Amtrak now required to allow transport of firearms. [merged]

This is a discussion on Amtrak now required to allow transport of firearms. [merged] within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by paul34 Amtrak: Honest passengers are unarmed? Check. Train runs through remote areas far from any law enforcement response and possibly even cellular ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amtrak now required to allow transport of firearms. [merged]

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    Amtrak:

Honest passengers are unarmed? Check.
    Train runs through remote areas far from any law enforcement response and possibly even cellular reception? Check.

If I was a criminal/terrorist, I'd be drawing out some plans right now.
    Why they haven't placed a brick of C4 onto 1000 lines of track, by now, is beyond me. Easy as pie to disrupt the entire network.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    The title of this thread is "Amtrak now required to allow transport of firearms."

The linked item states that the Senate has so voted, but there is no mention of a House vote or a presidential signature.
    That is correct; the bill has to get through the House and His Barackness before Amtrak's policies will change.
    Visit my Winchester Ranger Talon page for current pricing.

VIP Member

Amtrak and gun transportation

Yeah I know. I still wont ride Amtrak. But atleast its catching up to the airlines.

Amtrak Amendment Overwhelmingly Passes in the Senate
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

Is there strip-searching of every passenger, and/or detectors screening every passenger? If not, then how can armed criminals be kept from Amtrak trains? I'm just asking.

Seems to me that criminals get on trains, armed, daily. The only thing denial by our elected autocrats of the carrying of life-saving equipment (defensive tools) does is to disarm potential victims in advance of crimes. I have yet to find a senator who can explain this lunacy adequately well. I'm not holding my breath.

Still, passing the minor-improvements Amtrak Act is better than not passing it, I suppose. Though, it won't impact the ratio of armed felons to upstanding citizens one bit. Until elected autocrats stop treating us as criminals for protecting our families, we'll remain potential criminals in their eyes.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Exactly. This does nothing to keep passengers any safer. Until Amtrak allows carry on trains, I wont be riding ( and probably not even then ). But to tell people they cant even transport a gun in their stored luggage is beyond belief.
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

Not good enough yet...until I can be armed, I won't take a train...and I would love to do so...
    The last train I was on, had no special place for luggage...just an open carrier car and you had to find your own luggage when getting off. I'm not putting a gun in that system.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Not good enough yet...until I can be armed, I won't take a train.
    Yup. And that's not out of fear or worry or concern, for those who mistake the motivation. It's what's right. "Voting with the wallet" is about the only way I can show my displeasure in any practical way with having been goosed by my reps, aside from twisting their arms (which is a constant thing, for all the good it seems to do). It also doesn't help that it can cost more to take a train than a jet, and yet it can take 20x the time to get there. And still the brain-dead organization running the outfit can't seem to make a profit. I'm sure you can also bet when the elected putzes take the damned thing, their bodyguards go armed. Yeah.

When they force what's right to become what's done, then we'll see.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; September 20th, 2009 at 11:27 AM. Reason: spelling and grammar
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Amtrak

I seriously doubt if all CCW holders were to ride Amtrak, they would ever break even, or make a profit. The government has allowed it to dwindle down to nothing. Service is lousy, and not getting better. BIL rode Amtrak, from Indianapolis to East Coast, and back. 1/4 of trip was by bus. Connections lousy, etc etc.
    With the present administration, it amazes me that the Senate pushed this issue, when the do gooder politicians are attempting to strip the 2nd Amendment. Just MHO

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

remember: this has only passed the Senate so far...

...and that is probably as far as it will get.

From https://secure.firearmscoalition.org...d=425&Itemid=1 :
    "Now for the shenanigans:

Even though the amendment passed easily - with a few surprising (and suspicious) votes in favor - this is not a done deal. Since the Senate version of the underlying appropriations bill is now different from the version passed in the House, there must be a Reconciliation Conference to bring the two versions into line. For a conference, both houses select a number of representatives who are supposed to go sit down together and hash out their differences, settling on a final bill they believe will be acceptable in both houses. That version of the bill is then sent to the floors of the House and the Senate where it receives an up or down vote. No amendments are accepted for a reconciled bill. While this amendment passed by a vote of 68 to 30, the prospects of it surviving the reconciliation process seem pretty slim. Even though the conference committee is weighted with 13 members who voted for the amendment and 8 who voted against it, + 1, Byrd of WV, who did not vote, those numbers can be deceptive.

