"No Guns"- sign an insult...What if it said "No Jews"?

This is a discussion on "No Guns"- sign an insult...What if it said "No Jews"? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Interesting take on "No Guns' signs: The 'No Guns' Sign Insult - What if the Signs Read No Jews? The No Guns Sign Insult – ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

Interesting take on "No Guns' signs:

The 'No Guns' Sign Insult - What if the Signs Read No Jews?

The No Guns Sign Insult – What if the Signs Read No Jews?
    This is just another form of discrimination but against gun owners of all races.

By Jeff Knox

Manassas, VA --(AmmoLand.com)- How does it make you feel when you start to walk into a business and see a “No Guns” sign prominently posted? Are you angry? Offended? Indifferent?

How do you react? Do you just turn around and take your business elsewhere? Complain to the management? Just ignore it and go on with your business?

The members of the Virginia Citizens Defense League take “No Guns” signs as personally offensive and they let their offense be known – to the business, to fellow VCDL members, and anyone else who’ll listen – or read a web page.

VCDL maintains a list of anti-rights Virginia businesses on their web site, Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL), and encourages gun owners and rights supporters to avoid these businesses except to let them know that their policy is offensive. VCDL has actively pursued this position for several years while they have simultaneously grown to become the most politically active and effective rights organization in the state.

So when the 7th District Republican Committee decided to hold a major fundraising rally in a location which is prominently posted “No Guns,” VCDL let the Republicans know they weren’t happy. When the Republicans held the annual event in the same anti-rights location every year for the next several years, disregarding VCDL’s repeated objections, many at VCDL began taking the Republicans’ choice as an insult. When the Republicans refused to change venues – even though VCDL offered to help sponsor the event at a different location – VCDL got mad.

On October 17th about 250 VCDL protesters gathered in a shopping mall near the Innsbrook Pavilion, the private, anti-rights event center where the annual Republican Roundup was being staged. The well organized protest included a moon-bounce and other distractions set up for the kids, an airplane towing a “Guns Save Lives” banner, and even a hot air balloon proclaiming the same message. Local shops, restaurants, and hotels welcomed the protesters – who were mostly openly carrying sidearms – and even offered special discounts. A good and safe time was had by all.

The Chairman of the 7th District Republican Committee has previously told people who complained to him about his choice to use the anti-rights facilities that while he and the Republican Party strongly support the Second Amendment, price and convenience trumps principles. And he’s sticking to his No Guns. Even as there were almost as many people outside protesting as there were inside rallying, the chairman announced that the event would again be held in the same location next year. The level of base callousness and simple stupidity is just staggering.

This up-scuttle echoes a larger issue of misunderstanding between the activist, rights community and the general public – sadly often including many gun owners. When a business posts a “No Guns” policy they are making a political statement whether that is their intent or not. They are also denigrating and insulting lawful gun owners – particularly those who choose to carry. A “No Guns” sign serves no useful purpose beyond these insults and political posturing because the only people to whom such signs apply are the most conscientious and responsible gun owners. Criminals and the irresponsible simply ignore the signs and do exactly what they would have done without the signs, except with perhaps a greater sense of security knowing that conscientious, law-abiding gun owners have disarmed or gone somewhere else.

Gun owners and rights supporters who are not angered and offended by these “We Don’t Want Your Kind” signs posted on businesses they frequent are being as thoughtless and insensitive as the businesses themselves. These “No Guns” signs should elicit the same reaction from gun owners and our friends that “Whites Only” signs did among blacks and civil rights supporters in the 1960’s. They are a personal insult and an assault on our liberty and anyone who can’t see that is simply choosing not to. That appears to be the case with the leadership of Virginia’s 7th District Republicans. One must wonder whether they would continue using the same facilities if the sign on the door read “No Jews” rather than “No Guns.”

Posting a “No Guns” sign is not a business decision about patron safety nor is disarming just a minor inconvenience. Such signs are a political statement and an insult and they should never go unanswered. The Firearms Coalition offers Merchant Education Cards which make it easy to let businesses know why they’re losing our business. They are available at The Firearms Coalition.

Neal Knox Associates – The most trusted name in the rights movement.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Sorry but IMO they're really stretching to reach this point.

It's the same as "no shirt, no shoes, no service" signs. What? Are those stores discriminating against the poor?

I would take my business elsewhere. I would make sure the owner or corporation know why they lost my business. They probably wouldn't care. If they lost enough business and went bankrupt I wouldn't care.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Unless they got a tax payer bail out.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Exclamation

I hate "No Guns" signs as much as any one else on this forum;however equating them to "No Jews" or "No Blacks" signs is excessive.
    No Guns signs are usually due to ignorance,the other signs are a result of bigotry and hatred.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    I hate "No Guns" signs as much as any one else on this forum;however equating them to "No Jews" or "No Blacks" signs is excessive.
    No Guns signs are usually due to ignorance,the other signs are a result of bigotry and hatred.
    Ignorance or political views.

Well said.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I'm with Jeff Knox on this issue.

Bigotry against whites, males, "rednecks", conservatives, Christians, and GUN-OWNERS is widespread.

It is up to US, as to whether we accept being stigmatized, vilified, and insulted.

It will go on as long as we slink about in silence, and ACT like we are a detestable minority.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    News flash, bigotry and hatred = ignorance. While this may be a little stretch there is a correlation. It seems that some types of bigotry and discrimination are more tolerable than others to some people but that doesn't mean it does not exist.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    The Chairman of the 7th District Republican Committee has previously told people who complained to him about his choice to use the anti-rights facilities that while he and the Republican Party strongly support the Second Amendment, price and convenience trumps principles. And he’s sticking to his No Guns.
    Wow, that's an extremely unfortunate quote.

Especially for a group that is trying to gain or regain public office!

Call me crazy, but I'd kind of like my elected officials to believe that PRINCIPLE trumps price and convenience. Go VCDL!
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

If you wore a vulgar T-Shirt into a store, and they asked you to leave, are they violating your 1st Amendment rights? No, not in my opinion. If you wore a pistol into a store, and they asked you to leave, are they violating your 2nd Amandment rights? I'd say no again. The sign is just a pre-ask to leave.

If you are on my property, and I do not like what you wear or how you act, I have the right to ask you to leave. Nobody here would argue that's not my right. Why would a business not have the same right. It's private property, not public land. Being an owner of guns (or any other particular property) is not a protected status, like race or gender. In my opinion, it's not remotely the same.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    The country is full of stupid people - especially politicians. A No-Guns sign means just that and also means "Take your business elsewhere".
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Alte View Post
    The country is full of stupid people - especially politicians. A No-Guns sign means just that and also means "Take your business elsewhere".
    Yup.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    Interesting take on "No Guns' signs:

The 'No Guns' Sign Insult - What if the Signs Read No Jews?
    That's about one of the longest stretches I think I've ever seen. That rubber band is about to snap!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I really detest the No Guns signs. So far I've gotten 6 stores to take them down and one that just flat would not. I told that store owner that if anything happened to my wife or kids in there I would sue her for every dime I could get. She knows that I wasn't kidding and darn sure would. Her sign is still up. My family does its best to do no more business there than absolutely necessary. Sometimes that's hard to do when the nearest store with like items is a 60 mile round trip away. One of the prices you pay to live way out in the toolies.

As a Jewish gun owner and firearm enthusiast, I feel also that this is not a fair comparison, and is pushing the boundry. As mentioned earlier, there is a difference between bigotry and ignorance of the law.

While I would not give anyone my business with such a "No Guns" sign, a posting of such hatred, whether religious, racial or otherwise is intolerable in our society.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links