Standing Armies and the Second Amendment - Page 6

Standing Armies and the Second Amendment

This is a discussion on Standing Armies and the Second Amendment within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The military could certainly stand to be reduced, but I believe completely disbanding it is the wrong move. If liberty is the concern, your primary ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Standing Armies and the Second Amendment

JD
    Administrator
    The military could certainly stand to be reduced, but I believe completely disbanding it is the wrong move. If liberty is the concern, your primary focus should be on the elected officials.

In a nut shell, there it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    The military could certainly stand to be reduced, but I believe completely disbanding it is the wrong move. If liberty is the concern, your primary focus should be on the elected officials.
    I would support reducing it. On that we can agree.

As for elected officials, they could use some lessons in the Constitution.
    Springfield XD45 4" 13+1

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    This would be great if it worked very well. Many people went to the polls last November and, in fact, duly elected someone who promised to end the current war (I did not vote for him). Now he as reneged on that promise so far as to order an escalation. Politicians are, in the overwhelming majority of cases, liars who cannot be trusted to do what they say they will. Additionally, the companies that receive the billions of dollars we spend on arms certainly contribute to political campaigns. Read into that whatever you will. Politics is about power and money. War gives some people both.

I wholeheartedly agree that the military could stand to be reduced. A reduction by 80% or more would still give us plenty of resources to defend US soil, which is less than 10% of the earth's total land mass.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

VIP Member
    Nova, YOU could use some lessons on the Constitution, if this laughable misinterpretation is any indicator. Have you at least given up your original thesis, that the army is unconstitutional? Are we now on to the "ooh, they have guns, they're skeeery!" portion of the screed?

And I actually laughed out loud when you said the military has done nothing to protect you over the course of its existence (and is doing nothing now)...that is so over-the-top insane that it warrants no response.

The military is a tool, much like a firearm. It can be used for good (and has, overwhelmingly, in our history) or evil, much like a firearm. It has saved many more American lives than it has taken, even more (and MUCH more so) than the privately owned firearm. I wish that there was some way that you COULD be removed from the protections that our military has, is, and will afford you, including your right to say all the ridiculous things that you have said in this thread. Until then, I say again: find a new paranoia, as this one isn't even entertaining in its stupidity.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

In all reality there are other more insidious agencies that are posed against the 2nd Amendment than our military. The military is comprised of regular people from all walks of life, some good and some bad. But it is kind of irrational, I believe, that just because the executive ordered them to war against their own, they would do it. There would be a split at least down the middle, between those who would just follow orders and those who will be true to the oath that they took to uphold the constitution. In the last 100 years, how many times has our standing army taken a position to destroy the 2A? I can think of times in the past where gangs masquerading as militia have, in fact, disarmed citizens and committed every godless act imaginable against innocent citizens.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

JD
    Administrator
    I think it's time for this one to end...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Sponsored Links