NC Supreme Court restores felon's gun rights

This is a discussion on NC Supreme Court restores felon's gun rights within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'd be more open to the idea of restoring rights to violent felons when the recidivism rates go down - dramatically. Right now, it's worse ...

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: NC Supreme Court restores felon's gun rights

I'd be more open to the idea of restoring rights to violent felons when the recidivism rates go down - dramatically. Right now, it's worse odds than a coin flip. Also, it should depend on how many times the person was arrested prior to the felony conviction. Do they show a history of violence or criminal behavior?

2. Remove Ads

I just went through a rough time as a kid. Not an excuse, just a fact. I have never committed a violent crime. I run a trucking company here in ok. I have the keys to a multi-million dollar company, never any problems that matter. My kids are good kids, I'm not on welfare or food stamps. I have already gone through one pardon with a denial. I will go again next year with hopes. Most people that know like me I guess. My guys that work for me do. It's been along time and I just hope I get it before it gets to where I can't.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I think Bernie Madoff should be able to apply for his permit when he gets out...he'll be 221 years old...
    He'll need one if he comes close to some of the people he cheated. Never mind, they won't be around in 221 years.

violent crimes

NO violent crime should ever be forgotten. There are cases that people ended up in fights and got charges filed on them, now they are violent criminals. I am sure most of you may know of situations simular. The average violent offender is habitual and cannot be trusted in the free world. That's the people they are and always will be,

If you think about it for a minute. They are trying already to do away with ALL guns. What would they be able to accomplish if all AMERICA is unarmed. If they can take my rights they'll figure out away to take yours as well. Look at how many people have ended up on the so called "NO FLY" list.
    Last edited by Toobadsosad; September 20th, 2009 at 07:39 PM. Reason: added to

Im a felon and you say i should not have my rights

Im a felon and you say i should not have my rights. I spent 2 years of my life on OEF. I was fine when i was a gunner geting shot at. So u cant have your rights but yall all say theres no Circumstance. Two years in Afghanistan. Yall make it sound like i dont need or deserve the right. Any way the 2nd add right dosent say oly a few have the right Gang bangers have guns why cant the honnest AMERICANS that paied there debt protect there familys.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Felons should NEVER have their rights restored. No one accidentally commits a felony. Actions have consequences; often they are life changing.
    I DISAGREE totally.,. That is like having point's stay on your record forever,.. Once you reach 12 points your license is taken away... NEVER to get it back.. People do stupid things, and they pay the price,.. When the price is payed they should be returned as a citizen, and a citizen has the right to own firearms,..

Think about it this way,.. . Your 18 years old, your friends pressure you to steal something,. (this happens allot),.. You are the one caught and charge a thief,. It was a felony because of the cost of what you stoled, so your put in jail,.. When you get out in 5-10 years (whatever that is) at this point it can go two ways.. 1) you know your never going to be a citizen again, never to have rights, and no-one will hire you because of your mistake,. What else is there to do but turn to crime for a living??? 2) You are restored a citizen because you payed the price,.. All is forgotten and should not be allowed to be known for hiring purposes,. You are again a citizen able to do what is right.. Second change,. Can again legally own a firearm,.. ... Which scenario has the better chance for a good outcome??

BTW: I'm not a felon..

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    If you want your rights back you petition for them to be returned.
    Correct. I support gun rights for law-abiders, not criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    I agree. I don't think our forefathers would like to see certain free men denied their right to keep and bear arms, whether it be by state government of federal government.
    Actually, in the time of our founding fathers, convicted felons were considered civilly dead, and had no rights at all. All of their property was subject to forfeiture, and in a lot of cases, they were subject to execution. According to John Adams, the Constitution was written only for a moral and religious people, and is wholly inadequate to the government of any other. I seriously doubt that the founding fathers considered felons in the same light as law-abiding citizens.

I believe that violent felons should be locked up for a long time, serving sentences that are commensurate with the agony and pain that they have caused their victims. Their rights should never be restored. They have made their decision to maim, rape and kill. Hardly what I would call a "youthful mistake."

