Recent discussion on gun rights

This is a discussion on Recent discussion on gun rights within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So a couple of guys I work with have maintained that gun ownership isn't a right and that there are some people who shouldn't have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Recent discussion on gun rights

  1. #1
    VIP Member Array nedrgr21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    KCMO
    Posts
    3,458

    Recent discussion on gun rights

    So a couple of guys I work with have maintained that gun ownership isn't a right and that there are some people who shouldn't have guns. I agree with the second part, but not the first. Their theory is that a "right" cannot be taken away, the "right" to own guns can be taken away, and the "right" to carry has certain restrictions; therefore the "right" to own/carry is a privilege. I just pointed out that at the top of the page it says Bill of Rights and that 1/3 of our gov't is devoted to taking away people's rights. The only response I got was "oh, well, yeah".

    Thought I'd share - anyone else run into this "logic"?

    Next time it comes up, I think I need to add that the only reason we have restrictions on our right is b/c citizens in the 30's, 60's, and 80's didn't stand up for their rights vehemently enough when it really counted.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Senior Member Array Rob P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In the sticks
    Posts
    631
    Tell them that they have the "right" to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. However, that doesn't mean that the gov't can't lock them up in jail.

    No right is absolute.

  4. #3
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    44,498
    Tell them that they will now have to be quiet...they will no longer have a right to speak or express their opinions. If they let the 2A get away, their loss of the 1A will not be far behind.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  5. #4
    VIP Member
    Array shooterX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    2,849
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Tell them that they will now have to be quiet...they will no longer have a right to speak or express their opinions. If they let the 2A get away, their loss of the 1A will not be far behind.
    +1

  6. #5
    VIP Member
    Array archer51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    21,136
    Next time ask them if they've read the "Bill of Privileges". See what they think of that.

  7. #6
    Distinguished Member
    Array SleepingZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    ne
    Posts
    1,737
    Very simple, 1st amendment, you can not yell "FIRE" in a crowded area, so their for the 1st must also be a "privilege" because it has restrictions placed on it, also think about 4 letter words, are they protected??

    Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

  8. #7
    Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    1,233
    A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

    It's right there in black and white. Why is this so hard to understand? Was it rewritten while we weren't looking to say "the privilege of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"?
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

  9. #8
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    25,980
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Next time it comes up, I think I need to add that the only reason we have restrictions on our right is b/c citizens in the 30's, 60's, and 80's didn't stand up for their rights vehemently enough when it really counted.
    Don't forget the simple fact that liars, cheaters and thieves have existed in public service since the dawn of public service. It ain't called "the gravy train" for nothin'. I'm of the opinion that this is the primary cause of such criminalization of everything. "1984" in real life. And, yes, it needs to be vehemently resisted at all times, for the dangerous cancer that it is.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  10. #9
    VIP Member Array Paco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    McKinney, TX
    Posts
    3,499
    Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

    It's right there in black and white. Why is this so hard to understand? Was it rewritten while we weren't looking to say "the privilege of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"?
    There you go, pointing out the obvious and using facts. The OP's buddies don't believe in using facts, only emotions.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

    -Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

  11. #10
    Member Array MIKEV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    PDRMD
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    Very simple, 1st amendment, you can not yell "FIRE" in a crowded area, so their for the 1st must also be a "privilege" because it has restrictions placed on it, also think about 4 letter words, are they protected??

    Z
    Actually there is nothing stopping you from yelling FIRE in a crowded theater baring you are physically abel to vocalize the word, except yourself.
    Your responsibilty for your actions, your moral compass and your values restrict you from yelling fire in a crwoded theater, no law that the government passed will do that.

    MikeV

  12. #11
    VIP Member Array edr9x23super's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,108
    Ask your buddies what they would do if you popped them in the kisser and started beating them severely? would they fight back? If they would, then they are supporters of the 2nd amendment; in its most basic form, the 2nd amendment is about self-defense, from all enemies foreign and domestic not whether or not you can own a gun....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

  13. #12
    Distinguished Member
    Array SleepingZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    ne
    Posts
    1,737
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKEV View Post
    Actually there is nothing stopping you from yelling FIRE in a crowded theater baring you are physically abel to vocalize the word, except yourself.
    Your responsibilty for your actions, your moral compass and your values restrict you from yelling fire in a crowded theater, no law that the government passed will do that.

    MikeV
    Can I stand on a street corner and yell every vulgar word I can think of and get by with that???

    "Fire" in a theater, I'm betting you would or could be charged with disturbing the peace, or inciting a riot???

    Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

  14. #13
    VIP Member
    Array Miggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Miami-Dade, FL
    Posts
    6,258
    Gents, let's get the fire thing straight. You cannot falsely yell fire in a theater as in trying to create a disturbance. Yes you can yell fire if there is a fire because you are issuing a warning.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

    Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

  15. #14
    Senior Member Array itschuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    719
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

    That single statement should preclude any objection to any part of the bill of rights
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

  16. #15
    Member Array MIKEV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    PDRMD
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Gents, let's get the fire thing straight. You cannot falsely yell fire in a theater as in trying to create a disturbance. Yes you can yell fire if there is a fire because you are issuing a warning.
    I am sorry if my message was misunderstood, What I meant to/should have said was there is nothing that pre-emptively prohibits it. You have the tools to do it at all times. You are legally responsible for your actions after the fact though. The same cannot be said of the tools enabling one to exercise the 2A in all parts of the Country.

    Sorry
    MikeV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Gun Rights Are Civil Rights...
    By ExSoldier in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: July 11th, 2010, 12:58 AM
  2. 2 Recent Additions
    By mengel4228 in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: August 29th, 2009, 08:26 AM
  3. Recent OC Experience
    By ecorrigan in forum Open Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: May 7th, 2009, 02:01 PM
  4. Gun rights, voting rights clash in U.S. capital
    By Maverickx50 in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: March 8th, 2009, 01:39 PM

Search tags for this page

resent amendment 2 discussions

Click on a term to search for related topics.