Students for Concealed Carry on Campus at Virginia Tech needs help

Students for Concealed Carry on Campus at Virginia Tech needs help

This is a discussion on Students for Concealed Carry on Campus at Virginia Tech needs help within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Please join us if you can. dave PS: Also please send to your friends who might be able to attend and post on any other ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Students for Concealed Carry on Campus at Virginia Tech needs help

VIP Member

Exclamation Students for Concealed Carry on Campus at Virginia Tech needs help

Please join us if you can.

dave

PS: Also please send to your friends who might be able to attend and post on any other RKBA forum, on which you are active.

From VA-ALERT
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ken Stanton with Students For Concealed Carry on Campus at Virginia Tech just sent me [PHILIP VAN CLEAVE -- PRESIDENT VCDL] this urgent email:

Dear Fellow Protectors of Freedom -

Our self-defense rights are under fire here at Virginia Tech, and we're asking for your help in protecting them. The "Center for Peace Studies and Violence Prevention" is holding its first event of the semester, and they are making it clear that their idea of preventing violence is achieved by disarming good people. The event involves a screening of ABC's horribly-biased 20/20 special "If I Only Had a Gun" (see critiques at the end of this letter) followed by a panel discussion with Q&A - and of course, the panel is loaded with anti-gun folks. [PHILIP VAN CLEAVE -- PRESIDENT VCDL: They are ALL anti-gun - Josh Horowitz, Andrew Goddard, Lori Haas, and Omar Samaha. Leave it to the antis to be dishonest by loading the entire "panel" with those who agree with only one side.]

So, since the show is biased and the panel is loaded, in response we need to load the audience with people who understand and respect the right to bear arms and the right of self-defense. I understand this is short notice, but since we just learned of the event, we too are having to make adjustments to attend. If you can make time on Thursday night for this, here's what we need people to do:

1) Expert Speakers -- If you are a CHP instructor, police officer, lawyer, author, or otherwise trained and knowledgeable supporter of Second Amendment rights and issues, we need you to speak up and engage the biased "panel" that they have arranged.

2) Audience Supporters -- They claim they already have 50 attendees to their event that aims to disarm everyone in the name of "peace and non- violence" - we need to greatly outnumber them and show that the large majority of Americans support the right to bear arms. We need you to listen to the discussion and applaud for those statements that you support. Please email us quickly to let us know you're coming (sccc@vt.edu ).

3) Helpers and Coordinators -- Since we expect a lot of people will come to the event who are unfamiliar with the campus, we are asking people to coordinate and carpool if possible to help everyone find their way around. Also, we may need people to help hand out information and direct people to the event at Squires Student Center.

Event info:Thursday, Sept 24th 7-9pm (please arrive 30-60 min early to ensure good seating)Haymarket Theatre, in Squires Student Center on Virginia Tech campus (Event Services - Ticket Office | University Unions & Student Activities | Virginia Tech )Open to the public, respectful attire requested, 500 seats available, and handicapped accessibleAlso see the attached brochure on event

Event host: "The Center for Peace Studies and Violence Prevention" and "Students for Non-Violence"http://www.cpsvp.vt.edu/index.html - Note that nowhere in their goals and mission do they talk about guns - are they trying to hide this part of their agenda, but it's coming out in their first major event? A few of us attended their first meeting, as we were interested in the organization, but they directly attacked our group while we were in the room saying that we wanted to "give out guns to unstable students" - what a lie! [PHILIP VAN CLEAVE -- PRESIDENT VCDL: Anti-gunners lying with a straight face? I'm shocked.]

Notwithstanding, if you attend, please be respectful of everyone regardless of whether or not they agree with you. Make points succinctly and clearly, be respectful and courteous, and let them be the ones to lose their cool when they see how that their objectives are based on false premises [PHILIP VAN CLEAVE -- PRESIDENT VCDL: No sweat - VCDL members have that down to an art form.]; keep your cool just like you do when you are carrying. Also, remember that we all have the same goal - to make the world a safer place - we just disagree on how it should be done. We are just going to show that our side has a lot more support and reason behind it! [PHILIP VAN CLEAVE -- PRESIDENT VCDL: Ken is being overly generous. Their real goal is not about safety, but dictating and controlling the lives of others. Their trickery in setting up this loaded "panel" discussion is absolute proof of that.]

We hope to see you there, please bring others along with you, and send any questions, comments, and RSVP's to sccc@vt.edu. Also, please forward this message to other supporters right now - we need everyone! This event is BIG so please make arrangements to make it out – our rights are under attack yet again.

Ken StantonVice President of Leadership and FounderAlyson BoycePresident and Campus LeaderStudents for Concealed Carry on Campus at Virginia Techwww.sccc.org.vt.eduhttp://www.facebook.com/pages/Students-for-Concealed-Carry-on-Campus-at-Virginia-Tech/127977409312

More information:Some critiques of the ABC 20/20 Special:http://www.examiner.com/x-2323-LA-Gu...009m4d11-If-I- Only-Had-A-Gun-misfires-for-2020-when-they-cannot-stay-on-topichttp://thepatriotbyte.blogspot.com/2009/04/not-seeing-clearly-2020s-gun-hit-piece.htmlhttp://www.examiner.com/x-2698-Charlotte-Gun-Rights- Examiner~y2009m4d13-Myths-of-armed-selfdefense-If-I-only-hadthe-truth
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

i will try to be there

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    "Peace activists" LOL. The left is sure adept at conceiving nice sounding names and mottos that really mean the opposite of what they are pushing. I'd attend, but I'll be vacationing in the Peoples Democratic Republic of North Korea.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

As a Va. Tech alimni I would love to be there, however, I live in SC and can.t make it, please try and keep us up to date on this event. Thanks for posting.