Non-violent felons should be required to petition the courts for the restoration of rights, and generally be approved after a period of crime-free years in which they prove their reformed selves.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by itschuck View Post
    Dependent on the crime..ie he's shy of 19 shes 5 months from 18. They get caught in the back seat of car.( Im sure a few remember those rambler front seats ) He is now in jail labelled a child molester. So what rights should he have when he gets out??
    Actually, the term "child molester" is normally used for when the suspect is over 18 and the victim is younger than 14. Terms like "sexual misconduct" or "statutory rape" are used for older teens. And in your scenario in particular, no law has even been broken, except maybe a public indecency law for getting it on in the car. Sixteen is the age of consent in Kentucky (who would have guessed? ), as it is in a lot of states.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro 40 View Post
    Actually, the term "child molester" is normally used for when the suspect is over 18 and the victim is younger than 14. Terms like "sexual misconduct" or "statutory rape" are used for older teens. And in your scenario in particular, no law has even been broken, except maybe a public indecency law for getting it on in the car. Sixteen is the age of consent in Kentucky (who would have guessed? ), as it is in a lot of states.
    It was a made up generic situation based loosely on this actual case.

Wilson v. State of Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wilson had been convicted of aggravated child molestation because, at the age of seventeen, he had engaged in oral sex with a consenting fifteen-year-old at a New Year's Eve party. At the time of his conviction, provisions for similarity in age that allowed underage consent to be taken into account were only applicable to vaginal sex. Because the case involved oral sex the consent of the girl was not at that time legally relevant
    The "aggravated" nature of the charge refers to fellatio (oral sex) rather than a mere "immoral or indecent act." Had the two teenagers had intercourse without oral sex, Wilson would have been charged with a misdemeanor, punishable up to 12-months, with no sex offender status, instead of the mandatory 10-year minimum term that the judge gave him.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Felons should NEVER have their rights restored. No one accidentally commits a felony. Actions have consequences; often they are life changing.
    I guess it's ok for taxes to be taken from a felon once they are citizens agin but it's wrong for them to have all of their rights restored, remember the consequences for comitting any crime is when u are taken away from family and loved ones for years and years...

You are but one new law away from becoming a Felon yourself. Think about it. On top of that the Government has declared that some misdemeanors are reason to ban you from owning a firearm.

The idea of keeping firearms out of the hands of certain groups of people based on crimes they have prevented is a relatively recent idea. Makes you wonder how we got by without it for nearly 200 years.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Faitmaker View Post
    So basically the ads "You do the crime, you do the time" are false advertising as it promotes the thought that once you have served your time, you will be welcomed back as a productive member of society. How can we epect those who have doen their time to ever be absorbed back in if we are still judging their bad mistakes long after they did them?

Also, we all know the courts and feel-goods make nobody do the time. That's the problem. People get let out to early. A 10-year stretch commuted down to 2 years doesn't make anybody think about the crime they are about to commit or have already committed. "Hmm, if I get caught, I could do a 2 year stretch. It's worth it".

And please. Let's not make it out that all criminals are the most evil villains of all time. Most really aren't. They made a bad choice or fell into the wrong crowd. We sit here on this board and cry all day long about how 2nd amendment is our right and then just as easily decide who is allowed to have those unalienable rights. I'm sorry. It's hypocritical. Either it's for all men or it's not. You choose. Just remember, the moment you break the bubble, now we get to decide if for some reason, YOU should not get to carry.

I'm sorry - your wrong. If your convicted of a felony it was an intentional act - not an "I made a mistake". That is part of the reason you can not become a police officer or a federal law enforcement agent - you were convicted of a crime. You don't get do-overs. You can be a constructive member of society after you have been released - you just can't have a gun. Another stat is that prisons hold inmates that are repeat offenders. How many? on average 80% of a given prison population are repeat offenders and you want to give them guns??? I think your on the wrong forum for that kind thinking. People here are thinking of ways to protect themselves and their families from the very people you want to arm.

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    It's a moot point, federal law prohibits anyone with a domestic violence conviction from owning firearms and dealers have to follow federal law. **He might circumvent this through a private sale, but I sure wouldn't sell to him.**
    Michael Savage is right, liberalism IS a mental disorder.
    The Federal prohibition applies to all possession, not only sale.

Weapons currently owned are not exempted either. If you owned it, got convicted of a DV offense, turn it in or face federal charges.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Links