Defensive Carry banner

Confusion re TN Restaurant Bill...Anyone know?

2K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  miklcolt45 
#1 ·
It was my understanding that in it's final form, that was passed, that there were no restrictions regarding where you could carry - as long as you didn't drink. I.e. bars were just as legal as restaurants that serve alcohol.

Recently, I read a newspaper article that stated restaurants could post no carry AND that bars didn't have to because it remained illegal to carry in a bar.

Anyone know the latest about this?

#2 ·
Go read your state law that was passed. You can find it at the courthouse, internet, and a number of different places.

The media is going to tell you what they polish up and want you to believe and if they are proved wrong all they have to say was "it was a mistake or lack of information, we stand corrected". There is nothing for them to lose in making things up.

#3 ·
I was hoping for a little more info than just the final bill actually passed. I lost touch while all that was going on but was under the impression that there were no restrictions as far as types of places.

I'd be interesting in knowing how this developed if other than the impression I had.

#5 ·
Thanks, but I'd already been there and it wasn't clear about the restaurant carry other than you can and the restaurant can prohibit it. Doesn't say anything, that I could see, about bars. I don't go to bars, but I still want to know.

#6 ·
I'm to understand that TN doesn't have a "legal" defination of a bar. IF it's not properly posted you're legal to carry as long as you don't drink.
Of course if it's improperly posted you have to think if you want to spend your money there.

#7 ·
Maybe that's the confusing issue. It was my understanding, which is compatible with what you said that the bill allowed carry anywhere that served alcohol unless the business posts.

Yeah, I won't be going places that post.

#8 ·
Final language:

http://state.tn.us/sos/acts/106/pub/pc0339.pdf

AN ACT to amend Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 39, Chapter 17, relative to firearms.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE:

SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1305(c), is amended
by adding the following language as a new, appropriately designated subdivision:

(3)

(A) Authorized to carry a firearm under § 39-17-1351 who is not
consuming beer, wine or any alcoholic beverage, and is within the
confines of a restaurant that is open to the public and serves alcoholic
beverages, wine or beer.

(B) As used in this subdivision (c)(3), “restaurant” means any
public place kept, used, maintained, advertised and held out to the public
as a place where meals are served and where meals are actually and
regularly served, such place being provided with adequate and sanitary
kitchen and dining room equipment, having employed therein a sufficient
number and kind of employees to prepare, cook and serve suitable food
for its guests. At least one (1) meal per day shall be served at least five
(5) days a week, with the exception of holidays, vacations and periods of
redecorating, and the serving of such meals shall be the principal
business conducted.

#9 ·
Ahhhh, in that case I'm covered everywhere I go to eat, well, unless they post, and then I won't go there anyway.

But I'm expecting all the biggies, Logans, Chili's, etc. to post.

#10 ·
To some extent even the chains are unpredictable. If they are a franchise location, they may have some freedom to decide for themselves to post or not.
Corporate locations usually make a decision across the board.

Then to confuse the issue even further, there are some places posting generic "no guns allowed" signs that they KNOW are not legally binding just to make the sheep feel better, with no intention of hassling those that at least cary concealed.

Have you checked out my OTHER favorite gun forum: Tennesee Gun Owners?
Lots of good TN specific info

Tennessee Gun Owners - Powered by vBulletin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.