Defensive Carry banner

Washington Post Editorial: "Arm the Senate"

2K views 24 replies 24 participants last post by  DaveH 
#1 ·
washingtonpost.com

By E.J. Dionne Jr.
Monday, July 27, 2009

Isn't it time to dismantle the metal detectors, send the guards at the doors away and allow Americans to exercise their Second Amendment rights by being free to carry their firearms into the nation's Capitol?

I've been studying the deep thoughts of senators who regularly express their undying loyalty to the National Rifle Association, and I have decided that they should practice what they preach. They tell us that the best defense against crime is an armed citizenry and that laws restricting guns do nothing to stop violence.

If they believe that, why don't they live by it?

Why would freedom-loving lawmakers want to hide behind guards and metal detectors? Shouldn't NRA members be outraged that Second Amendment rights mean nothing in the very seat of our democracy?

Congress seems to think that gun restrictions are for wimps. It voted this year to allow people to bring their weapons into national parks, and pro-gun legislators have pushed for the right to carry in taverns, colleges and workplaces. Shouldn't Congress set an example in its own workplace?

So why not let Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.) pack the weapon of his choice on the Senate floor? Thune is the author of an amendment that would have allowed gun owners who had valid permits to carry concealed weapons into any state, even states with more restrictive gun laws. The amendment got 58 votes last week, two short of the 60 it needed to pass.

Judging by what Thune said in defense of his amendment, he'd clearly feel safer if everyone in the Capitol could carry a gun.

"Law-abiding individuals have the right to self-defense, especially because the Supreme Court has consistently found that police have no constitutional obligation to protect individuals from other individuals," he said. I guess that Thune doesn't think those guards and the Capitol Police have any obligation to protect him.

He went on: "The benefits of conceal and carry extend to more than just the individuals who actually carry the firearms. Since criminals are unable to tell who is and who is not carrying a firearm just by looking at a potential victim, they are less likely to commit a crime when they fear they may come in direct contact with an individual who is armed."

In other words, keeping guns out of the Capitol makes all our elected officials far less safe. If just a few senators had weapons, the criminals wouldn't know which ones were armed, and all senators would be safer, right? Isn't that better than highly intrusive gun control -- i.e., keeping people with guns out of the Capitol in the first place?

"Additionally," Thune said helpfully, "research shows that when unrestricted conceal and carry laws are passed, not only does it benefit those who are armed, but it also benefits others around them such as children."

This is a fantastic opportunity. Arming all our legislators would make it safer for children, so senators could feel much more secure bringing their kids into the Capitol. This would promote family values and might even reduce the number of highly publicized extramarital affairs.

During the debate, Sen. David Vitter (R-La.) quoted a constituent who told him: "When my family and I go out at night, it makes me feel safer just knowing I am able to have my concealed weapon."

Why shouldn't Vitter feel equally safe in the Capitol? Why should he have to go out on the streets to carry a gun?

The pro-gun folks love their studies. Sen. John Barrasso (R-Wyo.) offered this one: "A study for the Department of Justice found 40 percent of felons had not committed certain crimes because they feared the potential victims would be armed."

That doesn't tell us much about the other 60 percent, but what the heck? If it's good enough for Barrasso, let the good senator introduce the amendment to allow concealed carry in the Capitol.

Barrasso already dislikes the District of Columbia's tough restrictions on weapons. "The gun laws in the District outlaw law-abiding citizens from self-defense," he complained. So go for it, Senator! Make our nation's Capitol an island of firearms liberty in a sea of oppression.

Don't think this column is offered lightly. I want these guys to put up or shut up. If the NRA's servants in Congress don't take their arguments seriously enough to apply them to their own lives, maybe the rest of us should do more to stop them from imposing their nonsense on our country.

See less See more
#2 ·
E.J. Dionne Jr. needs a 'brain' enema. :yup::blink:
Perhaps if reduced the 'pressure' in his skull, he could think more clearly.:aargh4:

What he really should do is go for a walk in D.C. at night...alone...and see the true results of gun laws.

#4 ·
There's a big difference between restricting my right to carry in a small area that has professional armed security and reasonable access control and a large unsecured area such as a major city.

For my purposes, if there are metal detectors, limited entrances, and visible armed security (think airport), I don't feel my being armed significantly enhances my personal security.

#5 ·
I agree. I would tell the guy to go live over "across the bridge" and he will learn all about gun control first hand...

#6 ·
Only if....

If they believe that, why don't they live by it?

Congress seems to think that gun restrictions are for wimps. It voted this year to allow people to bring their weapons into national parks, and pro-gun legislators have pushed for the right to carry in taverns, colleges and workplaces. Shouldn't Congress set an example in its own workplace?
Only if the medics are standing by. Do you really trust them not to go back to "original intent" and engage in honor dual on the floor?

#12 ·
Only if the medics are standing by. Do you really trust them not to go back to "original intent" and engage in honor dual on the floor?
would that be a bad thing?:rofl:
it mught keep down the number of stupid laws.

#7 ·
Do Senators and Representatives have to pass through the metal detectors now? I thought the incident with Rep. Cynthia McKinney was about her not having her badge on that would allow her to by pass security. Of course E.J. -Don't Confues Me With Facts- Dionne Jr. is above getting the story right.

#9 ·
I love the poster I've seen that said the President travels with XX number of individuals carrying XX number of weapons to protect him...who's protecting you?

#13 ·
In Washington State, carry on the capitol campus is legal, including in the chambers of the Senate and House of Representatives. We have had citizens testify on 2A legislation while open-carrying a loaded handgun. I've never seen any reliable report that any of the legislators are carrying concealed, but I expect there are some firearms being carried on the floor.

If in Washington, why not Washington?

CP Lincoln

#14 ·
I gotta say I like the column... I realize it's intended to be an anti gun statement. However I like the stlye. I would love to see firearms carried there.

Based on this:
In Washington State, carry on the capitol campus is legal, including in the chambers of the Senate and House of Representatives. We have had citizens testify on 2A legislation while open-carrying a loaded handgun. I've never seen any reliable report that any of the legislators are carrying concealed, but I expect there are some firearms being carried on the floor.

If in Washington, why not Washington?

CP Lincoln
hopefully it's not far out. :hand10:

#16 ·
Dist. of Columbia

I was a Fire Marshal in D.C. and often worked with the Secret Service. I never had to go through the metal detectors. Through many State of the Union messges etc. I guess they had my clearances down pat. Whenever they asked me if I was "carrying" they would just assign me the approiate lapel pin. I won't tell you what that was but, I can tell you that the Secet Service are the most dedicated and professional people I've ever worked with. They have no problem with citizens being arned. (providing they know who they are) Kudos to the SS They do a great job, and get little recognition!

#18 ·
The guy is right, for the wrong reasons, but right nonetheless. Everyone who can be armed should have that right, everywhere, all of the time.IMO.

#22 ·
Too many members of congress would fail to qualify for a CC permit. Drunk driving, domestic violence, and criminal history aren't exactly uncommon amoug our elected representatives. And the president could not get a CC permit either: no birth certificate.

#23 ·
Too many members of congress would fail to qualify for a CC permit.
:haha: :rofl: :congrats:

But then they could just give themselves the OK (w/o the need for a CHP), like Kaine did for the State Prosecutors here in Virginia.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.