats to move its agenda through both the Bush and Obama administrations.

Opponents say the concealed weapon proposal would force states with tough gun laws to accept gun-carrying visitors from states with weaker laws. The sponsor of the bill, Sen. John Thune, R-S.D., said that was not true and that gun-toters would have to follow the laws of the state they entered.

The gun proposal did not establish national standards for concealed weapons permits and would not have allowed those with permits to carry weapons into Wisconsin and Illinois, the two states that do not have concealed weapons laws.

Gun control groups were strongly in opposition.

So far this year gun rights advocates have had some successes in Congress. They attached a provision to a credit card bill signed into law that restores the right to carry loaded firearms in national parks, and coupled a Senate vote giving the District of Columbia a vote in the House with a provision effectively ending the district's tough gun control laws.

House Democratic leaders, unable to detach the two issues without losing the support of pro-gun Democrats, abandoned attempts to pass the D.C. vote bill.

The vote comes a day after the Senate completed what is probably the most controversial issue connected to the defense bill, voting 58-40 to eliminate $1.75 billion in the $680 billion bill that had been set aside for building more F-22 fighters. President Obama and Defense Secretary Robert Gates campaigned hard for removing the money, saying the Pentagon had enough F-22s and the money could be spent on more pressing defense needs.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Senate Rejects Controversial Concealed Weapons Measure - Political News - FOXNews.com
    Nothing says more about how you feel, than a lead flower.

2. Remove Ads

Ain't it something ?

I heard Shumer & how glad he was it was defeated, how this "would be disasterous and dangerous to all of our law enforement people and citizens". HE fought hard to defeat it. Comments like, "this would have allowed anyone in the USA to come to New York and legally carry a gun " . (lmao).

Even Harry Reid voted "for " it..... to convince his Nevada district he needs to be re-elected.

There was a "deal" that a Democrat bill 2 weeks ago would be allowed to go thru, if they allowed this one too. They had 62 votes, 2 extras in case, and someone convinced 4 of them to change their votes when it came time to go on record.

It's supposed to be brought back up for a vote again in 2 weeks.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    ... It's supposed to be brought back up for a vote again in 2 weeks.
    OK, folks. Time to man up and start writing, emailing, and calling your senators. Be courageous! An envelope, paper and a stamp cost about the same as, what, two shells?

I promise to contact my senators, by email, by snail mail, and by phone. I hope you'll join me. No, I'm not sure how to say it or what to say: I'm hoping that someone here can tell me if it will have the same bill number (or whatever they call it).

-Paymeister

VIP Member
    I heard Shumer & how glad he was it was defeated, how this "would be disasterous and dangerous to all of our law enforement people and citizens". HE fought hard to defeat it. Comments like, "this would have allowed anyone in the USA to come to New York and legally carry a gun " .
    That is what senator schemer is afraid of, people carrying legally, he could care less about those who carry illegally since he has his own armed bodyguards to protect him.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Links