New Illinois Gun Law

This is a discussion on New Illinois Gun Law within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I like Illinois, it makes me feel better about living in California....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Illinois Gun Law

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    I like Illinois, it makes me feel better about living in California.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

2. Remove Ads

were living in the social trenches here lol
    "On the subject of Osama bin Laden... we will track him down. We will capture him. We will bring him to justice, and I will follow him to the gates of hell."-John McCain

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    My kind of sheriff.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Its a small step in the right direction for Illinois....but like I have been saying since my very first post here.....the consensus is shifting with the Dem's on 2A.

Unfortunately, you will always have the NY, NJ, CA hardliners clogging the news media.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    I'm not very familiar with Illinois geography (except southern Illinois from my youth), but I note that Sangamon County is not very close to Chicago....
    Mid-state.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

njr
    my understanding is that the console has to be closed, shut, the bullet cannot be in the chamber, and the magazines can be next to the guns. The console does not have to be locked. Check out the discussion on IL Carry for more infor and consult with a lawyer. They are also saying on IL Carry do not do this in Chicago (or even Cook County?) unless you have $10K for a lawyer, and even then the cops may lie about whether the console was closed or not, as may have happened in this case.

Even if SCOTUS rules in our favor, that would only allow us to keep handguns in the home. However, IL Carry has definitely made a step in the right direction by tabling at the African Festival of Life this summer. They got a very positive reception. I will have to join them soon and give them a sustainer. If IL Carry can make inroads among the people of Chicago, CCW could come to Illinois someday.
    By the forests, behind the guns/In the streets and in the houses/Between the tanks, by the roadside/At the hands of the men, of the women, of the children/In the cold, in the dark, in hunger....

Bertolt Brecht, "To The German Soldiers In The East", stanza 9.

one small step in a long journey!
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    And a guy got 2 1/2 years in jail doing something that is legal in most of America.
    But hold on HG....

He stated that he was pulled over as he was "planning to drive to Florida".

If this is true, and I will give him benefit that it is, then he still would be violating law upon doing so as he'd left the state of Illinois.
    Federal transport laws do not allow interstate transport in such a manner. They must be cased and locked for storage, and stowed in ones trunk. Trunk because when these Federal Firearms Act was passed it was common as it is today that all automobiles came with lockable glove compartments or center console bins.

Also I wonder were these guns stored as loaded, or not.
    Having two empty guns for so called protection on the highway is not realistic. But traveling as such interstate with two loaded guns in that specific manner is unlawful at the Federal level and would also be unlawful in many states across the nation.
    Assuming he had no non-resident LTC as in the states where he had planned to travel through. Although even if he did there is still the state to state issue of lawful 'carry' and of lawful transport of firearms.

This persons case is more complicated, to my own view, than it might seem at first blush.
    Though the end result is good for the rest of his states citizens.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Well the shoe has been located, still need to put it on, lace it up, stand up, and take a step in the right direction.

Joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

2.5 years in prison for having two guns in his car. Not shooting someone with them, just having them. This is unconscionable. How does the Prosecutor or Judge sleep at night ?? This law is just plain wrong. How can these people stand for this ?

njr
    12 Rounds, clientelism and corruption and repression has a long history in Chicago, at least as long as the Haymarket frameup of 1886. This is a hub of commerce and capital. The ruling class here is vicious and they don't want the people to exercise their rights. They hate and fear the people. The judges and prosecutors serve the rulers, for the most part.

That said, there is still a history and practice of labor populism here that puts a very partial check on corruption and repression. However, I think in the next five years we're going to see rebellions b/c the loaves of bread have been burnt and the crumbs have stopped falling as much as they used to. It will be interesting.
    By the forests, behind the guns/In the streets and in the houses/Between the tanks, by the roadside/At the hands of the men, of the women, of the children/In the cold, in the dark, in hunger....

Bertolt Brecht, "To The German Soldiers In The East", stanza 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    But hold on HG....

He stated that he was pulled over as he was "planning to drive to Florida".

If this is true, and I will give him benefit that it is, then he still would be violating law upon doing so as he'd left the state of Illinois.
    Federal transport laws do not allow interstate transport in such a manner. They must be cased and locked for storage, and stowed in ones trunk. Trunk because when these Federal Firearms Act was passed it was common as it is today that all automobiles came with lockable glove compartments or center console bins.

- Janq

Janq,

You cannot be in violation of FOPA, you can only be "not in compliance." The distinction is not a subtle one. FOPA merely preempts state law when the laws of the state you are traveling through are more restrictive than what is laid out in FOPA. If not in compliance, they would potentially be in violation of that state's transportation laws, they would not be committing a federal crime.

If you merely wanted to point out that this case does not mirror the persecution of people changing flights in or driving through New York, then I agree. This case only clarifies Illinois law.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links