VA HB1106 vetoed by Kaine

This is a discussion on VA HB1106 vetoed by Kaine within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Governor has received the legislature's recommendations on all the other bills, including the big one, HB1577. HB1106 is the only one vetoed, so far. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VA HB1106 vetoed by Kaine

VA HB1106 vetoed by Kaine

The Governor has received the legislature's recommendations on all the other bills, including the big one, HB1577. HB1106 is the only one vetoed, so far. Kaine stated that the vehicle exemption, allowing anyone without a CCW to carry a concealed weapon in a locked container in their vehicle, placed law enforcement in danger. The Veto session will start soon, and we will see where the legislature stands.

HB1106: Possession of concealed weapons; possession on owner's property and in private vehicles. Clarifies that the prohibition against carrying concealed weapons does not apply when a person is carrying such a weapon on his own property. The law currently specifies that the prohibition does not apply when a person is carrying such a weapon on the cutilage of his abode. In addition, the bill creates a new exemption to the general prohibition against carrying concealed weapons by allowing a person who may lawfully possess a firearm to carry a concealed handgun in a private motor vehicle.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    without a CCW to carry a concealed weapon in a locked container in their vehicle, placed law enforcement in danger.
    Another myth.

Even the thugs that are gonna shoot a cop arent stupid enough to put it in a lock box. It takes too long to get it out.

States like Louisiana where residents can keep a gun in their vehicle without a permit have had little problem with the procedure.

The Govenor needs to start listening to the facts,and put the emotional crap aside.

Assistant Administrator
    allowing anyone without a CCW to carry a concealed weapon in a locked container in their vehicle, placed law enforcement in danger.
    Hogwash!!! As ever, as HG says - are the bad guys gonna use locked boxes, geez!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

You can thank Virginia law enforcement agencies and the Association of Chiefs of Police for lobbying the Governor. We always hear how rank-and-file LEO's really support CCW, but when agency leadership and groups like the VACP lobby against our rights, it is hard to trust that is the case. And, Kaine is a liberal Dem, so one can't be but so surprised.
    - Tom

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I really hate to feel this way.....BUT.....I feel that a vast majority of LEO's don't want anybody to have/carry firearms,expandable nightsticks,billy's,SAP's,TASERS,mace,OC,and especially knives/blades of any kind/length EXCEPT THEM. That's with CWP or not.The majority of LEO's will not even come close to admitting that most of us here can out shoot most of them. Most of them don't know,nor do they care,the amount of training that we have undergone,mostly at our own expense. They don't know or care how often we train or the money we have invested in top quality,technically advanced,super safe gear, to suppliment our firearm.

How can I make these statements? I have talked to allot of them. City,county,and state,LEO's. When you mention that you have a CWP you can see them cringe. I have had them say,"why do you think you need that"? Do you know the laws? Are you safe? And this is the good one. "Who ya gonna shoot?

Not all LEO's are of this opinion as not all of us are super safe and have had extensive training. But for some of the LEO's that I have talked to,to make us into some kind of joke really chaps my a$$. There,done,now I feel "mo bedda".---------

Assistant Administrator
    It's true and varies according to area, that there are some LE folks who cringe when thinking of us CCW's - it does seem to get worse higher up the chain. I guess these questions are fairly typical but all easily answered IMO. We should tho too recognize all the cops out there who are very much in favor of what we do as well.
    I have had them say,"why do you think you need that"?
    To which I would counter with the question - ''Will you be there at the instant I am under threat from being shot by a bad guy?" Unlikely if not impossible.
    Do you know the laws?
    Most CCW folks pay great attention to the laws - we are after all the good guys tho sometimes it's hard to believe.
    Are you safe?
    Training costs for many - range practice - all make for the average CCW being at a higher level of competence than some LE people.
    And this is the good one. "Who ya gonna shoot?
    Hah - easy answer - only any bad guy who chooses to threaten my life or that of my loved ones.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Here in Colorado anyone can keep a loaded firearm anywhere in a car. The local cops arent crazy about it, but they deal with it professionally. If you get pulled over, just keep your hands on the wheel and inform the officer, and you dont get hassled.

I guess the VA cops arent as professional.
    Driver carries less then $20 of remorse.

Gentleman, you are mistaking administration (politicians) with rank and file/street cops. I have worked in this business since 1982 and can count the number of street cops on one hand (in my area) that have a problem with citizens protecting themselves with firearms.

The LOBBIEST that are invited to speak because they are of the same opinion as the Gov are generally not street cops. The majority of us (in my area) are prior service, conservative, sportsman that would rather arrive on scene to find you (the good citizen) standing over the BG because you where able to protect yourself.

I don't want to start a flame war, but the reason our new Gov was elected is because of the disproportionate number of people/population in NOVA (Northern Virginia) are not your bread-and-butter Virginians with very liberal views.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    blacksan, with respect I say....the Leo's that I have talked to, usually on a daily basis are "rank and file/street cops".You think that I go downtown to city hall and sit down with the chiefs and Lt.'s. These are the LEO's that I see at the rifle and pistol club that I belong to,and at the gunshops that I frequent,and at the 10 or 11 gun shows that I attend every year.

