NC Supreme Court restores felon's gun rights

This is a discussion on NC Supreme Court restores felon's gun rights within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; NC Supreme Court restores felon's gun rights RALEIGH, N.C. -- The North Carolina Supreme Court says a 2004 law that bars convicted felons from having ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: NC Supreme Court restores felon's gun rights

RALEIGH, N.C. -- The North Carolina Supreme Court says a 2004 law that bars convicted felons from having a gun, even within their own home or business, is unconstitutional.

The state's high court ruled Friday in the case of Barney Britt of Wake County that the General Assembly went too far five years ago when it toughened restrictions on felons owning guns as part of a broad anti-domestic-violence bill.

Justice Patricia Timmons-Goodson said in a dissenting opinion the decision could encourage challenges against state bans on felons and the insane owning guns.
    I've been saying it all along. Felons should get their all of their right returned when they return as a member of society.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Faitmaker View Post

I've been saying it all along. Felons should get their all of their right returned when they return as a member of society.
    You feel someone who was convicted of of a homicide should get their right to own a gun again when their sentence is served? What about the gangbanger who raped and beat a 90 year old woman? What about Bernie Madoff who stole millions and ruined thousands of peoples retirement?

Sorry, you do a crime, you face the consequences. If you want your rights back you petition for them to be returned.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    You feel someone who was convicted of of a homicide should get their right to own a gun again when their sentence is served? What about the gangbanger who raped and beat a 90 year old woman? What about Bernie Madoff who stole millions and ruined thousands of peoples retirement?

Sorry, you do a crime, you face the consequences. If you want your rights back you petition for them to be returned.
    I think Bernie Madoff should be able to apply for his permit when he gets out...he'll be 221 years old...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    It's a moot point, federal law prohibits anyone with a domestic violence conviction from owning firearms and dealers have to follow federal law. He might circumvent this through a private sale, but I sure wouldn't sell to him.
    Michael Savage is right, liberalism IS a mental disorder.
    Last edited by automatic slim; August 29th, 2009 at 05:00 PM. Reason: *
    pittypat21 likes this.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Felons should NEVER have their rights restored. No one accidentally commits a felony. Actions have consequences; often they are life changing.
    wmhawth and The Old Anglo like this.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I'm split on the issue. Violent felons should not get them unless they prove good behavior outside of jail for at least 5 years after their release date. Non violent felons should have their rights restored once they are released.
    Eagleks likes this.

So basically the ads "You do the crime, you do the time" are false advertising as it promotes the thought that once you have served your time, you will be welcomed back as a productive member of society. How can we epect those who have doen their time to ever be absorbed back in if we are still judging their bad mistakes long after they did them?

Also, we all know the courts and feel-goods make nobody do the time. That's the problem. People get let out to early. A 10-year stretch commuted down to 2 years doesn't make anybody think about the crime they are about to commit or have already committed. "Hmm, if I get caught, I could do a 2 year stretch. It's worth it".

And please. Let's not make it out that all criminals are the most evil villains of all time. Most really aren't. They made a bad choice or fell into the wrong crowd. We sit here on this board and cry all day long about how 2nd amendment is our right and then just as easily decide who is allowed to have those unalienable rights. I'm sorry. It's hypocritical. Either it's for all men or it's not. You choose. Just remember, the moment you break the bubble, now we get to decide if for some reason, YOU should not get to carry.
    genauwiedu and mrm like this.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    I completely agree@!! nicely said!

I do however feel that the rights should not be automatically returned rather a board should convene where you are faced with a challenging case where you prove you have truly served your time and learned a lesson and can prove that you should have your rights returned.

Some of the wisest people about living life have done some of the stupidest things so that they can teach others how not to live.

Anyways a ex-criminal whom is truly back on their feet and is harmless will show it by even petitioning for their rgihts back. A person who is going right back to prison at some point in the future will not waste their time becuase they already probably have purchased a gun from a trunk dealer in an alley from the drug money they made selling to teenagers down the block.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    And please. Let's not make it out that all criminals are the most evil villains of all time. Most really aren't. They made a bad choice or fell into the wrong crowd.
    Those poor innocent rapists, murders and armed thugs. They're not evil, just misunderstood. They grew up in a bad environment. Let's sit down with them and discuss their issuuuues and feeelings. They just made a bad choice. Right.

Just remember, the moment you break the bubble, now we get to decide if for some reason, YOU should not get to carry.
    That is exactly right. It is called self governance. The moment you CHOOSE to be a felon we as a society do indeed reserve the RIGHT to limit your freedom.
    wmhawth and tricolordad like this.

Maybe it should depend on what kind of felony.
    I can see the argument of every person should
    have the right to protect themselves even a felon
    but not sure I would feel great about violent convicted
    felons to legally have guns either.
    In NC it is a felony for a someone to have a firearm
    on any school grounds I believe. Even if they have a permit.
    IF so my thought is say a permit holder crossed through a campus
    with a concealed gun and for whatever reason gets caught then
    they should never be able to have a gun again. Sounds extreme
    to me. But if someone wants a gun whether a felon or not or legal
    or not they can get one anyway.

VIP Member
    So basically the ads "You do the crime, you do the time" are false advertising as it promotes the thought that once you have served your time, you will be welcomed back as a productive member of society. How can we epect those who have doen their time to ever be absorbed back in if we are still judging their bad mistakes long after they did them?
    Nothing false about it, they don't say that once you've done the time you are going to be able to resume a normal life like it never happened.

A prison record will haunt you the rest of your life. Employers do criminal background check, educational institutions do also, along with banks and credit institutions when processing applications.

After a person gets out of prison they have the right to petition to have their rights restored, very few do so. Remember, they made a choice to break the law. Being young is no excuse, being with the wrong crowd is no excuse. Whenever I hear someone use those excuses, the first thing I think is "Another jerk who's blaming someone else, instead of taking responsibility for their own actions".
    pittypat21 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Felons should NEVER have their rights restored. No one accidentally commits a felony. Actions have consequences; often they are life changing.
    Could not have said it better.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    How does it make sense to let a convicted felon out of jail, so he can move into the house next door, and at the same time tell him that he cannot legally possess a firearm? Is he a dangerous felon that should be locked up in jail or is he a reborn citizen that deserves his freedom? It takes a warped mind to believe he is both. To quote Walter Sobchak, "Has the whole world gone crazy?"

A few weeks ago, I heard a news story on the radio about the local police going door to door to warn people that a convicted sex offender had moved into their neighborhood. Apparently he targets 12 year old girls and lures them with candy and money. Well, shouldn't we take away his right to own candy and money so he won't be able to hurt anyone? All the girls will be safe, if only the pervert is candy-banned. He has a right to live next door. Hogwash!

I say lock 'em up until we can trust them with a gun. Don't let them out before then. Problem(s) solved.
    mrm likes this.

I don't think violent felons,or habitual felons should get the right to own firearms restored,somebody commits a non violent felony that served their sentence and hasn't committed anymore then I say he made a mistake
    genauwiedu and mrm like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

looked up some felonies in NC
    Biggest two I found that are lesser felonies
    yet IMO shouldnt keep someone from
    buying a gun but does is changing mileage of vehical
    odometer and forging an inspection sticker.
    Someone if convicted of either of these two crimes
    could probably go to court though and get their rights restored
    but maybe not. Either way with something like this yes it is
    wrong but shouldnt keep someone from buying a gun or voting

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Links