NC Supreme Court restores felon's gun rights

This is a discussion on NC Supreme Court restores felon's gun rights within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Bingo!...

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: NC Supreme Court restores felon's gun rights

Bingo!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Intentionally writing bad checks is a felony. Does that deserve being prohibited from owning firearms for life? Violent felonies, yes. Non-violent felonies? Depends on the nature of the crime.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Nothing in any law has any exceptions for various types or levels of felony. It's a felony it's done with intent and adjuticated in a court of law and the defendant is found guilty. It's on you and, you own it for the rest of your life. It is not a traffic citation. That's just the way it is and sadlysometimes life is unfare, but it is about personal responsibility.
    Last edited by mook012; December 9th, 2011 at 04:34 PM. Reason: added content

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Just curious, but exactly which felonies do you think should be misdemeanors (or legal?) Why do you want to excuse or mitigate illegal behavior of any sort?

Personally, I think the distinction is meaningless. I think all crimes should be felonies. The only reason we have classes of misdemeanors and felonies is to sort out equivalencies of punishment.

Just as I wrote that no one accidentally commits a felony, guess what? No one accidentally commits a misdemeanor, either.
    Dumb Laws in South Carolina. Crazy South Carolina Laws. We have weird laws, strange laws, and just plain crazy laws!

I've done at least 4 of those, and had no idea. And, I KNOW that NOBODY in SC follows the law about blind intersections; because it's illegal to discharge a firearm inside city/town limits. So, with that, you're breaking a law by following another? Doesn't make any sense.

Dumb Laws in North Carolina. Crazy North Carolina Laws. We have weird laws, strange laws, and just plain crazy laws!

And, at least one here. That's just the two states that I'm frequently in- not even the states that I don't go to but could be committing crimes based on their laws.

Take a look at the Arizona link and see what you find that YOU may have done. Or know someone that has and didn't know about it.
    'Stuff' happens, and you can't know everything.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Intentionally writing bad checks is a felony. Does that deserve being prohibited from owning firearms for life? Violent felonies, yes. Non-violent felonies? Depends on the nature of the crime.
    In an effort to appear tough on crime governments are making more and more crimes felonies. Its only a matter of time before we are all felons.

Michael

Take a look at the Arizona link and see what you find that YOU may have done. Or know someone that has and didn't know about it.

Just did just what you said. The last law says that it is illegal for a woman to wear pants in Tucson. The wife is on her way home and we live in Tucson.........what should I do?
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackson85746 View Post

Just did just what you said. The last law says that it is illegal for a woman to wear pants in Tucson. The wife is on her way home and we live in Tucson.........what should I do?
    Make a citizens arrest and frisk her!!
    DPro.40 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Why are we resurrecting a two year old thread?

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    Why are we resurrecting a two year old thread?
    Because if we had opened a new one we would have been trashed for not taking advantage of the search feature.

Michael

Distinguished Member
    Restore their voting rights too, heck let them vote in prison and in jails. Do u think they will vote liberal? This country is going further and further down the drain every day....

Lossing part of ones civil rights is a part of being a convicted of a violent crime. What about the victims rights and the part of their life that was lost including complete loss of life, do they get that back?

Quote Originally Posted by rstanek View Post
    Lossing part of ones civil rights is a part of being a convicted of a violent crime. What about the victims rights and the part of their life that was lost including complete loss of life, do they get that back?
    The loss of the rights to own certain weapons because of a felony is a fairly recent happening. Prior to the 1968 federal gun law felons were allowed to own firearms. Now more recently we have allowed the government to take away those rights from people who commit certain misdemeanors.
    Am I the only one that notices a trend here?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by J Bowen View Post
    Maybe it should depend on what kind of felony.
    I can see the argument of every person should
    have the right to protect themselves even a felon
    but not sure I would feel great about violent convicted
    felons to legally have guns either.
    In NC it is a felony for a someone to have a firearm
    on any school grounds I believe. Even if they have a permit.
    IF so my thought is say a permit holder crossed through a campus
    with a concealed gun and for whatever reason gets caught then
    they should never be able to have a gun again. Sounds extreme
    to me. But if someone wants a gun whether a felon or not or legal
    or not they can get one anyway.

WOW you hit that right on the head. That is what happened to me. No prior record now I can't own a firearm. I never served any jail time but now I am one of the "bad" guys?

i want my rights back

im a 31 year old man with two kids when i was 20 2001 i was charged with felony possetion of mariwauna and maintaining a dwelling at the time i never owned a gun i felt i was to young to own one and not responsable enouph to own one well in 2004 i was convicted threw the addvice of my lawyer on a plea that no jail time to be served and chharges of my wife be dropped so i took plea well not knowing i couldnt eveer own a gun well ive never been in trouble before that are after it is now been quiet a long time im from the country theres a way of life i enjoy but xcant do do you no how heart breaking it is to tell your 7 and 8 year old son that i cant take them hunting not only has the right to bear arms been took but also a way of life i drive trucks for a living same job for 8 years i also seved in the milatary released on medical discharge before the event happened what can i do i cried many nights over this and at almost a lost for words i did my time im a great dad i just want my life back i dont understand how my life has been tooking away because im being disscremenated against im a very loving personand a man who stands for what is wright what can i do i just want my life back

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I'm split on the issue. Violent felons should not get them unless they prove good behavior outside of jail for at least 5 years after their release date.
    You mean, a guy who didn't get caught would get his gun back? I mean, there's no way to really prove that you behaved well. It just means nobody caught you behaving badly. Am I right?

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Links