I respect what these citizens do for their community. How they put their life on the line everyday. I just feel that it's about time that they show us some of that same respect. I can't speak for the other people here but I know for a fact that if I saw a LEO in trouble,I would come to his aid in an instant.I would use my mindset,my training,and my firepower to help the officer that just this morning asked me,"why do you think that you need that"??? ---------

RSSZ

I am truly disenchanted to know that a brother officer would make such a statement to you. In VA it is actually a criminal offense to refuse an officers request for assistance. I have been in the position to ask for assistance in an arrest and gladly accepted the same.

I personally lobby on the issue of self protection/right to bear arms every chance I get, and will continue to do so. The fact that FL along with many other states do in fact freely issue concealed weapons permits would testify to many others in the legislature that agree with you and I on this issue. Not that it makes the issue any better, but an officers opinion is just that (an opinion) and not the law.

Be safe,
    Adrian AKA blacksan

Quote Originally Posted by blacksan
    Gentleman, you are mistaking administration (politicians) with rank and file/street cops. I have worked in this business since 1982 and can count the number of street cops on one hand (in my area) that have a problem with citizens protecting themselves with firearms...
    I did distinguish between rank-and-file and leadership. Many in LE administration have risen through the ranks, so they were once street cops. I suppose they have to become politicians the higher they go, but if they are products of the rank-and-file, I find it hard to trust that the rank-and-file is that supportive. It is encouraging that officers in your area are basically supportive. I wish it were so around Richmond.
    - Tom

My father has called me a liberal on one or two occasions before he passed away, although I see my self as a conservative and vote republican.
    At first I did not see a big problem having to wait three days for a background check. He told me while most of the people that submit to a background check are mostly law abiding citizens, BGs don't wait for such things and get guns or have them anyway. I saw he's point.

I did not vote for Governor Kaine nor do I support his administration. However there are some stupid people in Virginia as anywhere else. And I really don't want some redneck know it all that thinks just because he's from the south he knows how to handle a firearm reaching into a glove box and pulling out a 45. and shooting his wife or one of his children in the passenger seat by accident.
    So I am inclined to agree with the Governor on this one and believe that if you want to carry a firearm that you must at least go through the concealed weapon tranning or some training that shows you're competent to carry a weapon.
    I had to.
    Is this thinking like a liberal?
    Is this wrong to think like this and be extremely supportive of the second amendment?
    Let me know.
    Thanks.
    THE MOST DANGEROUS PLACE IN THE WORLD IS BETWEEN A MOTHER AND HER CHILDREN.
    -Lady Liberty-
    United Stats Army,(Ret)

Kimo,

I feel that the portion of your post listed below points the finger of guilt by association per say. Having a gun does not make a person pron to violence,criminal acts, or stupidty. For many of us the responsibility of owning a gun was pounded in to our heads at a very early age. That redneck (like I grew up with) most likely grew up with weapons his entire life and also served in the military. I will never forget the memory of my long passed grandfather coming home from church and placing his bible and holstered single action Colt Army on top of it next to the front door before unlocking it.

"And I really don't wont some redneck know it all that thinks just because he's from the south he knows how to handle a firearm reaching into a glove box and pulling out a 45. and shooting he's wife are one of he's children in the passenger set by accident."

As to conservative views there was no mention of political party, as a matter of fact the "ol timey" Southern Democrat was more conservative then most Republicans I ever meet.

Senior Moderator
    And I really don't wont some redneck know it all that thinks just because he's from the south he knows how to handle a firearm reaching into a glove box and pulling out a 45. and shooting he's wife are one of he's children in the passenger set by accident.
    Show me a case of that happening. Hard evidence.

Its rhetoric. Pure and simple. You want to limit me here in Virginia because some redneck from the south that thinks he knows it all might screw up. Thats pretty liberal thinking allright.

So I am inclined to agree with the Governor on this one and believe that if you wont to carry a firearm that you must at least go threw the concealed weapon tranning or some tranning that sows you competent to carry a weapon.
    So, if Hillary Clinton flees New York and becomes the next governor of Virginia, you asre saying that its OK for her to set the standards. IF she being antigun, decided to make it mandantory to attend one years worth of training to carry a concealed weapon, then its OK with you right ?

Is this thinking like a liberal?
    It would seem so to me...

Is this wrong to think like this and be extremely supportive are second amendment.
    Let me know.
    The second amendment says that the right to bear arms SHALL not be infringed, yet, you want the govenor to infringe upon my right to carry by saying that I must undergo "training" however ridiculous it may be.

You say that you are supportive of the second amendment but havent really given it much thought or study have you ?

The govenor fails to take into account that many states already have provision for a citizen to carry a gun in their car with out a permit, yet there have been very few infractions.

Anytime that you agree with any infringment upon the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, then you are destroying the very freedom you are trying to save.

Wayne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links