Amtrak now required to allow transport of firearms. [merged]

This is a discussion on Amtrak now required to allow transport of firearms. [merged] within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just like checking them in with an airline. Senate passes measure to allow gun transport on Amtrak - CNN.com Wonder if this effects CCW permit ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amtrak now required to allow transport of firearms. [merged]

VIP Member

Amtrak now required to allow transport of firearms. [merged]

Just like checking them in with an airline.

Senate passes measure to allow gun transport on Amtrak - CNN.com

Wonder if this effects CCW permit holders at all?
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

2. Remove Ads

I don't think we'll be allowed to carry concealed, but before it was completely illegal to have any firearms on board, so it is a good first step. Hopefully it will stay in the final bill this time and not get vetoed.

"The measure lays out the following guidelines:

• Before checking the bag or boarding the train, the passenger must declare that the firearm or pistol is in his or her bag and is unloaded.

• The firearm or pistol must be carried in a hard-sided container.

• The hard-sided container must be locked, and only the passenger has the combination or key."

Senate OKs measure that would allow guns on Amtrak
    GOP senator wants guns allowed on Amtrak
    The above quoted are the Titles atop 2 Articles I have read.

They purposely make it sound like anyone can just walk on with a gun.

I hate the Media.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

I have never understood the big deal about having a firearm on a train - it's not like you're gonna hijack the train and force it to Cuba.

That is excellent news. We now have one more mode of travel that is 2A friendly to a degree. Once in a rare while I wonder what it would like to take an Amtrak trip to somewhere.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tflhndn View Post
    I have never understood the big deal about having a firearm on a train - it's not like you're gonna hijack the train and force it to Cuba.
    +1
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Just like checking them in with an airline.

Wonder if this effects CCW permit holders at all?
    If "just like" with airlines, then CHL folks won't be exempt from anything.

Though, I don't see it should be anything other than treating CHL's like we do folks with automobile travel. I mean, it's not like the train's gonna fall out of the sky, and there frankly isn't any other justifiable rationale (IMO) to deny CHL folks the right to carry on-board a silly train. It is NO different than a bus, a taxi, a street car, light metro rail, or a personal car.

It's ludicrous in the first degree. It shows how controlling the autocrats really think they need to be, even for worthless, unjustifiable reasons. There is no social benefit obtained by such restrictions on the actions of upstanding people, and criminals will find away around the silly finger-waggling and signs anyway.

My suggestion for the appropriate way to handle federal futzing, at least until unrestricted, unregulated carry by upstanding citizens becomes the law of the land: you're required to legally comply with the rules/regs in any state you transit through, as with traveling via your car. Make any federal statutes like THAT, and I'll be reasonably satisfied with the job the bureaucrats did. Otherwise ...
    Last edited by ccw9mm; September 17th, 2009 at 12:24 AM. Reason: clarification
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Baby steps...but it still sucks.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

So if a terrorist hijacks the train,I must first unlock the case and get my gun out,then I gotta unlock a second bag and retrieve my ammo,then I gotta load my gun.Now I know why I don't ride the choo choo
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

THAT"S A GOOD ONE

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    So if a terrorist hijacks the train,I must first unlock the case and get my gun out,then I gotta unlock a second bag and retrieve my ammo,then I gotta load my gun.Now I know why I don't ride the choo choo
    No. The gun will be in your checked baggage, and you won't have access to it.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    The title of this thread is "Amtrak now required to allow transport of firearms."

The linked item states that the Senate has so voted, but there is no mention of a House vote or a presidential signature.

The Real Story Here

It is not the guns, it is the total lack of real security for passengers getting on the train, and the lack of control of checked baggage that is the real story. Firearms were banned in stages, first after 9/11, and later after the attacks on the trains in Madrid (like making it against Amtrak regulations is going to stop some Mumbai whack job from taking a gun to the train station).

The NY Times, in an editorial today on this Senate action, spills the beans. It appears that random checks of people and baggage are made, but unless you waved your pistole around - or you were caught printing, there is no structured security to keep you off carrying concealed, let alone in your carry-on (or even your checked, for that matter) luggage.

The Times, in its normal anti-gun rant, is against this because it would require the baggage car to be secured, and an airline sterile area appraoch would have to be created for passengers and carry-on luggage.

Banners always seem to be stupider than we think they can be. Bin Ladin and his Merry Band now know how to hit Amtrak (and the commuter rail lines around NYC) courtesy of the NY Times.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

Well, small steps...

If checked baggage only, that kind of sucks, but still you can travel with your firearm. I have avoided train travel altogether because I can't bring my gun to my final destination.

No worse than air travel but certainly not any better. It sucks! But a step in the right direction.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Amtrak:

Honest passengers are unarmed? Check.
    Train runs through remote areas far from any law enforcement response and possibly even cellular reception? Check.

If I was a criminal/terrorist, I'd be drawing out some plans right now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links