My trip yesterday to the local VA hospital

This is a discussion on My trip yesterday to the local VA hospital within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am a pastor, which means hospital trips to visit people who are sick and injured. It's actually a cool part of the job because ...

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar

I am a pastor, which means hospital trips to visit people who are sick and injured. It's actually a cool part of the job because people are always appreciative of a visit from their pastor.

Anyhoo...this one was to the Carl T. Hayden Medical Center in Phoenix. It's not in the nicest part of town (7th Street and Indian School for those in the area). As I pulled in to the parking lot I noticed a BIG sign with what appeared to be a no firearms posting. So I stopped and read it.

It's a federal facility, so under 18 USC 930a bringing a firearm onto the premises is a federal misdemeanor. I stowed the firearm in the console and headed inside to do my visit. Right inside the door was ANOTHER sign and an explicit mention that a CCW does not provide the right to carry.

My question is about their not having a facility to check firearms. I see in ARS 13-3102.M.1 that the law concerning provision of a firearms check is specifically applicable to the state or any political subdivision of the state. So the federal government is not required to provide that. However, this is a sketchy neighborhood and I felt really uncomfortable leaving a gun in the car. That's doubly true because the place has big "no firearms" posting at the gate!

So do you fine folks think it is even worth my time to draft a letter, or am I wasting paper? Will the nameless, faceless federal government even care what I think? I'm a disabled vet, so I am in there on occasion.

Thanks for the advice!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

They probably see even having it in the parking lot is a violation ...

Nick
    Retired FBOP
    NRA Life member

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    As far as checking your gun at the gate, lost cause. You're dealing with not only feds, but doctors. Not exactly the most gun friendly folks.

As for the no guns policy, this is a matter of federal law. The person to write is your congressman.

It probably won't do any good, but I wish you would. As someone who works in a federal facility with no real security, I have some feelings about this.

Nick is right, I would avoid the parking lot as well.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

+1 on that! All federal facilities are "off limits"........ While I feel for you, as I am a Vet as well, I'm not sure we'll really have much chance at getting the Fed. Gov. to reverse the "no guns" policy...... :(
    took forever to get to carry in a national forest.........
    Just park off site..... an sucky as that my be.........
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

Be aware that; there have been several incidents I can recall where just walking with a CCW on the public sidewalk on the "Federal enclave" side of the street has been seen as bringing a firearm onto federal property. (St louis arch?)

Remember, "property" usually extends to the middle of the street and the street is an easement through said property. That being the case, just driving onto their parking lot with a weapon in the car violates the law. (as does driving down the street but no one tries to enforce that scenario)

I would either avoid going there or not take a weapon when you do make your visits.

Just call the the DVA police at the hospital and ask to store your firearm there while you visit, thats what I do when I go see the Docs at my VA Hospital.
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    Just call the the DVA police at the hospital and ask to store your firearm there while you visit, thats what I do when I go see the Docs at my VA Hospital.
    I did not know they would do that!! Thanks!
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

A V.A. hospital had a shooting not to long ago. A high precentage of the folks using the V.A. hospitals are not military retirees or veterans that completed thier military obligation.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Links