NC Supreme Court restores felon's gun rights - Page 3

NC Supreme Court restores felon's gun rights

This is a discussion on NC Supreme Court restores felon's gun rights within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by itschuck He is now in jail labelled a child molester. So what rights should he have when he gets out?? You think ...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: NC Supreme Court restores felon's gun rights

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by itschuck View Post
    He is now in jail labelled a child molester. So what rights should he have when he gets out??
    You think a child molestor should get out?
    The Old Anglo likes this.

Criminals who commit violent felonies with firearms, should lose their RKBA permanently.

Just because they've "done their time", does NOT mean they're reformed.

A lot of guys come out of prison as even worse criminals than when they went in.

According to crime statistics I've seen, about half of all felonies are committed by people with previous criminal convictions.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

Dependent on the crime..ie he's shy of 19 shes 5 months from 18. They get caught in the back seat of car.( Im sure a few remember those rambler front seats ) He is now in jail labelled a child molester. So what rights should he have when he gets out?
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    You think a child molestor should get out?
    To be fair, that is not what was said. The full quote was said and is shown above.

A question was posed to people asking what they thought of such "borderline" cases as youthful lovers found in the back seat making out. This is hardly the same thing as the stereotypical "child molester" (ie, vagrant caught sodomizing a 4yr old girl).

In this specific situation, though, the poster didn't specify his/her position. I, however, absolutely believe a lifetime branding of "child molester" is insanity, when both were within a year or two and almost certainly simply youthful lovers.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    You think a child molestor [sic] should get out?
    No, but unfortunately he probably will.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    A question was posed to people asking what they thought of such "borderline" cases as youthful lovers found in the back seat making out.
    Borderline? If someone violates the law then you think personal opinion should determine the outcome. Interesting. The law was enacted specifying clear limits. Violate the law and the punishment is deserved. Making out is very different than child molestation. But I'm sure you probably think the police were harrassing an innocent victim in this nonsensical hypothetical.

This is hardly the same thing as the stereotypical "child molester" (ie, vagrant caught sodomizing a 4yr old girl).
    Why not? Are you the judge of whether a law should be enforced and under what circumstances?

In this specific situation, though, the poster didn't specify his/her position. I, however, absolutely believe a lifetime branding of "child molester" is insanity, when both were within a year or two and almost certainly simply youthful lovers.
    I'm sure that is what you absolutely believe. Unless, of course it was your teenage daughter raped by an older man.

Felons should NEVER have their rights restored. No one accidentally commits a felony. Actions have consequences; often they are life changing.
    I agree with out question. It is a choice they made. It a choice that should endure life long consequences for them as it does their victims and the families of the victims. Only if they are exonerated shoud they be restored..
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Borderline? If someone violates the law then you think personal opinion should determine the outcome.
    Didn't say that.

The law was enacted specifying clear limits.
    And its "blind" nature is shown in many instances.

Making out is very different than child molestation.
    I think that's all the OP was stating. That's all I was stating, that part I know.

As for the "harassing" claim, who's to say? But, based on their ages, it's not wholly impossible they were youthful lovers caught in the "blindness" of the law. I'm sure many, here, recall when they were young. Though, as you point out, it's a guess as to what occurred in this situation with teenagers.

I'm sure that is what you absolutely believe. Unless, of course it was your teenage daughter raped by an older man.
    Well, that would be completely different that what I or the OP mentioned. Please, don't state the one claim of your own wording and rake it over the coals as if it's what others said. You spoke of rape and "older" men. I merely surmised, like the OP did, that very often situations involving teens one year apart aren't what the blind law claims them to be. It's why many laughingly refer to our "justice" system as a legal system, and why the lady is blindfolded due to embarrassment. But that's a whole other discussion.

What occurred in this specific situation I have no idea, nor does the OP. Neither, SD, do you. Not that this obvious knowledge makes any difference, apparently.

I merely spoke of one situation, the common one of teens who are nearly identical in age being caught in legal troubles for what is often more indicative of what society's doing to them than what they're doing to each other. Nothing more than that was stated or implied. The manure you're attempting isn't hardly what I (or what I guess the OP) stated. Don't do that.

And its "blind" nature is shown in many instances.
    As it should be. The law specifies limits. Violate those limits and you are guilty.

As for the "harassing" claim, who's to say? But, based on their ages, it's not wholly impossible they were youthful lovers caught in the "blindness" of the law.
    So, you are saying the rapist has an excuse because he was unaware of the law? If I do not realize bank rovvery is a crime then I should be given leniency after robbig a bank?

Well, that would be completely different that what I or the OP mentioned. Please, don't state the one claim of your own wording and rake it over the coals as if it's what others said. You spoke of rape and "older" men. I merely surmised, like the OP did, that very often situations involving teens one year apart aren't what the blind law claims them to be.
    Are you saying that violating the law is fine under certain circumstances? Wouldn't it seem like a better idea to change a law with which you do not agree rather than excusing criminals?

I merely spoke of one situation, the common one of teens who are nearly identical in age being caught in legal troubles for what is often more indicative of what society's doing to them than what they're doing to each other.
    Society doing to them? Perhaps allowing thirteen year olds girls to have sex with sixteen year olds is fine. Or maybe we shouldn't hold anyone responsible for their actions?

Frankly, I don't care how old the man (or boy) who rapes my daughter is. In most jurisdictions, it is statuatory rape if the child in under eighteen. I also don't care if she was begging for it. Commit a rape and you are a felon. In this hypothetical case, a child molester, and you should never have your rights restored, just like every other felon.

This nonsense of 'they were close in age' is a poor justification for statutory rape.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    pittypat21 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    The lunacy would be better taken elsewhere, I agree.

Pass the mustard.

The lunacy would be better taken elsewhere, I agree.

Pass the mustard.
    Come on. It is far more interesting than rehashing why felons shouldn't carry guns, a topic easily found by using the search feature.

Come on. It is far more interesting than rehashing why felons shouldn't carry guns, a topic easily found by using the search feature.
    I was referring to the misstatements, twists and turns. That part can go elsewhere. This has been a recent source of friction and isn't anything new. That's what my knee-jerk response referred to, and for the K-J nature of it I apologize.

I agree that the core topic is worth discussing though.

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    CCW9MM . . . some days are just a Rock on!
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Felons should NEVER have their rights restored. No one accidentally commits a felony. Actions have consequences; often they are life changing.
    I agree with this 100%.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I'm split on the issue. Violent felons should not get them unless they prove good behavior outside of jail for at least 5 years after their release date. Non violent felons should have their rights restored once they are released.
    I'm not split at all on the issue. Violent felons should never get their former right of owning a firearm back period. If they need to forage for food, they need to take up fishing unless they'll hunt with a bow and arrow. Prove good behavior? Are you serious?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links