Katrina victims finally get CONFISCATED guns back

This is a discussion on Katrina victims finally get CONFISCATED guns back within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just because you have a legally owned firearm in an emergency situation doesn't mean that the GOVT. can't take it away and trample on your ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Katrina victims finally get CONFISCATED guns back

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar

Katrina victims finally get CONFISCATED guns back

Just because you have a legally owned firearm in an emergency situation doesn't mean that the GOVT. can't take it away and trample on your civil rights.

Straight from Yahoo news:

New Orleans Police to Return Seized Guns
    By MARY FOSTER, Associated Press Writer Wed Apr 19, 9:23 PM ET

NEW ORLEANS - Under pressure from the National Rifle Association, police this week began returning guns confiscated after Hurricane Katrina.

The police department is making the guns available three days a week. At the close of the second day Wednesday, police said only 17 of about 700 weapons had been returned.

Police and soldiers removed guns from houses after the storm flooded the city, and they confiscated guns from some evacuees.

The NRA and other groups sued the city, saying it took away people's means of protection amid the lawlessness that gripped New Orleans.

"Natural disasters may destroy great cities, but they do not destroy civil rights," said Alan Gottlieb, founder of the Second Amendment Foundation, which joined the NRA in the lawsuit.

The lawsuit was dropped after the city agreed to return the guns.

Some owners complained it was difficult to get them back. Gun owners must bring a bill of sale or an affidavit with the weapon's serial number. Police also are running criminal background checks on those claiming weapons.

Some gun owners found the weapons were evidence in a crime and not eligible for release. Others did not have the proper paperwork.

Percy Taplet, 73, said the National Guard and state police confiscated his shotgun when they arrived to tell him to leave his house. When he tried to get his gun back this week, police told him he would have to contact state police.

"I won't ever see that gun again, believe me," Taplet said. "It's gone like everything else in that storm."

Police Superintendent Warren Riley said police had legitimate reasons for confiscating weapons.

"We took guns that were stolen that were stashed in alleyways. If we went into an abandoned house and a gun was there, absolutely we took the weapons," he said. "Obviously there were looters out there. We didn't want some burglar or looter to have an opportunity to arm themselves."

O.K. it makes sense to take them from alleyways, but from evacuees?
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
    New Orleans Police to Return Seized Guns
    By MARY FOSTER, Associated Press Writer Wed Apr 19, 9:23 PM ET

NEW ORLEANS - Under pressure from the National Rifle Association, police this week began returning guns confiscated after Hurricane Katrina.

Some owners complained it was difficult to get them back. Gun owners must bring a bill of sale or an affidavit with the weapon's serial number. Police also are running criminal background checks on those claiming weapons.
    So, these AHs figured out a way to keep people from getting their guns back.

Most of these people lost their house and everything else...... You know they have their bill of sale handy! What a crock!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Assistant Administrator
    Still pretty much a lose-lose situation. As Rick says - how many folks have all their paperwork now!

Maybe we should all have some distinguishing mark on each gun - so at least by description we could make a valid claim in such circumstances. Sure ain't gonna memorize every serial #.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

The whole New Orleans situation has been shameful. Government overreaching is one reason why the founding fathers wrote the 2nd Amendment into the Bill of Rights.

Let's hope the situation activates the call from citizens to hold the mayor and other responsible parties accountable come next election.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Gun control is a job-safety program for criminals."
    John R. Lott

VIP Member
    Poor folks get victimized by the storm....then by the gov't....and finally (again) by the gov't.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Proper procedure on the police departments part should lead to evidence lists as well as incident reports on every single confiscation. It "shouldn't" be hard to track down the "official" paper work - that being the paper work from the police describing when the gun was illegally taken from the owner. Of course this depends on them not being negligent in documenting all that in the first place.
    Live Free or Die

VIP Member
    If we went into an abandoned house and a gun was there, absolutely we took the weapons,"
    Lemme see if I get this right. They forced people out of the house. Now the house is "abandoned" so they can pretty much ignore the Bill of Rights and do as they please?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Each and every citizen who had a gun stolen from them by the local government or their representatives, should file a lawsuit against them.

Any citizen who's firearm was returned to them in any condition less than it was before it was taken, should also file a lawsuit.

In fact, I'd like to see the affect people FLOOD the system with lawsuits! Give those currently "under-employed" shysters something constructive to do! Let one of them see just how many different grounds they can find to bring suits and hopefully criminal charges against the officials involved.

Under these circumstances, I could even get to like lawyers!

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

VIP Member
    ....I agree with MM.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    they going to have to submit to background checks too?
    I'm waiting for the first gun to be returned.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

VIP Member
    I believe today is the mayoral election in NOLA....I hope Nagin gets his rear handed to him.

Hate to say it, but I think that idiot will get re-elected. The politics in that state, especially in the New Orleans area, are as twisted as the worst cartoon makes it out to be.

mm

Administrator
    The folks that DO get their firearms returned...I just wonder what condition they are in now?????
    Probably originally confiscated and tossed soaking wet into the back of a truck. I sure that they are rusted pieces of junk by now anyway. That is truly sad.
    AND...how many people that were totally flooded out (and lost EVERYTHING) are still going to have paper receipts and serial #s available?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I have to ask, how come nobody shot a National Gaurd solder or any other person while confiscation was going on? I know it sounds funny to ask this, but I get this funny feeling in the pit of my stomach, that I would not give mine up, although I didn't go through it, I just have this feeling. And what if a disastor happened in a State that had a lot of realy pro gunners there...how many of you would give your up?
    Especially now that we have seen what they will do.

This all bothers me, I got a bad feeling when I heard this was happening, and started asking myself would I draw down on my own troops to keep the only thing I had left, my guns.

I'm thinking this could get ugly. . .

Can't say exactly how I would react. One part of me says "never give them up," another part of me says I cannot fire upon an LEO, or a member of the National Guard.

May well be these guys are home-town people. I know, I've been one. I can tell you right now, they in no way, shape or form, relish being at odds with their own countrymen. More than likely, they will follow orders.

Best bet, if you think they are coming, hide the good stuff, keep some "throw-down" pieces to "surrender."

Fire on them, and they will "pry it from your cold, dead fingers."

Wanna' be a dead "hero?"

mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links