Statement of Senator Patrick Leahy On the Thune Amendment - Page 2

Statement of Senator Patrick Leahy On the Thune Amendment

This is a discussion on Statement of Senator Patrick Leahy On the Thune Amendment within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by paramedic70002 Do laws in Vermont that reference a citizen's right to assemble, not work in NY? Does a citizen of NY deserve ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Do laws in Vermont that reference a citizen's right to assemble, not work in NY?

Does a citizen of NY deserve less inalienable rights than a citizen of Vermont?

This whole idea of states' rights (which I support, even though it died in 1861) as it regards interstate travel is no longer applicable when I can drive from my home in Virginia to Texas, Vermont or Florida in one day.

And while I am personally against gay marriage, I think all states should recognize it.

If we can't say that all Americans are equal in enough different ways, then maybe it's time to throw out either the Federal or State system all together.
    You've dove into a couple different things here. First, SCOTUS has not incorporated the 2A but they have the 1st so your analogy doesn't hold up here.

I'm curious as to why you think State rights (powers) died in 1861. Civil war? Pftt. That didn't take away state rights.

As long as there is a 10th Amendment, state rights are applicable and frankly you are starting to scare me.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

Quote Originally Posted by socal2310 View Post
    Those sentiments could have been communicated without using gun grabber code words. Like you just did for example. I'm sorry, it sounds like pandering to me.
    If you could just provide a list of words that are not to be used because they are gun grabber code, I will consider not using them. I doubt SD will though.

The difference here is the gun grabbers only say that when they don't want something. I'm pretty sure SD is for state rights all the time no matter the issue. As am I. Seems like many on here are fair weather constitution fans.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

CHL Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Faitmaker View Post
    If you could just provide a list of words that are not to be used because they are gun grabber code, I will consider not using them. I doubt SD will though.

The difference here is the gun grabbers only say that when they don't want something. I'm pretty sure SD is for state rights all the time no matter the issue. As am I. Seems like many on here are fair weather constitution fans.
    I'm sorry, I guess that was awkwardly worded. My beef remains with Leahy, not you or SD. I meant that Leahy should have avoided the expression "What works in..." :

As President, I will uphold the constitutional rights of law-abiding gun-owners, hunters, and sportsmen. I know that what works in Chicago may not work in Cheyenne. We can work together to enact common-sense laws....
    Using the exact same expression with the exception of the cities named sounds like pandering to me.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

I fully support states' rights. HOWEVER, the 2nd Amendment is a Federal, Constitutional right. The 10th Amendment states "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." The right to bear arms is consitutional right and cannot be superceded by an individual state.

IMO
    The 2nd Amendment is my gun permit.
    Issue Date: Dec. 15, 1791
    Expiration Date: NEVER

Quote Originally Posted by socal2310 View Post
    I'm sorry, I guess that was awkwardly worded. My beef remains with Leahy, not you or SD. I meant that Leahy should have avoided the expression "What works in..." :

Using the exact same expression with the exception of the cities named sounds like pandering to me.

Ryan
    As much as I hate to say it, isn't that the entire point of the state powers and protections? Because each community knows what is best for it? That's the beauty of the system, guys. The Feds are so far removed from the people they represent, they probably forget what their home states are about... Leave it to the states to decide what is best for them.

CHL Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Gardien View Post
    I fully support states' rights. HOWEVER, the 2nd Amendment is a Federal, Constitutional right. The 10th Amendment states "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." The right to bear arms is consitutional right and cannot be superceded by an individual state.

IMO
    Not to split hairs, but the 2nd Amendment is a protection of a right. It protects you from the Federal government. We have the right. The 2nd Amendment does NOT delegate any powers to Congress. The Amendments tell them what they CAN'T do. It restricts. Come on. This is 5th grade stuff. And because we, the people, have not given Congress or SCOTUS the right to determine what States can do, except through some very specific amendments, they cannot give each other that right or pass it to anyone else.

I realize that is your opinion, but unfortunately it's not the opinion of SCOTUS. Don't worry though. When SCOTUS, incorrectly, incorporates the 2nd Amendment to the States, you won't have to worry about the Feds making any laws.
    Last edited by Faitmaker; July 24th, 2009 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Clarity

CHL Holder

Amazing how many deny the 2A-- " ....shall not be infringed."

AND Leheys hand wringing should not be forgotten.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links