California...Helping others feel better about their state of residence.

This is a discussion on California...Helping others feel better about their state of residence. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sacramento Bee Editorial on AB962 Editorial: Ammunition sales should be checked statewide ShareThis Thursday, Sep. 24, 2009 In 2008, the first year after the Sacramento ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California...Helping others feel better about their state of residence.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar

Sacramento Bee Editorial on AB962

Editorial: Ammunition sales should be checked statewide
    ShareThis

Thursday, Sep. 24, 2009

In 2008, the first year after the Sacramento City Council approved an ordinance requiring local gun dealers to record driver's license numbers and thumbprints of people who purchase ammunition, police were able to track 229 illegal ammunition purchases.

Some 173 convicted felons were among prohibited purchasers, including two people who had been in prison for murder and seven who had active restraining orders against them for domestic violence.

Of those 229 cases, 136 ended in criminal convictions. More importantly, scores of illegal guns and thousands of rounds of ammunition were taken from convicted criminals who were not supposed to have them.

Based on the success in Sacramento, Los Angeles, Oakland and other cities that have enacted similar ammunition registration ordinances, Los Angeles Assemblyman Kevin de León is hoping the governor will sign Assembly Bill 962. The proposed law would require all ammunition retailers in the state to get state identification and fingerprints from their customers.

This is a common-sense law-and-order measure. Convicted felons, people with violent mental health histories or domestic violence restraining orders against them are barred from possessing both firearms and ammunition. There are laws in place that require identity checks and waiting periods for gun purchases, but no such prevention measures guard against illegal ammunition purchases. That's a dangerous loophole the de León bill would close.

Schwarzenegger rejected a similar bill in 2004. In his veto message, he said because the federal government had already determined that ammunition registration "was simply unworkable and offered no public benefit."

The experience in Sacramento and elsewhere around the state shows he's wrong. AB 962 won't end gun violence, but it will make it harder for criminals to get ammunition. The governor should heed the advice of police chiefs in Oakland, Los Angeles and Sacramento and sign it.
    This bill would also ban mail-order ammo sales!
    The really crummy part of this is that the Governor has to actively VETO this by October 11th or it becomes law.
    In anticipation of the Governator living up to his recent reputation of worthlessness, I have just ordered two spam cans of russian surplus.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Using their own statistics, 40% of the illegal purchasers walked. Hardly an overwhelming conviction rate. Those that were convicted will be subject to what, time off for good behavior?
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

There is something horribly wrong with the water or air in Sacramento, It seems that if you live there, statistics take on magical meaning.

I try to keep ammo out of the hands of criminals by BUYING IT FIRST!

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Suppressing the rights of millions of residents in order to catch ...how many criminals? 136?

The fact that these individuals were legally barred from purchasing ammo suggests that A) they've experienced revolving-door justice (which is a judicial problem, not an ammo problem) or B) they've been victimized by a zero-tolerance system by having their rights denied for something other than committing a violent crime. Let's face it, Kalifornia will yank your USC rights on a whim.

Well, at least we know that criminals will now have no way of getting ammo. Right? Right? Hello? Is this thing on...?
    Last edited by jumpwing; September 25th, 2009 at 12:34 AM.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    We lived there 1986 to 1990. Nice people. Nice weather. Terrible place to try to build or manufacture due to legal and regulatory climate. Made my decision to leave easy. It is their right to have the kind of government that they want, but it is not for me. We just have to make sure the federal government's power is curtailed, or we will all be in Kalifornia.

Why anyone would want to live in CA is beyond my thinking...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've been here for two years. Marking the months until I can leave. If it wasn't for work and my last few years in the marketplace, I'd be gone already.

Why anyone would want to live in CA is beyond my thinking...
    I agree 100% and just hope they don't migrate to Colorado, unless they bring guns, an appreciation for the Constitution and an anti-liberal attitude.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    I lived in San Diego for 10 years.

I now live in GA. Shows how much I give a puke about that crap bucket state.

So much beatuiful outdoors sigh I feel like I have been outlawed to leave the state literally and liberally.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

We left that place 18 years ago, not going back.

In a very short time, the BGs will learn to get their ammo by other means. It will be as hard for them to find as it is to find illegal drugs or illegal immigrants. Decent people will still be stuck with a cumbersome and costly regulatory procedure forever.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I used to live in CA. The way I got to feeling better about my state of residence was to change it. I live 40 years of my life there, and I have no desire to return.

Help kill this thing.............

I know this is California thing but many bad ideas originate here and spread across the country. Take a minute to hit the number below and log in a "No" vote.

Oppose AB962 Now!

AB962 is sitting on the Governor’s desk awaiting his veto or signature. AB962 would mandate the following changes in the way you buy ammunition:

1) It would prohibit the sale of ammo in a manner that allows the ammunition to be accessible without the help of an employee. In other words, you’ll have to stand in line and have to wait to be shown the ammunition you may want to purchase.

2) It would require the dealer to ask for you ID each time you buy handgun ammunition and the dealer will record the following personal information:

a. A thumbprint

b. Your CDL #

c. Your home address and telephone number

d. The brand and type of ammunition that you purchased

e. Your date of birth

3) Additionally, it would be illegal to buy ammo via online or mail order methods, so if a local store can’t find you older, hard-to-get or obsolete ammunition, you won’t be able to get it from via the internet.

Please contact the Governor today and let him know that you oppose AB962.

You can contact him at 916-445-2841 and do an auto-vote against the bill as follows:
    Listen to the recorded message and press in the following order:

1 (English)
    2 (legislation)
    2 (AB962)
    2 (against)

If it is busy – keep trying, and it is easier to get through after hours. It is all automated.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    I know this is California thing but many bad ideas originate here and spread across the country.
    +1, California does tend to set trends for other states.

Someone in Sac needs to write a letter to the Bee explaining how under our form of government, LAW ABIDING people do not have to "ask for permission" to do things.

CRIMINALS, however, are not "law abiding" people and therefore are subject to restrictions upon their liberties. How about endorsing laws which require that the State set up a registration system whereby CRIMINALS are the only ones listed in the data base and that data base is used to prohibit CRIMINALS from doing illegal things like buying and possessing guns, engaging in criminal acts, or purchasing/using illegal drugs.

Oh wait, we already HAVE those laws and that data base. WHY isn't the State using it to prevent CRIMINALS from committing acts that they are prohibited from doing instead of creating a list of "permissions" that authorize the LAW ABIDING to freely enjoy their God-given rights?

This is anti-American, anti-government, and anti-rights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links