"Guns don't kill people, ammo does."

This is a discussion on "Guns don't kill people, ammo does." within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I cannot believe the IDIOCY that spews forth from Kaliforniastan!!! Ammunition for gun rights?: Question of the week - LA Daily News Last week, Gov. ...

Thread: "Guns don't kill people, ammo does."

I cannot believe the IDIOCY that spews forth from Kaliforniastan!!!

Ammunition for gun rights?: Question of the week - LA Daily News

Last week, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed a controversial new law that tightens restrictions on the sales of handgun ammunition.

The law requires gun dealers to record and keep the drivers license number and thumbprint of those who buy handgun ammunition. It prohibits direct sales of ammunition to Californians who order by mail or Internet and makes it illegal to sell handgun ammunition to anyone prohibited from owning a gun.

It also makes it illegal for anyone subject to a gang injunction to own handgun ammunition.

Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland and Sacramento already have similar measures on the books, but determined buyers could amble outside the cities' jurisdiction and make their purchases.

The mantra from law enforcement now is "Guns don't kill people, ammo does."

Gun owners and lobbyists say this will do nothing but create paperwork.

What do you think? Is more and more restrictions and barriers on guns and ammunition keeping you safer? Is there a limit to how much regulation is good, or have we already passed that point?

Weigh in on this controversial topic.

Send your responses to opinionated@dailynews.com. Please include your full name, the community or city you live in, and a daytime phone number. We'll print as many responses as we can in Sunday's Opinionated section.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Ammo doesn't kill people, kinetic energy does. Ban motion.

-john

VIP Member
    I bet there is going a lot more traffic across the California and Nevada and Arizona borders, wonder if California will be checking for ammo smugglers next.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    Ammo doesn't kill people, kinetic energy does. Ban motion.

-john
    Actually, hemorrhaging kills people, not kinetic energy.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    California can't afford to keep existing criminals in jail and the state wants to spend more resources to lord over ammo sales shelves managers and consumers to create more criminals
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Guns and ammo kill people, like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Anyone want to start an ammo store with me situated on the Nevada/Kalifornia border? Me thinks that it would do well...if we could get ammo that is.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Unfortunately CA has been the starting point of a disturbing amount of new national laws and standards.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Unfortunately CA has been the starting point of a disturbing amount of new national laws and standards.
    Yup, watch what happens in CA, cause it may be coming soon to a state near you.

Ammo was just barely starting to come back on the shelves. Forget about finding any in CA between now and when this goes into effect.

After that, forget about finding any ammo in NV, AZ, OR.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

I strongly disagree with this law. It makes ammo purchases more difficult for law-abiding gun owners, and certainly does create a vast amount of paperwork and bureaucracy that in reality does little to prevent crime; it just fills up file cabinets.

It's another example of political posturing. Again, the politicians are pretending to do something about crime, by enacting politically convenient gun control, rather than actually doing what is necessary, which might not be politically convenient.
    9mm Walther P5 Compact

.380 and .32 Interarms Walther PPK/S

.380 and .32 Interarms Walther PPK

If I understand this correctly, the criminals who already have illegal guns, now cannot legally buy ammo?
    I guess those criminals will now have to steal ammo when they steal the guns...wait a minute, they already do that...so this will only effect the honest citizen?
    What a brilliant move...what a bunch of legislative 'maroooons'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ammo Sales

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I bet there is going a lot more traffic across the California and Nevada and Arizona borders, wonder if California will be checking for ammo smugglers next.
    I posted a reply to this in another thread. The only thing this law will do is make ANYONE seeking ammo travel to the neighboring states of Kalifornia (OR/NV/AZ). This will only make the ammo shortage that much more acute! What was the "Guv" thinking when he signed this bill into law?

The only good that will come of this law is that it will benefit the economies of the neighboring states when it comes to ammunition sales. I'm not looking forward to seeing more empty ammo shelves here in Vegas!

Thanks Arnold!!!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    I was watching Oakland gang wars last night on discovery. I've been to Oakland a few times. It's a scary place. If politicians really cared about people, they would provide firearms and firearm training because that's the only thing that is going to stop what is going on over there.

It's like an oil well fire... the only way to put it out is with dynamite!
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    After a while of trying to manipulate the statistics, crime will escalate rather than contract. Watch for Kalifornia lawmakers go after the hardware (again). Back in the day, alcohol was deemed to be the root of bad human behavior. That didn't work and this won't either. It amazes me the level of stupidity and ignorance demonstrated by our elected officials. The BG's will have free reign to do what they want (still) and the honest citizens will go to jail for defending themselves with "illegal ammunition." Freaking idiots..............
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Sponsored Links