Defensive Carry banner

Up in arms over gun: Replica rifle has Brooklyn man at odds with cops‏

3K views 41 replies 35 participants last post by  Thanis 
#1 ·
Like America's first soldiers at the Battle of Brooklyn, Michael Littlejohn is fighting for his right to bear arms.

The Revolutionary War buff charges the Bloomberg administration with tyranny for trying to seize his handmade flintlock rifle a dead ringer for the weapon once used against the redcoats.

"This is the last legal gun that you can have without registration in New York," Littlejohn said. "And yet Mayor Bloomberg is driven crazy by my flintlock gun - the one that won the American Revolution."

Littlejohn fired the first shot when he hired a Tennessee blacksmith to recreate the vintage rifle. It arrived at his Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, apartment in June - followed quickly by city cops.

Police claim it's illegal for Littlejohn to keep the flintlock without a gun license.

Littlejohn, 50, cites the earliest American patriots as his inspiration while refusing to surrender his firearm or apply for a license.

The social worker is also clinging to a little-known exemption in the city's strict gun laws.

The loophole allows license-free ownership of "antique firearms" defined as rifles that require the bullet and gunpowder to be loaded separately.

Littlejohn's rifle appears to fit the bill.

Loading the weapon, he explains, is a multistep process that takes several pokes with a ramrod and up to a minute to complete.

To fire, the rifle relies on a sharpened piece of flint that produces a spark when the trigger is pulled. That point is moot, Littlejohn says: He doesn't own gunpowder or bullets.

That's not enough to make the NYPD retreat.

The cops visited Littlejohn's apartment and sat down this month with the Tennessee blacksmith who forged the rifle.

The lead detective on the case told Littlejohn's lawyer that he had orders "from higher-ups" to pursue the case, according to an e-mail the lawyer sent to Littlejohn.

Littlejohn's interest in the Revolutionary War dates to his childhood. He grew up playing tag outside the upstate Newburgh house used in 1782-83 as Gen. George Washington's headquarters.

As an adult, he joined in Colonial American reenactments in Virginia and Georgia.

The NYPD learned about Littlejohn's $825 rifle when he left a receipt inside a Staples copy center, prompting a call to the cops.

Cops aren't threatening to arrest Littlejohn yet. Lawyer Joyce David, who represented Littlejohn until it became too expensive, says her ex-client could wind up with a summons.

A police source says the war could end peacefully if Littlejohn applied for a permit with the NYPD handgun license division.

Littlejohn would rather fight. The Brooklynite says he's willing to sue for his rifle rights.

[LINK]

See less See more
#2 ·
I hope he wins. Obviously, since I'm here, I'm not a huge fan of strict gun control and it appears he's in the right. Although most people are unwilling for one reason or another, somebody has to be a test case.

#3 ·
What a shame. I can't believe how backwards that city is.

#4 ·
Bloomberg wants to send his 'legally armed thugs' to confiscate this man's 'one shot a minute' gun?:grrr:
The mayor, who is surrounded by armed guards, want to register an antique, black powder rifle?:grrr:

It's simply amazing how a billion dollars can take away a man's common sense.:blink:

#11 ·
What makes you think Bloomberg has lost his "common sense"? He hasn't! The answer is much simpler: he is evil and arrogant. He considers himself and many of the other "powers that be" far superior beings to the "common masses". He wants to make sure that no "common" or "simple" people - or worse, groups of common people! - have the means for self-defense and the empowerment that goes with it.

He hasn't lost his common sense. He just has unusually high "skills" in the powers of evil and arrogance.

It's simply amazing how a billion dollars can take away a man's common sense.:blink:

#7 ·
Yes in deed. We really must put a stop to all the rapes, robberies, muggings, murders, and carjackings currently being done with single-shot flintlock rifles.

#19 ·
Long before he was mayor, I saw him on Charlie Rose's show on PBS. I thought he was amazing. They discussed many issues and what amazed me most was that I couldn't tell what his politics were, he just seemed like a thoughtful, pragmatic guy who wanted to get things done. I remember thinking, "This is the kind of guy I wish would run for office in this country."

You know that saying, "Be careful what you wish for..."

I hope I'm never that wrong about a politician again.

#13 ·
Too bad you can't convict Idiots of wasting tax payer money and treading on legal rights by putting these morons in prison for said offense,I bet there would be much less of this insanity

#22 ·
He should do a pre-emptive strike by suing the City Police and Mayor for "official initimidation, threats, and harrassment... as well as acting outside their authority".

#24 ·
I thought he was amazing. They discussed many issues and what amazed me most was that I couldn't tell what his politics were, he just seemed like a thoughtful, pragmatic guy who wanted to get things done. I remember thinking, "This is the kind of guy I wish would run for office in this country."
Therein lies the problem. It's called "taking a stand". Even a declared moderate has a philosophy. I am frightened of those whose political philosophy is impossible to discern.

I hope I'm never that wrong about a politician again.
As long as you don't believe anything they say and half of what they put in writing, you have a 50-50 chance.

#25 ·
Great case for the NRA to step up and go to bat for this guy.

New York City Law says he is in the clear. I THINK ! OMO.

New York City Administrative Code Section 10-301 - Control And Regulation Of The Disposition, Purchase And Possession Of Firearms, Rifles, Shotguns And Assault Weapons.

§ 10-301. Control and regulation of the disposition, purchase and
possession of firearms, rifles, shotguns and assault weapons.
Definitions. Whenever used in this chapter the following terms shall
mean and include:
1. "Firearm." (a) Any pistol or revolver; (b) a shotgun having one or
more barrels less than eighteen inches in length; or (c) a rifle having
one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length; or (d) any
weapon made from a shotgun or rifle whether by alteration, modification,
or otherwise if such weapon as altered, modified, or otherwise has an
overall length of less than twenty-six inches. For the purpose of this
subdivision the length of the barrel on a shotgun or rifle shall be
determined by measuring the distance between the muzzle and the face of
the bolt, breech, or breechlock when closed and when the shotgun or
rifle is cocked; the overall length of a weapon made from a shotgun or
rifle is the distance between the extreme ends of the weapon measured
along a line parallel to the center line of the bore. Firearm does not
include an antique firearm.
The provisions of this chapter relating to
firearms shall not apply to assault weapons except as specifically
provided.

New York State law considers replicas of antique firearms to be antique firearms.

Even ANTIQUE HANDGUNS fall into this category so long as they are NOT LOADED. Not loaded means not being in possession of weapon, powder and ball at the same time.

bosco

#32 ·
Well, you can believe what you want.

It's still a free country, more or less...

#33 ·
If he applied for a liscence it would be denied, besides, why the **** does he need a handgun lisence to own a flintlock? New Yorkers...........!

He left the reciept at Staples and someone called the police. Seem like New Yorkers and Nazis have something in common. I have read that's how it was in the 3rd Reich. Neighbor turning in neighbor.

I wish we could get everyone to move from Kalifornia to the northeast and then split the union, leaving NY, NJ, RI, IL,MA and a few others on their own, and the rest of us wouldn't have to put up with their idiocracy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.