"Machine-Gun Social" campaign launch

This is a discussion on "Machine-Gun Social" campaign launch within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Machine Gun Social to kick off campaign South Carolina Candidate Raffles Off AK-47 at Campaign Rally Republican running to be South Carolina's next National Guard ...

Thread: "Machine-Gun Social" campaign launch

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

Machine Gun Social to kick off campaign

South Carolina Candidate Raffles Off AK-47 at Campaign Rally
    Republican running to be South Carolina's next National Guard leader launches his campaign with what he called a "machine-gun social."

AP

Sunday, September 27, 2009

GREENVILLE, S.C. -- A candidate to be South Carolina's next National Guard leader skipped the fiery speeches for firepower, launching his campaign with what he called a "machine-gun social."

The Greenville News reports some 500 people came out to a shooting range Saturday for Republican Dean Allen's political rally. He wants to be the next adjutant general, the person who leads the state's National Guard.

Attendees paid $25 for barbecue, a clip of bullets for target practice and the chance to win a semiautomatic AK-47. Whoever wins the rifle will have to undergo a background check.

South Carolina is the only state that elects its adjutant general.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

That'd be worth $25 to me.

Just $25 to enter? I'd do it. You'd get barbeque and fire off AK mag of 30 rounds with a chance to win that sucker. Who wouldn't?
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Can you enter more than once?

Not that it would do me any good until we get the rest of Roberti Roos overturned, but someday...

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

VIP Member
    A semi-auto AK is a machine gun?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar

'Machine Gun Social'

Candidate Uses AK-47 to Raise Cash
    Semi-Automatic Weapon Given Away at 'Machine Gun Social'
    John Eby, WYFF News 4 Reporter
    POSTED: 5:38 pm EDT September 26, 2009
    UPDATED: 9:17 am EDT September 28, 2009

GREENVILLE S.C. -- A candidate for South Carolina’s Adjutant General found a high-powered way to appeal to supporters over the weekend.

Dean Allen held a drawing for an AK-47 at a fundraiser in Greenville on Saturday.

The event, called a “Machine Gun Social,” was held at Allen Arms Indoor Range on Poinsett Highway. For $25, donors were given a barbeque lunch and twenty shots with a machine gun. A free drawing determined the winner of the semi-automatic AK-47, valued at $700.

“I can't swear that I'll have the biggest fundraiser in terms of money,” Allen said, “but I intend to have the loudest fundraiser in the history of the South Carolina Republican party.”

Allen said he chose the unusual venue to show support for the Second Amendment, and to give people a chance to have fun.

“You know most political candidates -- on the Republican side in particular -- they want to get out to the country club and stand around with a glass of wine in their hand,” he said.

South Carolina is the only state which elects its Adjutant General. The office has authority over the state’s defense forces, including the South Carolina National Guard.

“The plan on paper says the National Guard will reinforce law enforcement. Well, if the National Guard is in Afghanistan it can't do that,” Allen told News 4’s John Eby.

Allen said he advocates bringing National Guardsmen back from Afghanistan to address domestic issues such as illegal immigration.

He cited his military experience as well as around 30 years as a business consultant as qualifications for the office of Adjutant General.

“I'm not some left wing hippie, I spent six years in the Army, and six years in the South Carolina State Guard,” he said.

The current Adutant General, Maj. Gen. Stanhope Spears. He has not said whether he will run for re-election.

As for the AK-47 at the “Machine Gun Social,” Allen says the winner of the drawing was Ken Massone. Massone will have to complete a background check before taking his semi-automatic prize home.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like a FUN political event.

While the event sounds fun, this guy sounds like an idiot. Mislabeling an AK-47 in a well-publicized rally is mistake one...talk about giving ammo to your opponents. Slandering "most republicans" as wine-sipping country clubbers (AGAIN, giving incorrect info to your opponents to beat other GOPers over the head) is mistake two, and possessing a fundamentally inaccurate and incomplete understanding of the National Guard is mistake three, and the most heinous. Further, using phrases like "left-wing hippie" to the press shows he's still living in the 70s and it's unbecoming of a professional officer.

Nobody should be "elected" to a two-star billet. Some of my closest friends are in the South Carolina Air Guard and they are a great unit, but I'm glad we don't elect the AG in VA.

Quote Originally Posted by Holger View Post
    While the event sounds fun, this guy sounds like an idiot. Mislabeling an AK-47 in a well-publicized rally is mistake one...talk about giving ammo to your opponents. .
    Everyone READ the article again, the “AK” that was given away was semi-auto; but the firearms the attendees were SHOOTING (25 rounds according to some reports I’ve been seeing on AFN TV) were full-auto “machine guns”. The first posted article was poorly written and did not do a good job of clearly explaining the situation, I give you " clip of bullets ".

Fair enough, I rescind that observation. My other comments regarding initial impressions of Mr. Dean stand.

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=Holger;1314472]Fair enough, I rescind that observation. /QUOTE]

Ditto.

Nah. I redirect it to the reporter who wrote the article, which I read.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Sound like a perfectly great day to me. If I lived closer, I'd attend.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    This occurred about 30 minutes from my house. Unfortunately, my honey-do list was too long with opening day of deer season approaching and could not attend.

I went by accident (my reason was to purchase an AR) and it was packed. Seething with people from enthusiasts to folks that didn't know the butt from the barrel. MG's available were a tommy gun, m16, MP5 and one other I believe. It was insanely crowded b/c it was unfortunately raining.

I bought my AR, 500rds and went to my local Nat. For. range. Too many people for my taste. I'll revisit the shop when it's a bit tamer. I received an email from the shop owner stating that they were shocked at the amount of exposure this has received. ALL of the major news outlets picked this up and ran with it.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    A clip of bullets...

I didnt know you could clip bullets to a clip and then place them in a firearm haha..

I always thought that you needed brass filled with gun powder with a bullet pressed in for it to function.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Sponsored Links