I hope you guys can get the numbers,the only problem is the panel will probably shoot down your replys and probably only call on people in the audience they have planted to ask questions.Nothing like a prearranged Q&A they have scripted
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

SCCC asked to put someone on the panel but i am not holding my breath.

Good luck with the meeting. I wouldnt expect they would let anyone from SCCC on the panel because they are afraid of not controling the situation

I have forwarded it to Dr. Piazza at Front Sight and to Gun Owners of America and to other Pro 2A people/ organizations.

I wish I were able to attend. These "people' plan this stuff out for probably weeks in advance and then let their opposition know about it with just days/hours notice.

That is just slime, it also shows the cowardice and lack of substance that they themselves hold.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

As a VT alum I'd like to attend as well, but I have an appointment Thursday evening. I hope those able to attend are heard.
    G23 w/GTL21, G27, Ruger LCP, & Taurus 617 SS
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Member
    VT Class of '96

Thumbs up

Sounds like an incredibly worthwhile endeavor, particularly meaningful since it is going to occur at the side of the massacre at Virginia Tech a couple years back.

Can't attend, but my heart is with each of you who will be. Go get 'em!

Supporting files: Mass Shootings At Virginia Tech -- Review Panel Report, April 16 2007
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member

Thumbs up Good Pro-RKBA showing.

Well, it went well -- albeit:

No pro-RKBA members of the panel

The TV coverage was a hatchet job, on the two stations that I taped

I doubt if anyone changed their mind.

However,

- The crowd was very small considering 30,000+ full-time students (a fairly small auditorium, less that half full)

- about half that audience wore blaze orange "Guns Save Lives" button/stickers and were respectful and presented themselves quite well

- the vast majority of the Qs in the Q&A were from people wearing blaze orange "Guns Save Lives" button/stickers

- the questions were hard and for the most part well articulated

- the "loaded" panel showed frustration that it wasn't a anti-RKBA love fest

- the moderator got more frustrated

- the "head" of the "Center for Peace Studies and Violence Prevention" got frustrated enough to intervene and take over the mike for a long ramble of hopeful wishing.

IMHO, "Center for Peace Studies and Violence Prevention" now know they do not have a bully pulpit to hype their agenda.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Congratulations on the event. Sounds like it was a success.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    IMHO, "Center for Peace Studies and Violence Prevention" now know they do not have a bully pulpit to hype their agenda.
    Dave:

You know, the prevention of violence (against me and mine) is exactly the goal I have each and every time I reach for my life-saving gear. Never once have I wished violence upon anyone, while carrying the means of defending against violent attack.

I'd be willing to bet that the primary goal of nearly all CHL carriers is to avoid such violence.

If this organization's goal is truly about violence prevention, then we're all on the same side of that debate, all in agreement that violence is best prevented.

They simply need to realize that disarmament of potential victims won't ever ensure victimless crimes. It'll only ensure defenseless victims, which itself will only ensure increased violence against those victims.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

I'd be willing to bet that the primary goal of nearly all CHL carriers is to avoid such violence.

If this organization's goal is truly about violence prevention, then we're all on the same side of that debate, all in agreement that violence is best prevented. [emphases added]
    ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

Absolutely

However, one panel member is openly against any form of gun ownership. In her closing remarks, she laid her goal for this presentation on the table, figuratively. She made a pitch to rally students at VT to vote against the local State Senator who is on record that he votes the way the majority of his constituency wants -- e.g., pro-RKBA. This whole issue of students voting against the local residence is a touchy one.

Two claim to be pro-RKBA arms "w/ reasonable restrictions." However, in their panel presentations last night (and in their presentations to the State Legislators, which I have set though, before) their real agenda creeps out. Their goal is much like Washington DC, e.g., a very limited range of firearms kept in the home, only. When pushed for carry outside the home, they come back to maybe w/ ongoing/repetitive training/proficiency mandates that would rival SWATs regimens. They ignore/deny knowledge of FBI studies showing most LEOs do not have that level of training/proficiency (which the 20/20 show that started the presentation ignores, also).

The forth panel member, is a lawyer/book author, who is very slick at deflecting questions and even more slick at gratuitous analogies and useing rhetorical question to deflect the questions ask him (e.g., The right to vote is a right also, but it isn't exercised anytime/any place/any how each individual wants....) BTW, that's one he really likes.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    They simply need to realize that disarmament of potential victims won't ever ensure victimless crimes. It'll only ensure defenseless victims, which itself will only ensure increased violence against those victims.
    ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

Again ABSOLUTELY
    Last edited by DaveH; September 25th, 2009 at 10:38 AM. Reason: typo
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Congrats on the efforts, and I agree...probably not many minds were changed...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member

Control

A friend, who was there also, just called and made an observation, which I had not put into word and which I thought I'd share.

"If you ever need evidence that the gun control crowd is about "control" as much as it's about "guns", last night was a dozy. That woman's [the moderator's] time enforcement [un-even] was bad enough, but when that guy [the "head" of the "Center for Peace Studies and Violence Prevention"] took over the microphone -- that iced it."

Or words very close to that.

to my friend.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links