MO State Senator and Concealed Carry on Campus - Page 2

MO State Senator and Concealed Carry on Campus

This is a discussion on MO State Senator and Concealed Carry on Campus within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by MJK I sent this letter to state senator Joan Bray (D-STL) Therefore, I oppose legislation that would make acquiring and owning concealed ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 22 of 22

Thread: MO State Senator and Concealed Carry on Campus

  1. #16
    Member Array jjkjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post
    I sent this letter to state senator Joan Bray (D-STL)




    Therefore, I oppose legislation that would make acquiring and owning concealed weapons easier, as House Bill 668 would have done. Not only would it have lowered the minimum age for getting a permit from 23 years old to 21, but this bill would also have allowed a person with a license to conceal and carry on college campuses. Hundreds of studies within the past few decades, including many recent studies (Dixon, S.K. and S.E. Robinson Kurpius. 2008. Depression and College Stress Among University Undergraduates.; Kerr, S., et al. 2004. Predicting Adjustment During the Transition to College: Alexithymia, Perceived Stress, and Psychological Symptoms.;
    I understand not changing the age...... but stress..... come on one has to go through a check..they do that here in Missouri...... so what makes a college more stressful than working and wondering if your going to have a job or not the next day. or wondering if your 401k is going to have anything left in it. or how much will they raise the taxes this time...

    it was still a grasp of an excuse.... JMO
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member


  2. #17
    VIP Member Array Spirit51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    2,248
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    So....what about those students who are going back to school--those who have served in the military or raised a family or working on an advanced degree, but still have to work? Why can't they carry?----questions to pose back to your rep.
    My thoughts exactly. I am sure there are many adult students, as well as adult professors, office workers, maintenance workers. security, and many others. A campus is NOT made up of underage persons alone.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

  3. #18
    Member Array diverdown247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mo
    Posts
    245
    She's another one that needs voted out next election because she does not read the bills that are put in front of her.

    It wouldn't have made it easier to acquire/purchase....it would have made it easier for legal permit holders to carry and protect themselves. Can't fix stupid!

    She of all people should also know that every one of those studies she might refer to fail to accurately represent the population based on small sample sizes and tons of bias issues. Bet she doesn't have a clue to the statistics related to alcoholism and college students, which is exponentially more deadly than guns AND influences negative behaviors.

  4. #19
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    28,237

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post
    Here's the reply I just received:

    "... Therefore, I oppose legislation that would make acquiring and owning concealed weapons easier, as House Bill 668 would have done. Not only would it have lowered the minimum age for getting a permit from 23 years old to 21, but this bill would also have allowed a person with a license to conceal and carry on college campuses.
    What can you say about this kind of thinking?!
    She's correct in stating that relaxing the age to 21yrs for when adults may apply for licensing would spread the availability of firearms. She's correct in stating that extending the range where adults may legally carry firearms onto campuses would spread the availability of firearms and make their carry more prevalent.

    However, like you, I'm of the opinion that people who think like her are horribly misguided in their twisting of facts to reach the absurd conclusions they reach. She believes that such changes in the "Castle" laws in MO would result in a riskier environment on campus, merely because more lawful guns would exist, despite the fact that thousands more lawful, upstanding people would be able to resist the predations of murderers and rapists on campus.

    Beyond rape and death of her own daughters in situations where being armed could have helped, I can see no possible situation in which she'll change her mind and see the light.

    The logic your senator has presented is nearly identical to that of my own Oregon legislator, U.S. Representative David Wu.

    • He believes that any reduction in the availability of firearms to upstanding citizens results in a reduction in risk, threat and deaths to upstanding citizens.

    • He likewise fails to recognize that it's only CRIMINALS who threaten and kill upstanding citizens.

    • He refuses to accept that licensed, upstanding adults throughout the state are significantly more law abiding than the average population.

    • He refuses to accept the idea that having more licensed, upstanding adults carrying the means of their own defense onto campuses would result in riskier environments for criminals.

    • He would prefer campuses to remain shining beacons of disarmed sheep, advertised as such for all the criminal world to see. He apparently abhors the idea that a campus full of upstanding adults could make it far safer than ever, a veritable mine field for criminals.

    • He also fails to see the litany of horrors that has plagued campuses, churches and other victim disarmament zones and to call it what it is: a direct result of the failed policies of a gun-grabbing legislature that would prefer students be murdered at the hands of criminals instead of having a fighting chance to defend themselves.


    I have sent him letters and emails for awhile, now. Yet, I keep getting a series of wishy-washy discussions about the threat to children and people who cannot protect themselves, when the most-effective method for protection is the one thing he won't consider.

    OMG, it's a "gun" in the room! Yaaaaraarahgghaghagh!

    And all of this despite the fact that Oregon's legislature has specifically stated that adults may carry firearms on campuses, but the schools continue to fire staff and faculty and expel students.

    How to change such irrational thinking and correct the crime being perpetrated against the upstanding citizens of our states? I wish I knew.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  5. #20
    New Member Array XD45SWMo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Neosho, Missouri
    Posts
    12
    Fortunately, Her term limit is up and She is not eligible for reelction in 2010.

  6. #21
    VIP Member Array miklcolt45's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    @ Wits' End
    Posts
    2,818
    Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    More responsive than the usual. Wrong, but responsive. I am very interested in the studies she cited and what they really found. I am even more interested in who provides those kinds of references to our elected representatives.
    The Brady Bunch, or others of their ilk.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

  7. #22
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,916
    Quote Originally Posted by XD45SWMo View Post
    Fortunately, Her term limit is up and She is not eligible for reelction in 2010.


    Too bad we'll never get term limits on the federal level!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Texas State University Student Senate Votes to Allow Concealed Carry on Campus
    By LanceORYGUN in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: December 3rd, 2010, 10:38 AM
  2. Concealed Carry on Campus
    By gdm320 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: November 12th, 2009, 09:53 PM
  3. What do you think of concealed carry on campus?
    By Jcabin in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: August 14th, 2009, 08:42 PM
  4. Texas State Senator favors College Concealed Carry
    By rodc13 in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: August 25th, 2008, 01:49 PM
  5. Campus radio debate on AZ campus concealed carry law, need advice
    By Ashoob in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: January 27th, 2008, 01:13 PM

Search tags for this page

campus concealed carry research

,

can you conceal carry on missouri state campus?

,

conceal and carry on missouri campuses for military

,

concealed carry on missouri campus

,

concealed carry on missouri campuses

,

missouri bill ccw on campus

,

missouri can i concealed carry on campus

,

missouri senators opinion on concealed carry

Click on a term to search for related topics.