Concealed Carry in Natl Parks???

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry in Natl Parks??? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK, I am a bit confused (not all that unusual maybe ), but, last I heard, several months ago, that the amendment to c. carry ...

Thread: Concealed Carry in Natl Parks???

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

OK, I am a bit confused (not all that unusual maybe ), but, last I heard, several months ago, that the amendment to c. carry in natl parks was successfully amended to the credit card reform bill.

In today's Sunday paper, there was a letter to the editor saying that the amendment was defeated????

Due to a death in the family and other family illnesses, I have been out of the loop a while in early July, but I thought I would have picked up on this legislative issue here on this forum.

Can anybody enlighten me ?

Thanks--Scott

The defeated amendment you read about required that the states recognize all other states concealed carry permits.

VIP Member
    Heck, that's new news to me as well. Perhaps some more vigilant forum member will chime in with references.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

H.R. 627 was approved and went into law May 22, 2009. It is scheduled to go into effect 9mos after that (per sec. 3).

In the waning days of the final Bush term, a change was made to the rules of the Interior Department, allowing firearms and carry into National Parks. This was subsequently overturned by an activist judge on the basis that the environmental impacts of the rule change were not adequately studied ... as if upstanding carriers would be poisoning the landscape, or some pap.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member

Here is an example of the coverage.

VNP clarifies gun carrying law | International Falls Daily Journal

VNP clarifies gun carrying law

Submitted by Journal Staff on July 17, 2009 - 6:15am

On May 22, Pres. Obama signed into law the Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure Act of 2009, an act which regulates credit card companies and protects consumers.

A provision of that act allows the carrying of loaded firearms in units of the national park and national wildlife refuge systems when authorized by state law and not otherwise prohibited.

Section 3 of the act states that the carrying of loaded firearms will not take effect until Feb. 22. Until that time, the current prohibition against the possession of firearms in national parks will remain in place.

Voyageurs National Park rangers will continue to enforce the provisions of 36 CFR 2.4, adopted in 1983 and 1984, which generally prohibit possession of a firearm within a park.

The safety of all visitors, staff, and wildlife is extremely important. Park staff will work to ensure that there are no misunderstandings that could cause unnecessary concerns to visitors or threaten park resources.

For additional information contact Chief of Operations Jim Hummel at park headquarters, 283-6650.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    DaveH: Yeah, I remember reading all that and the initial discussion here on the Forum regarding the actual implementation date.

But when I saw the letter to the editor today, it was specifically targeted at concealed carry in Natl Parks, so I just wondered if something had happened to de-rail the new law. Glad to know that the letter writer was wrong, wrong and wrong

Sponsored Links