This is a discussion on MO State Senator and Concealed Carry on Campus within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by MJK I sent this letter to state senator Joan Bray (D-STL) Therefore, I oppose legislation that would make acquiring and owning concealed ...
it was still a grasp of an excuse.... JMO
Ruger LCP 380
NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
S&W 38 model 10
A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
Susan B. Anthony
A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
She's another one that needs voted out next election because she does not read the bills that are put in front of her.
It wouldn't have made it easier to acquire/purchase....it would have made it easier for legal permit holders to carry and protect themselves. Can't fix stupid!
She of all people should also know that every one of those studies she might refer to fail to accurately represent the population based on small sample sizes and tons of bias issues. Bet she doesn't have a clue to the statistics related to alcoholism and college students, which is exponentially more deadly than guns AND influences negative behaviors.
She's correct in stating that relaxing the age to 21yrs for when adults may apply for licensing would spread the availability of firearms. She's correct in stating that extending the range where adults may legally carry firearms onto campuses would spread the availability of firearms and make their carry more prevalent.What can you say about this kind of thinking?!
However, like you, I'm of the opinion that people who think like her are horribly misguided in their twisting of facts to reach the absurd conclusions they reach. She believes that such changes in the "Castle" laws in MO would result in a riskier environment on campus, merely because more lawful guns would exist, despite the fact that thousands more lawful, upstanding people would be able to resist the predations of murderers and rapists on campus.
Beyond rape and death of her own daughters in situations where being armed could have helped, I can see no possible situation in which she'll change her mind and see the light.
The logic your senator has presented is nearly identical to that of my own Oregon legislator, U.S. Representative David Wu.
- He believes that any reduction in the availability of firearms to upstanding citizens results in a reduction in risk, threat and deaths to upstanding citizens.
- He likewise fails to recognize that it's only CRIMINALS who threaten and kill upstanding citizens.
- He refuses to accept that licensed, upstanding adults throughout the state are significantly more law abiding than the average population.
- He refuses to accept the idea that having more licensed, upstanding adults carrying the means of their own defense onto campuses would result in riskier environments for criminals.
- He would prefer campuses to remain shining beacons of disarmed sheep, advertised as such for all the criminal world to see. He apparently abhors the idea that a campus full of upstanding adults could make it far safer than ever, a veritable mine field for criminals.
- He also fails to see the litany of horrors that has plagued campuses, churches and other victim disarmament zones and to call it what it is: a direct result of the failed policies of a gun-grabbing legislature that would prefer students be murdered at the hands of criminals instead of having a fighting chance to defend themselves.
I have sent him letters and emails for awhile, now. Yet, I keep getting a series of wishy-washy discussions about the threat to children and people who cannot protect themselves, when the most-effective method for protection is the one thing he won't consider.
OMG, it's a "gun" in the room! Yaaaaraarahgghaghagh!
And all of this despite the fact that Oregon's legislature has specifically stated that adults may carry firearms on campuses, but the schools continue to fire staff and faculty and expel students.
How to change such irrational thinking and correct the crime being perpetrated against the upstanding citizens of our states? I wish I knew.
Fortunately, Her term limit is up and She is not eligible for reelction in 2010.
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott
The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."