NC Supreme Court restores felon's gun rights

This is a discussion on NC Supreme Court restores felon's gun rights within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Felons should NEVER have their rights restored. No one accidentally commits a felony. Actions have consequences; often they are life changing. I totally agree....

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: NC Supreme Court restores felon's gun rights

Felons should NEVER have their rights restored. No one accidentally commits a felony. Actions have consequences; often they are life changing.

I totally agree.

2. Remove Ads

Maybe if a convicted felon asked for their gun rights
    back they would immediately get a presidential pardon. lol

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I agree with those who say they should have to petition to have their rights restored, that way each situation is looked at individually, it's quite easy in my book.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    What if ... you went to jail for something as dumb as doing 90 on the freeway and a cop chases you and you didnt immediately pull over and he cites you for attempted evasion of police. You get setenced wrongfully in court are a felon do 6 to a year and get out. Now you cant own a gun?
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    What if ... you went to jail for something as dumb as doing 90 on the freeway and a cop chases you and you didnt immediately pull over and he cites you for attempted evasion of police. You get setenced wrongfully in court are a felon do 6 to a year and get out. Now you cant own a gun?
    So, do you agree that a petition of some sorts would be good?
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

hhmmm agree with guardian and others
    probably best to just have the felon file a petition so
    a panel or judge can see and hear what
    the person was convicted for, hear all the details
    and ask the felon some personal questions.

There has always been a provision for felons to petition the federal government to have their gun rights restored.

It is my understanding it done/approved on a case by case basis, usually only approved for non-violent felonies, and that it is a little known petition so it isn't applied for very often.

I can't remember the source I read on this info, but I did read about it several years ago and believed it to be a reputable source. ie, a government publication or something along those lines.

I think the same thing can be done to restore voting rights!

Feel free to point out if this is incorrect or post any supporting documentation.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    doing 90 on the freeway;evasion of police. You get setenced wrongfully in court are a felon do 6 to a year and get out.
    Sentenced wrongfully?

Maybe we should give the criminal a lollipop and send him back to mommy.

Think in some states you can have some of your rights
    given back to you but maybe not all of them like purchasing
    a gun. Not sure on this

I would prefer to see a petition style system. In my job I work with a lot of people doing community service - often convicted felons who need to wrap up some hours for court fees. I've worked with a large range of persons, all of whom are at least attempting to be "productive members of society".

Imagining some of them being able to go purchase a gun makes me want to reconsider sleeping at night, but most of them wouldn't bother me. But I should add I work mostly with people who did non-violent or minimal violence crimes. Like bouncing checks or wire fraud.

Convicted felons should not get their rights back, it should be a strong deterant to anyone without the moral fiber to stay out of trouble to begin with.
    IMO their crimes are not paid for upon completion of their sentence, you can not make repayment for the emotional scars left to the victims. There are no victimless crimes....
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Gotta give em back their guns and of course the right to vote cause who else you gonna get to vote in the next election after we have been taxed to death.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

It's all about $$$ I've know of one person Involentary Manslaughter have a FULL PARDON $$$
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Dependent on the crime..ie he's shy of 19 shes 5 months from 18. They get caught in the back seat of car.( Im sure a few remember those rambler front seats ) He is now in jail labelled a child molester. So what rights should he have when he gets out??
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Quote Originally Posted by Faitmaker View Post
    I've been saying it all along. Felons should get their all of their right returned when they return as a member of society.
    I agree in an absolute three-strikes type of deal for violent felonies. (Not the twisted, insane version California originally had, for example). You badly harm people or society three times, you're eliminated.

I agree in absolute sentence durations. None of this one-fourth time crap that states deem fit to inflict on society for the worst of the worst, showing that (a) our "justice" system isn't anything of the kind, that (b) a turnstyle is highly efficient when applied to shoveling criminals out the door, and that (c) when parole is applied to violent criminals it is little more than a screw-society-earlier ticket punched by the AG and crammed down our throats.

But I also agree that, so long as the felony wasn't a member of the "big four" (murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault), a person's basic rights as a member of society still exist and shouldn't be eliminated. Though, I'm not averse to the "petition" type of system, which would allow a specific evaluation to be performed and judgment to be applied on a case-by-case basis.

IMO, there can be a balance. So long as certain rational precautions are taken (see above), I see no reason why former criminals must be permanently denied their place in society, so long as there's a balance favoring upstanding peoples' place.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links