AB962 on Gov. Schwarzenegger's DESK!! - Page 3

AB962 on Gov. Schwarzenegger's DESK!!

This is a discussion on AB962 on Gov. Schwarzenegger's DESK!! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When the "Governator" signed this bill into law something else came to mind. Where do you think all the Kalifornia residents will be buying their ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AB962 on Gov. Schwarzenegger's DESK!!

When the "Governator" signed this bill into law something else came to mind. Where do you think all the Kalifornia residents will be buying their ammo when this bill goes into effect next year? They won't be able to buy online anymore so they will have to buy elsewhere. This leaves the three neighboring states of Oregon, Nevada and Arizona.

In my case, I can imagine Kalifornia residents traveling to Las Vegas, NV. Imagine what impact of CA residents buying ammo will have on inventories in the Las Vegas area. I can see real ammo shortages in the future. Maybe it's time to start buying, dare I say it "hoarding" again, before the influx of CA residents start driving to Vegas for their ammo needs!

I don't see any good resulting from the "Guv" signing this bill into law in CA at all. I know what I'll be doing over the next few months. I'm going to be looking for some ammo to save up for a rainy day!
    Last edited by Pikachu711; October 13th, 2009 at 02:30 PM.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

How can a guy who's career was made shooting guns in movies, sign anti-gun legislation?

Calif. AB962 signed into law:

OpposingViews.com, 10-13-2009

Schwarzenegger Squanders Limited Funds on Anti-Gun Legislation

By National Rifle Association

Fairfax, Va. - Governor Schwarzenegger has signed a severe yet impotent gun control measure into law. Assembly Bill 962, taking effect on February 1, 2011, mandates individuals purchasing ammunition to be fingerprinted and registered at the time of sale and outlaws mail order ammunition purchases. AB 962 also requires dealers to maintain these records indefinitely and make them available for inspection by the California Department of Justice. As an additional burden, ammunition retailers are also required to store ammunition away from purchasers. AB 692 also failed to garner support from Attorney General Brown, and any law enforcement organization. In fact, 15 sheriffs wrote letters of opposition to this legislation.

“This law presents intrusive and unnecessary burdens that will only affect law-abiding firearm retailers and gun-owners…not criminals,” said Chris W. Cox, NRA chief lobbyist. “At a time when California is facing dire budget problems, California has squandered valuable resources in policing law-abiding Californians instead of investing in substantive measures that target criminals. More than two decades ago, Congress abolished similar requirements to U.S. federal law because ammunition sales records were found to be ineffective for solving crimes. It is indeed regrettable that foolish minds and bogus arguments prevailed over common sense and empirical evidence.”

Governor Schwarzenegger vetoed Senate Bill 585, a bill that would have prohibited the sale of firearms and ammunition on the property or inside the buildings that comprise the Cow Palace in Daly City, just outside of San Francisco. He also signed Senate Bill 175, which will exempt gunsmiths from a vague California law. This exemption will now allow for the exchange of a firearm to or from a gunsmith for purposes of service or repair.

“Governor Schwarzenegger acted in the interest of good public policy with his actions to SB 585 and SB 175. But, in signing AB 962, he has paved the way for one of the most intrusive and ineffective gun control laws that California has seen in recent years,” said Cox.

The National Rifle Association will review all possible options to remove this draconian, requirement from California statute, and will assess legislative and legal remedies to do so.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Because people are STUPID!

People get the government they deserve. The problem is, I didn't vote for what is representing us. The smart people are outnumbered I'm sad to say.

Our days are numbered folks. It's in the history books.

Biker
    +1

As is stated all the time, elections have consequences!! We are seeing this first hand.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    And you can bet that Schwartz will never stay seated again past this term. I guarantee the California people will vote him out.
    After presiding over the current budget fiasco, he was toast anyway, that is why he has removed any hint of restraint.

You bet Californians will be stocking up from neighboring states.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

We also have over a year before this piece of drak goes into effect. I am going to start hoarding ammo and reloading supplies in serious amounts because of this. Most of the people I know are also going to do the same. Which means prices are going to continue to go up everywhere.

Here in CA, at my local Walmart, I buy ammo whenever, if ever, it shows up on the shelves.

After hearing about the Governator signing this bill, I'm going to need another gun safe just for ammo.

