My idea for nationwide CCW / does it pass DC.com muster?

This is a discussion on My idea for nationwide CCW / does it pass DC.com muster? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know there are some out there that reject nationwide CCW in any form. Be that as it may... A Federal law that establishes nationwide ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My idea for nationwide CCW / does it pass DC.com muster?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

My idea for nationwide CCW / does it pass DC.com muster?

I know there are some out there that reject nationwide CCW in any form. Be that as it may...

A Federal law that establishes nationwide CCW permits.

Authority is based on the interstate commerce clause, the full faith and credit clause, the right to travel, and the Second Amendment to the US Constitution, which together with modern forms of travel, establish the basis for need of this legislation.

Cost of this will be minimal, as it requires only temporary effort on the part of a Federal agency to set up, and almost no ongoing maintenance.

1. A Federal agency, possibly Justice/FBI, establishes basic criteria.

2. First criteria is for anyone who possesses a valid permit from any state, district or possession, and visits a 'host' state that issues CCW permits.

2.a. Establish floor for basic requirements to receive Federal 'recognition' of a state, district or possession's permit. The 'floor' need not attempt to mirror states with restrictive criteria, but should be considered 'reasonable' as a reflection of averages. These requirements may be considered an example for States to follow in their own laws.

2.a.I Hours of training.
    2.a.II. Mandatory range time.
    2.a.III Background check.

2.b. A list of states is published that meet basic criteria. These states' permits are 'recognized' as nationally authorized. Other states that do not meet these standards may 'raise the bar' if they so choose. Residents of these states may possess and utilize out-of-state permits that meet the standard.

2.c. All laws regarding host state CC will be applied to out of state permittees.

3. Second criteria is for anyone who possesses a valid permit from any state, district or possession, and visits a 'host' state that does not issue CCW permits.

3.a. Sets basic standard of law for CC.

3.a.I Must notify LEO during official contact.
    3.a.II Permit not valid in government or K-12 school buildings.
    3.a.III Permit not valid if under the influence of alcohol or drugs other than those prescribed to the permittee.
    3.a.IV Permit not valid if you have been adjudicated mentally incompetent.
    3.a.V Permit not valid if it is not legal to possess a firearm (such as Felony conviction, restraining order, etc.).
    3.a.VI Permit not valid in any establishment that serves alcohol.
    3.a.VII Permit not valid during the participation in any crime.

3.b. Alternatively, CC in these states could be limited to interstate and state highway travel, extension to one mile off the interstate or state highway.

And if you want to go a different path, have permittees submit their CCW permits to a government agency for issuance of a Federal permit.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Absolutely not...this creats a dangerous slope...and toro feces always rolls downhill.
    The 2A is a right not a priviledge...all kinds of requirements like...2.a.I Hours of training, and 2.a.II. Mandatory range time...would only be the beginning...then there would be large fees (for each and every gun used)...fees for safety checks...and some kind of gun registration.

No thank you!
    The states, all of them, must recognize my driver's license...it should be the same for my CCW (my state can decide my CCW requirements)...PERIOD!

Stay armed...K.I.S.S....stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post

1. A Federal agency, possibly Justice/FBI, establishes basic criteria.
    I think the standard "if you can own a gun you're good to go" applies.

2.a.I Hours of training.
    2.a.II. Mandatory range time.
    I disagree with both of these.

2.a.III Background check.
    Same with NICS check.

2.b. A list of states is published that meet basic criteria. These states' permits are 'recognized' as nationally authorized. Other states that do not meet these standards may 'raise the bar' if they so choose. Residents of these states may possess and utilize out-of-state permits that meet the standard.
    Do not agree.

2.c. All laws regarding host state CC will be applied to out of state permittees.
    Seems reasonable and par for the course. No issues here.

3. Second criteria is for anyone who possesses a valid permit from any state, district or possession, and visits a 'host' state that does not issue CCW permits.

3.a. Sets basic standard of law for CC.
    3.a.I Must notify LEO during official contact.
    Do not agree.

3.a.II Permit not valid in government or K-12 school buildings.
    Don't agree. Government property is bought with taxpayer money, which is the general public which means it's public property.

Schools are a great place for criminals to shoot up. People should be armed.

3.a.VI Permit not valid in any establishment that serves alcohol.
    Don't agree. If I'm at Applebee's, like last night, eating with family, drinking a Pepsi, what is so bad about me being armed at the same time?

3.b. Alternatively, CC in these states could be limited to interstate and state highway travel, extension to one mile off the interstate or state highway.
    Then what's the point of the law then?

I don't agree with a lot of the proposal, including the one that was in the works.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    The potential for numbers 2 and 3 on your list was my fear of the Thune bill.

How about i just carry wherever I feel like it and I don't (otherwise) break the law. Nobody ever knows and I am keeping me and mine safe. It doesn't matter what state, country I'm in or what pair of shoes I'm wearing.

Go ahead, Say "Bahaa"
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    The states, all of them, must recognize my driver's license...it should be the same for my CCW (my state can decide my CCW requirements)...PERIOD!
    No, the states CHOOSE to recognize your drivers license. Why do you think they MUST recognize it?

It should be the same for your CCW and IT IS! Some states choose to recognize it.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    The states, all of them, do not HAVE to recognize your driver's license. They entered into a compact. They agreed. Any state *could* change it's mind. It won't happen, but the possibility is there. DLs are not Federally mandated. The Federal government does not mandate much of anything. They can't. Mostly they move through extortion using Federal funds as the hostage.

Sorry. I answered this before I noticed SD already addressed the error. For the record, I would be against this one as well for all the same reasons I have previously quoted. I also again say, if you guys want this so bad, start working on it through your state.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

NO!

The term "least common denominator" comes to mind. Even the basic standards you outline in 3a would be more restrictive than what many states (including FL) now enjoy.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

I think Tubby covered it pretty well.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

No thanks, I'll pass on the Feds doing it.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

this is not the domain of the feds. This is a states rights issue only. Do not try to erode this further. I want my local goverment where I have at least a little influnace to decide on this topic.
    [edit]
    patition your LOCAL goverment to reconise ALL other stats permits with no aditional requirments. if a few do that, then you will have nationwide.
    That is the way to get this done.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Wow. It's kinda nice to see more and more people understand. You are filling me with a little bit of hope.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    How about a law which simply states "Any permit issued by any state is valid throughout the United States and it's possessions". I know, too simple for Congress.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

How about if all the states were forced to respect the US Constitution's 2nd Amendment.

What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand.

If you are legal to own a firearm, you should be able to carry it anywhere you want to go. Period.

As long as you don't break any other laws, the mere posession of a gun should not be restricted.
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

And what, pray tell, have you EVER known the Feds to do right!~ No thanks, I'll keep the screwed up mess we have...............truly, all that needs be done is to ENFORCE the full faith and credit aspect of our Constitution................(which the FEDS refuse to do).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links