Writing Your Representatives

This is a discussion on Writing Your Representatives within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am just curious as to how many folks write, what I would consider a reputable letter, (Yes I know we want to rant) to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Writing Your Representatives

Writing Your Representatives

I am just curious as to how many folks write, what I would consider a reputable letter, (Yes I know we want to rant) to your representatives.

Regards
    Rick
    "Fail Your Way To Success"
    "A Goal without a Plan, is Just a Dream"
    "Age and treachery will win over Youth and Enthusiasm"

2. Remove Ads

I write my reps all the time. I some tines get the form letter response and sometimes not. But at least they know I care and more so I vote.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I do write but from the response I get it's useless. The only thing that is going to change anything is a change of votes. I'm not sure that will change any time soon. What amazes me that so many educated people can't see the lies during the political campaigning.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

I write to both state and federal legislators all the time. There are some sites that make it very easy..."Roy Beck/Numbers"...both my approvals and disgust must now number in the hundreds (for the last year). I know that some of the writing campagns have made a difference. Why do you think that the 'pass it quickly' health plan has been stalled? People need to keep writing and complaining about what is happening to this country...then remember to get out and vote.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I write my state reps, my congressman, and my senators. Sometimes it is difficult to keep the sarcasm down. The only one that acknowledges a message is my state assemblyman. The rest, well their time must be too important to bother with details.

I think it's a waste of my time. Representatives and Senators nowadays can only be swayed by money. They give little regard for the opinions of people that put them there.

VIP Member
    Interesting question, with respect to "reputable" letter as opposed to rant.

Formal writing is tough, or can be tough, and I'm afraid too many of us are unwilling to put a couple of hours effort into a short 2 paragraph letter that has the "perfect" tone.

On a related note I have been told by the Chief-of-Staff of one Critter to send stuff by Fax. E-mails get handled by automated response. Real letters may take weeks to actually reach the office due to post anthrax scare screening. Fax gets there rapidly and gets attention.

Be polite and respectful. Write about only one topic at a time. Keep it focused.

E.g., Dear Sir: I'm writing to let you know that I support (or oppose) so and such.

If you want, add one short paragraph as to why.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    I hand print short letters, keeping in mind how I like to be addressed on any topic that I have publicly taken a position. I end with: Very Respectfully, /signature/. I even sign 'Very Respectfully' to Senator McCaskill. I once signed 'Respectfully' to Senator Kerry, since I thought his staff might get the implied disrespect.

I am under no illusions that the Washington, DC pols ever personally see any of my communications. Their staff keeps a tally of all those received and the pol gets the summary. I have some limited experience with the congressional staffs from my Navy days, and the sheer volume of information that they deal with boggles the mind.

I probably get the same response as if I sent an email, but sometimes not. I did get an individual response from President Bush's staff in response to my handwritten letter about the southern border and immigration. It was responsive and direct. It clearly was not a form letter. The content was unsatisfying, but a few months later I got a smug feeling when the immigration thing blew up in their face.

Hand written letters take months to get through the security screening. Not good for issues before congress right now. Better for long term concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Interesting question, with respect to "reputable" letter as opposed to rant.

Formal writing is tough, or can be tough, and I'm afraid too many of us are unwilling to put a couple of hours effort into a short 2 paragraph letter that has the "perfect" tone.

On a related note I have been told by the Chief-of-Staff of one Critter to send stuff by Fax. E-mails get handled by automated response. Real letters may take weeks to actually reach the office due to post anthrax scare screening. Fax gets there rapidly and gets attention.

Be polite and respectful. Write about only one topic at a time. Keep it focused.

E.g., Dear Sir: I'm writing to let you know that I support (or oppose) so and such.

If you want, add one short paragraph as to why.
    I never thought of faxing a letter and how it would be handled different as compared to an e-mail.

To those who say it doesn't matter if you write your representative. I like to "hope" that maybe 1 out of a 100 or even 1 out of 1000 letters atleast 1 will make an impact or get to the right person..... This might be my security blanket, but it makes me feel good at night atleast knowing I voiced my opinon
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

I write frequently, to both local, state and federal reps, from Sheriff and Mayor on up.

At the state and federal level, I'm convinced that bribery-type incentives are the only things that will get serious attention. You know, the sauce for pork. I believe that because the only thing my letters generally get (even well-written ones) is kind dismissal of the form-letter variety. Rare is the case when one of them deigns to offer legitimate opinion and an outline of future direction to be taken, instead of the scripted form-letter pap.

"I appreciate you writing to me, to keep me informed of opinions that matter to you. I will keep them in mind when future legislation comes up ..." Yeah.

Responses range from reminding me how the law allows what they do, to suggesting that if I want to change things I should get involved. Only the local folks seem to honestly care about the people their actions affect, though I suppose that's not actually entirely true. It seems like it, though.

I've got a couple of reps. in the state legislature that actually seem to have a good head on their shoulders, on a range of issues.

Myself, I am not a Ph.D in economics or public policy, nor a Nobel laureate MD twice over in my field. And I won't give a nickel to a sheister who clearly indicates that's what's required to get attention. But I'll keep abreast of some issues that matter to me, and I'll ensure that my reps. are aware of whatever problems or suggestions I have about upcoming legislation. That'll have to do, little as it may achieve.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have been sending emails for years to both the Congressman for Montana and to both Senators. Sometimes the responses are canned, but I recently received a reply from tester and Baucus that have led me to believe that they were actually personal responses based on the content of the letter.
    I have started sending faxes and if it is a time critical I call as well.

My Congressman has a FaceBook page that is a really fast direct way to get info to him and it is read, again based on responses.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    ... But I'll keep abreast of some issues that matter to me, and I'll ensure that my reps. are aware of whatever problems or suggestions I have about upcoming legislation. That'll have to do, little as it may achieve.
    This is all it takes. If enough citizens do the same, things will change. I think many elected officials want to do the right thing. Sometimes they just get complacent when their constituents fail to keep the input flowing.

I write to my US House Representative when I feel I need to express my thoughts on specific issues. I recently wrote regarding my opposition to the health care reform issue currently being created by "backroom" secret dealings.

I receive typed replies that are somewhat a form letter but are a bit more detailed and specific to the issues I raise. This leads me to suspect that Mr. Gallegly doesn't take the time to actually reply. Instead he probably tells a staffer what to say in general terms and they do it for him. While that bothers me, I don't have that much of a problem with it because I get an actual reply rather than a "thanks for your thoughts" canned response.

I DO NOT write to either Boxer or Feinstein as I STRONGLY believe that both are an embarassment to the Great State of California and its citizens; a waste of food and oxygen; and a sad example of the rest of the human race. I do not write to my state representatives either as they are as useless and unproductive of great thinking (or even general thinking) as Boxer and Feinstein. I gave up on writing letters to the editor a long time ago as I learned that they only print what they believe will promote their personal agendas anyway.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I write frequently. I find that the national-level reps are too busy to respond, though I normally get responses from my state representatives when I email them.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    I write and call all the time!
    [One Nation Under God]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links