Does anyone know where they sell those LED countdown signs? You know, ___ many days until Feb. 2012.

Maybe he is trying to pull an Obama and stimulate the economy?!?
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Yeah, of the neighboring states.

Mexifornia is the 7th largest economy ON THE PLANET!!! and they are broke, the check book is empty, the bank account is closed. And they still have to pay for some major wildfires and the mud slides they are about to experience.

Just where exactly is the money coming from to run this program?

Seriously? I don't get it! when my bank account is empty, I STOP SPENDING.

gezz louise, the Mexifornia Legislature is living proof you can't fix stupid
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Okay, the State Of Mexifornia is now in the business of creating crime?

By creating new crimes, this bill would impose a state-mandated
    local program.
    The California Constitution requires the state to reimburse local
    agencies and school districts for certain costs mandated by the
    state. Statutory provisions establish procedures for making that
    reimbursement.

This bill would provide that no reimbursement is required by this
    act for a specified reason.

So local towns and villages will be on there own to try and pay for this "program"
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

OK, if all the "I'll never set foot in CA again" is over, let me say that things are not completely hopeless. The biggest asset we have right now is the court system. Since Heller, big strides have been made. The courts are holding until the MacDonald (Chicago's Heller) is decided, then we get decisions on incorporation of 2A, overturning CA's "may issue" CCW, and more. Our "assault weapon" ban and 10-rd magazine limits are also targeted for lawsuits against CA. This stuff is already in progress and we'll see results in 2010 regardless of the idiots in Sacramento. Also, the redistricting that Arnold pushed successfully is going to take place next year (I think) and that should upset the sweet manufactured districts that the Dems have used to secure their powerbases. It is possible that Arnold signed AB962 knowing that there was a recent 9-0 SCOTUS finding that overturned a very similar interstate commerce law in (New Hampshire?) earlier this year. AB962 was written with distinct legal weaknesses which will likely bring it down on judicial review.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    Okay, the State Of Mexifornia is now in the business of creating crime?
    Yup. Now you're getting it.

It's not just California, either. "Creating" crime is big business.

"Creating" criminals can be an effective means of the State to create subjects, a population subject to the State's power of the gun and the prison. It's one of the reasons that monopoly power of these two things is so dangerous, in the end.

Go Directly To Jail: The Criminalization of Almost Everything is an interesting book by Gene Healy on exactly this ugly little truth about government, when government seeks to place social controls on the population.

Ayn Rand illustrated this in the novel, Atlas Shrugged, in the scene when Dr. Ferris explains to Hank Rearden the nature of the State's interest in crime and criminalization of everything:

"Did you really think that we want those laws to be observed?" said Dr. Ferris. "We want them broken. You'd better get It straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against - then you'll know that this is not the age for beautiful gestures. We're after power and we mean it. You fellows were pikers, but we know the real trick, and you'd better get wise to it.

There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.

Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced nor objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers - and then you cash in on guilt."
    -- Dr. Ferris, in Atlas Shrugged
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    It is possible that Arnold signed AB962 knowing that there was a recent 9-0 SCOTUS finding that overturned a very similar interstate commerce law in (New Hampshire?) earlier this year. AB962 was written with distinct legal weaknesses which will likely bring it down on judicial review.
    What is the upside for him in signing a bill that will be overturned?

In contrast, Apparently as AG, former Gov. Moonbeam deliberately pushed for Prop 108 (is that right, the anti-gay marriage law) to be written in a way that would make it confusing to vote on and likely to be overturned as well, from what I heard. His upside was that he opposed the bill. (Not getting into that particular debate, just speaking about the Machiavellian machinations of California's political Godfather.)

If Gov. Schwartzenegger is opposed to the bill, signing it doesn't win him any real favors. He's not the left's friend, and it further alienates the right. He scores more points with people who might actually vote for him by vetoing.

If he favors it, why sign a bill likely to get overturned by the SCOTUS? That's just lazy, when he could veto it and say send me a bill that's not going to get overturned.

I'm inclined to think he signed it because A he approves or B he caved to pressure from the left.
    Last edited by CJ810; October 14th, 2009 at 08:33 PM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by CJ810 View Post
    I'm inclined to think he signed it because A he approves or B he caved to pressure from the left.
    He's been caving to pressure from the left for a few years now, so that wouldn't be anything new.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links