VA RKBA Election analysis
From a VA-ALERT.
VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
[First person pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL]
The three statewide candidates who turned in their VCDL surveys just won a crushing blow against their opponents, putting gun owners in a strong position to get some work done in 2010! Bob McDonnell, Bill Bolling, and Ken Cuccinelli won their races handily and VCDL congratulates them!
Have a pro-gun Governor will be a tremendous boost, especially after the last 4 years in the desert. ;-)
By my count the Republicans now have 60 seats, the Democrats have 38, and independents have 2. Those numbers don't necessarily mean much, as some Republicans are anti-gun and some Democrats are pro-gun.
Overall, I would say that the General Assembly is now slightly more pro-gun than it was on November 2nd.
A look at some key House races:
* Pro-gun Tag Greason (100% on VCDL survey) defeated anti-gun incumbent Dave Poisson - this is a huge change of position for District 32.
* Pro-gun Richard L. Anderson (94% on VCDL survey) defeated anti-gun incumbent Paul F. Nichols - a major change of position for District 51
* Pro-gun Bill Cleaveland (94% on VCDL survey) won District 17, pro- gun William Frahlin's old district - a wash, but this win avoided the district falling into less friendly hands.
* Pro-gun Catherine Crabill, who the Republican leadership ran away from after she quoted the ideals of the Founding Fathers about the Second Amendment, LOST, but only by about 3%. That's pretty good for being abandoned by your own party.
* Anti-gun incumbent Chuck Caputo of District 67 lost to Jim LeMunyon, who looks to be another Republican In Name Only (RINO) based on a mostly anti-gun survey he returned to the anti-gunners. He did not return his VCDL survey. So this district looks like a wash, or maybe just a little better. A bad Democrat loses to an almost as bad Republican.
* Anti-gun incumbent Margaret Vanderhey of District 34 lost to Barbara J. Comstock. Neither VCDL nor the antis got a survey from Ms. Comstock, so I can't determine if this is an improvement or a wash at this time.
* Anti-gun incumbent Bobby Mathieson of District 21 lost to Ron A Villanueva. Neither VCDL nor the antis got a survey from Mr. Villanueva, so I can't determine if this is an improvement or a wash
at this time.
* Pro-gun Jeff Fredericks''s old district, 52, went to anti-gun Luke E. Torian by a mere 600 votes over pro-gun Rafael Lopez. Turnout, turnout, turnout!
A big Lobby Day turnout on January 18th is needed - please mark your calendars to be there.