Of the 22 members of the committee, 12 are rated "F" by GOA with 3 rated "D," 1 rated "C," 2 rated "B," and only 4 rated "A." Additionally, virtually all of the "F" rated members who voted for the amendment are "bullet proof," hailing from states where liberty is a lost art and there is little likelihood of successfully defeating them at the ballot box.

Given those facts, it is very probable that Senate leadership chose to allow the amendment to pass with the intention of stripping it out in conference. It will be interesting to see whether the House also appoints staunch anti-gunners as the majority of their conference representatives."

Go to the link to see a breakdown of the vote and the Senate representatives to the Conference Committee.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar

One Step to being able to carry on AMTRAK

WASHINGTON The Senate voted Wednesday to permit passengers on the Amtrak passenger railroad to transport handguns in their checked baggage.

The proposal, approved by a 68-30 vote, seeks to give Amtrak riders rights comparable to those enjoyed by airline passengers, who are permitted to transport firearms provided that they declare they are doing so and that the arms are unloaded and in a securely locked container.

"Americans should not have their Second Amendment rights restricted for any reason, particularly if they choose to travel on America's federally subsidized rail line," said Sen. Roger Wicker, R-Miss., who made the proposal.

Wicker's amendment would deny the railroad its $1.6 billion taxpayer subsidy unless it changes the gun policy.

Current Amtrak policy, put in place after the bombings of passenger trains in Madrid five years ago, prohibits weapons, including firearms, from being carried on its trains.

Prior to the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, Amtrak permitted firearms to be carried on its trains so long as they were separately secured in locked baggage or carrying cases. But it added restrictions on carrying weapons after 9/11 and imposed a total ban on all weapons after the Madrid bombings.

Wednesday's vote was the latest in a string of victories for gun rights activists in the Senate despite Democrats' sizable majority. Some 27 Democrats, including Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada, voted for the amendment, many from Western or Southern states. Independent Bernie Sanders of Vermont, who aligns with Democrats and is one of the chamber's most liberal members, also voted on the pro-gun rights side.

"Law-abiding people who choose to travel by rail should be able to carry their firearms as they would on an airplane in checked baggage," National Rifle Association spokesman Andrew Arulanandam said.

Opponents of changing the policy back, such as Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., say it would be too costly and burdensome to return to the old policy. Durbin said that "Amtrak doesn't have the security infrastructure, the processes or the trained personnel in place to ensure that checked firearms would not be lost, damaged, stolen or misused."

The chief author of the underlying transportation appropriations bill, Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash., said implementing the policy would be too costly.

"Amtrak would have six months to build a process for checking and tracking firearms. It would have to find the manpower necessary to screen and guard firearms and it would have to purchase the equipment necessary," Murray said. "If they do not comply, Amtrak will shut down."

Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, said he "doesn't have problems with people transporting guns on trains so long as steps are taken to make sure they're secured and properly stowed."

He added that some senators are eager to get back in good stead with the National Rifle Association after crossing the group by voting to confirm Sonia Sotomayor to the Supreme Court and to defeat a proposal to permit people with concealed weapons permits to carry hidden guns outside their home states.

The legislation still must be reconciled with a House-passed measure than does not contain the gun rights provision.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

So it seems a small victory - however this is just for CHECKED baggage - and I'd like to know who the 30 people are that voted against it!

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    WOW! Thats a pretty good margin in a democratically controlled senate. I too would like to know how each senator voted just to see who's truly pro-gun and who's just pandering.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    WOW! Thats a pretty good margin in a democratically controlled senate. I too would like to know how each senator voted just to see who's truly pro-gun and who's just pandering.
    They are ALL just pandering!

I will not check my weapons in baggage for Amtrak or the airlines. I'm sure any possible criminals will check theirs. It just gives me such a warm fuzzy feeling to know that our government is keeping us safe.
    Consequently, I no longer travel by air or rail. Driving is a nice way to see the country.
    --
    If I'm repeating myself, or repeating myself differently, it's probably 'cause of the brain cells I've murdered and the selective memory caused by concussions, contusions and confusions. Oh yeah, and that one night in Dallas.

NRA-Life Member
    ATA- Life Member
    --Guns? What guns?--

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I can't believe Paul Helmke didn't have anything negative to say. Is there a full moon or something?
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Haven't been on a train in many years so I need to ask if you go through a metal detector prior to boarding or you just walk on?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links