Washington Post Editorial: "Arm the Senate"

This is a discussion on Washington Post Editorial: "Arm the Senate" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; washingtonpost.com By E.J. Dionne Jr. Monday, July 27, 2009 Isn't it time to dismantle the metal detectors, send the guards at the doors away and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washington Post Editorial: "Arm the Senate"

Washington Post Editorial: "Arm the Senate"

washingtonpost.com

By E.J. Dionne Jr.
    Monday, July 27, 2009

Isn't it time to dismantle the metal detectors, send the guards at the doors away and allow Americans to exercise their Second Amendment rights by being free to carry their firearms into the nation's Capitol?

I've been studying the deep thoughts of senators who regularly express their undying loyalty to the National Rifle Association, and I have decided that they should practice what they preach. They tell us that the best defense against crime is an armed citizenry and that laws restricting guns do nothing to stop violence.

If they believe that, why don't they live by it?

Why would freedom-loving lawmakers want to hide behind guards and metal detectors? Shouldn't NRA members be outraged that Second Amendment rights mean nothing in the very seat of our democracy?

Congress seems to think that gun restrictions are for wimps. It voted this year to allow people to bring their weapons into national parks, and pro-gun legislators have pushed for the right to carry in taverns, colleges and workplaces. Shouldn't Congress set an example in its own workplace?

So why not let Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.) pack the weapon of his choice on the Senate floor? Thune is the author of an amendment that would have allowed gun owners who had valid permits to carry concealed weapons into any state, even states with more restrictive gun laws. The amendment got 58 votes last week, two short of the 60 it needed to pass.

Judging by what Thune said in defense of his amendment, he'd clearly feel safer if everyone in the Capitol could carry a gun.

"Law-abiding individuals have the right to self-defense, especially because the Supreme Court has consistently found that police have no constitutional obligation to protect individuals from other individuals," he said. I guess that Thune doesn't think those guards and the Capitol Police have any obligation to protect him.

He went on: "The benefits of conceal and carry extend to more than just the individuals who actually carry the firearms. Since criminals are unable to tell who is and who is not carrying a firearm just by looking at a potential victim, they are less likely to commit a crime when they fear they may come in direct contact with an individual who is armed."

In other words, keeping guns out of the Capitol makes all our elected officials far less safe. If just a few senators had weapons, the criminals wouldn't know which ones were armed, and all senators would be safer, right? Isn't that better than highly intrusive gun control -- i.e., keeping people with guns out of the Capitol in the first place?

"Additionally," Thune said helpfully, "research shows that when unrestricted conceal and carry laws are passed, not only does it benefit those who are armed, but it also benefits others around them such as children."

This is a fantastic opportunity. Arming all our legislators would make it safer for children, so senators could feel much more secure bringing their kids into the Capitol. This would promote family values and might even reduce the number of highly publicized extramarital affairs.

During the debate, Sen. David Vitter (R-La.) quoted a constituent who told him: "When my family and I go out at night, it makes me feel safer just knowing I am able to have my concealed weapon."

Why shouldn't Vitter feel equally safe in the Capitol? Why should he have to go out on the streets to carry a gun?

The pro-gun folks love their studies. Sen. John Barrasso (R-Wyo.) offered this one: "A study for the Department of Justice found 40 percent of felons had not committed certain crimes because they feared the potential victims would be armed."

That doesn't tell us much about the other 60 percent, but what the heck? If it's good enough for Barrasso, let the good senator introduce the amendment to allow concealed carry in the Capitol.

Barrasso already dislikes the District of Columbia's tough restrictions on weapons. "The gun laws in the District outlaw law-abiding citizens from self-defense," he complained. So go for it, Senator! Make our nation's Capitol an island of firearms liberty in a sea of oppression.

Don't think this column is offered lightly. I want these guys to put up or shut up. If the NRA's servants in Congress don't take their arguments seriously enough to apply them to their own lives, maybe the rest of us should do more to stop them from imposing their nonsense on our country.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

E.J. Dionne Jr. needs a 'brain' enema.
    Perhaps if reduced the 'pressure' in his skull, he could think more clearly.

What he really should do is go for a walk in D.C. at night...alone...and see the true results of gun laws.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sure, why not allow carry there? Unless someone thinks that our elected officials are not trustworthy enough....... Hmmmmm..... Maybe they shouldn't.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    There's a big difference between restricting my right to carry in a small area that has professional armed security and reasonable access control and a large unsecured area such as a major city.

For my purposes, if there are metal detectors, limited entrances, and visible armed security (think airport), I don't feel my being armed significantly enhances my personal security.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

I agree. I would tell the guy to go live over "across the bridge" and he will learn all about gun control first hand...
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

VIP Member

Only if....

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post

If they believe that, why don't they live by it?

Congress seems to think that gun restrictions are for wimps. It voted this year to allow people to bring their weapons into national parks, and pro-gun legislators have pushed for the right to carry in taverns, colleges and workplaces. Shouldn't Congress set an example in its own workplace?
    Only if the medics are standing by. Do you really trust them not to go back to "original intent" and engage in honor dual on the floor?

Do Senators and Representatives have to pass through the metal detectors now? I thought the incident with Rep. Cynthia McKinney was about her not having her badge on that would allow her to by pass security. Of course E.J. -Don't Confues Me With Facts- Dionne Jr. is above getting the story right.
    For those who understand, no explanation is necessary.
    For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible.

John

VIP Member
    The thought of Nancy Pelosi CCing makes me a little nervous!

I love the poster I've seen that said the President travels with XX number of individuals carrying XX number of weapons to protect him...who's protecting you?
    Desperate people do desperate things in desperate situations.

Heavily medicated for your protection.

Kimber Tactical Custom II, SIS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    E.J. Dionne Jr. needs a 'brain' enema.
    Perhaps if reduced the 'pressure' in his skull, he could think more clearly.

What he really should do is go for a walk in D.C. at night...alone...and see the true results of gun laws.
    I have a Rigid drill and lots of masonry bits...we might eventually get through that thing...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Pelosi needs that big airplane to haul around her armed guards. I doubt she walks around without some sort of protection. Take away her security and she would change her tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Only if the medics are standing by. Do you really trust them not to go back to "original intent" and engage in honor dual on the floor?
    would that be a bad thing?
    it mught keep down the number of stupid laws.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

In Washington State, carry on the capitol campus is legal, including in the chambers of the Senate and House of Representatives. We have had citizens testify on 2A legislation while open-carrying a loaded handgun. I've never seen any reliable report that any of the legislators are carrying concealed, but I expect there are some firearms being carried on the floor.

If in Washington, why not Washington?

CP Lincoln

I gotta say I like the column... I realize it's intended to be an anti gun statement. However I like the stlye. I would love to see firearms carried there.

Based on this:
    In Washington State, carry on the capitol campus is legal, including in the chambers of the Senate and House of Representatives. We have had citizens testify on 2A legislation while open-carrying a loaded handgun. I've never seen any reliable report that any of the legislators are carrying concealed, but I expect there are some firearms being carried on the floor.

If in Washington, why not Washington?

CP Lincoln
    hopefully it's not far out.
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    There's a big difference between restricting my right to carry in a small area that has professional armed security and reasonable access control and a large unsecured area such as a major city.

For my purposes, if there are metal detectors, limited entrances, and visible armed security (think airport), I don't feel my being armed significantly enhances my personal security.
    Uh-huh. Do you live in that facility or do you have to travel to and from it? How about your security up to their perimeter?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links