why stay in anti gun states..

This is a discussion on why stay in anti gun states.. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Gun Companies who remain in anti gun states. Is there a reason why gun makers and gun related companies remain in states that are severly ...

Thread: why stay in anti gun states..

why stay in anti gun states..

Gun Companies who remain in anti gun states.

Is there a reason why gun makers and gun related companies remain in states that are severly anti gun?

Kimber- Yonkers NY
    springfield armory- geneseo illinois
    smith&wesson- springfield ma

I know there are more, but it really baffles me why companies would remain in hostile states that seem to not want them?

any ideas or discussion as to why they stay?

2. Remove Ads

Damn good question!

Joker1

The answer is simple. If you give in and move the anti-gun establishment gets an immediate "win."

This "win" gives them confidence that they can continue to push for gun control and get it. They then will continue to push gun enthusiasts from state to state/territory to territory as part of their expanding "empire."

By staying you can fight them on the battlefield and maybe win. Otherwise you're just continually retreating and losing both the battle and the war.

As to the states mentioned, particularly New York and Massachusetts, the same question could be posed as to many manufacturers -- higher ad valorem taxes, state income taxes, higher living expense, etc.

As to guns, some headquarter in one state and manufacture in another. For example, Ruger is headquartered in Connecticutt, but does much of its manufacturering in Arizona.

I recently came to the knowledge that Berretta has a facility in PG county MD. Those boys must like livin' on the edge. ;)

MikeV

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Those facilities also bring in lots of tax revenue for the states in question. I wouldn't be surprised if those states are, in turn, giving these companies little publicized kick backs...
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Another thing to consider is that these companies set down roots decades before these states adopted their freedom hating attitudes. Finding a manufacturing complex the size of Smith & Wesson tooled up and ready to go in another state would be a miracle. Starting from scratch or transfering all that machinery would be an expensive prospect to say the least. Then there's relocating employees.....
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Another thing to consider is that these companies set down roots decades before these states adopted their freedom hating attitudes. Finding a manufacturing complex the size of Smith & Wesson tooled up and ready to go in another state would be a miracle. Starting from scratch or transfering all that machinery would be an expensive prospect to say the least. Then there's relocating employees.....
    Not to mention the fact that the local Chambers of Commerce will go great distances to protect them to the maximum extent possible.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Take Smith & Wesson manufacters pistols in Houlton ,Maine.That was best
    kept secret in Maine and we are not an anti state.

Why does anyone support those states? On another forum a few years back there was a discussion trying to get the next world BPCR competition in California instead of a more friendly state such as Arizona. Look at the Olympics. Some compettitors in some countries have to go abroad to practice so they can represent their own country. It seems even we can be our own worst enemies.

Michael

I watched a video that also mentioned the firearms manufactures pushing for the initial gun laws because they would be good for business. I need to dig through my DVD's and see what one it was on. There was a good segment dedicated to the industry pushing for restrictions to stop the 'easy flow of guns' so they could better corner the markets of the several states. Basically, the show demonstrated that the firearms industry was instrumental in crafting the first wide spread 2A infringements.

Houlton, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    Take Smith & Wesson manufacters pistols in Houlton ,Maine.That was best
    kept secret in Maine and we are not an anti state.
    I didn't know that S&W manufacturers their pistols in Houlton, ME! I was stationed at a now closed military base around 40 miles north of Houlton in a SMALL town called Limestone, ME! That is one very cold place to live. In a normal year you get at least 100 inches of snow. Normally it more!

After spending 2 1/2 years in Limestone, ME I think I'll stay in the heat of the desert of the southwest US all the same! lol
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Links