Barr: "Perfect Storm" For UN Gun Control Agenda

This is a discussion on Barr: "Perfect Storm" For UN Gun Control Agenda within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; From Barr: "Perfect Storm" For UN Gun Control Agenda | Outdoor Life October 30, 2009 Barr: "Perfect Storm" For UN Gun Control Agenda - 8 ...

Thread: Barr: "Perfect Storm" For UN Gun Control Agenda

From Barr: "Perfect Storm" For UN Gun Control Agenda | Outdoor Life

October 30, 2009
    Barr: "Perfect Storm" For UN Gun Control Agenda - 8
    by John Haughey

Former Georgia Congressman Bob Barr in an Oct. 26 blog-column in the Atlanta Journal Constitution warns that global anti-gun zealots are "on ethe brink of success."

"The folks at United Nations headquarters in New York City, and our 'allies' at Number 10 Downing Street in London, must be rubbing their hands with glee. Gun control groups here and abroad likewise are at last quietly cheering. Why?" he writes. "After a decade and a half of pushing unsuccessfully to secure America’s support for a legally-binding, international instrument to regulate the marketing, transfer and brokering in firearms, they are now on the brink of success. The process of formally negotiating an Arms Trade Treaty ("ATT") now has Washington’s seal of approval; announced October 14th by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton."

What would this for American gun owners, Barr asks?

" ... for Second Amendment purposes, a legally-binding instrument purporting to regulate illicit international transfers of firearms, would necessarily touch domestic activities. For example, in order to know and regulate international transfers, the UN folks would have to know what firearms were being manufactured, stocked, and purported to be transferred within each country," he writes.

For more, go to: ?Perfect Storm? For UN Gun Control Agenda | The Barr Code

Also:

-- Barr-calls-UN-gun-treaty-perfect-storm?; Barr calls UN gun treaty 'perfect storm'

-- Gunfights then and now on significant anniversary; Gunfights then and now on significant anniversary
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Interested to know... just how does this affect us?

We used to make all of our own firearms and who cared about the worlds firearms. Are we just going to have to start making our own firearms again? I do not see where this disarms us although it is definitely going to do something of the nature in the long run but this is cloudy to me at this time.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Oh I misread that they will NEED TO KNOW IN EACH country. My question is this: Who the heck gives a crap and should have the right to know what we do on our own soil with OUR property? Why do these politicians have to get on two knees fo the UN? What the hell is the gain?
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Senior Moderator
    The United States of America is like no other country in the world when it comes to owning firearms.

In most states, full autos, silencers,destructive weapons are legal to own. There is no restriction on the number owned, no national registration, and one can own enough ammo to equip a third world army if they choose.

Since the United Nations is predominately Anti American, you had better believe that it chaps them severely to know that the average gun owning American don't gives a rats tail about what they think.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's not about guns...its about Freedom.

The one Freedom that worries them the most is the freedom to resist and we are about the only country in the world left that still has that capability if push came to shove.

Its only natural that they focus their attention on us, because WE are just about the only threat to them that exists....other than Israel which has her hands full just trying to survive and we see how they treat the Israelis.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member

UN??? Thugs incorporated!

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The United States of America is like no other country in the world when it comes to owning firearms.
    (deleted stuff)

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's not about guns...its about Freedom.

The one Freedom that worries them the most is the freedom to resist and we are about the only country in the world left that still has that capability if push came to shove.

Its only natural that they focus their attention on us, because WE are just about the only threat to them that exists....other than Israel which has her hands full just trying to survive and we see how they treat the Israelis.
    Not so sure I agree with some of your specific analysis or even the basic concern, but the fact remains that most of the UN is comprised of an assortment of failed states, semi-failed states, states run by thugs, states run by thieves, and states run by Kings and "Presidents for Life."

Outside of the English speaking democracies (Count on one hand--UK, Canada, Austalia, New Zealand, and USA) there are really only a handful or two of places with legitimate democratic governments.

These were created post WWII by our force and our generosity. E.g., Modern Japan, South Korea, Modern Western EU nations. The rest of the world isn't on Board for either democracy or freedom.

We need to use them (UN) when they are able to be helpful and utterly ignore them a good deal of the time.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Not so sure I agree with some of your specific analysis or even the basic concern, but the fact remains that most of the UN is comprised of an assortment of failed states, semi-failed states, states run by thugs, states run by thieves, and states run by Kings and "Presidents for Life."

Outside of the English speaking democracies (Count on one hand--UK, Canada, Austalia, New Zealand, and USA) there are really only a handful or two of places with legitimate democratic governments.

These were created post WWII by our force and our generosity. E.g., Modern Japan, South Korea, Modern Western EU nations. The rest of the world isn't on Board for either democracy or freedom.

We need to use them (UN) when they are able to be helpful and utterly ignore them a good deal of the time.
    Wow!! I actually agree with Hopyard!! At least the latter part!! Let me get my breath!!
    Gotta have a little fun.Not much to laugh about the last couple of days in the news!!
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Our "generosity" in Eastern Europe and most of Asia post WWII also guaranteed conflict would remain for generations, just as it did post WWI. But I digress.

I think this is a [more than] slightly overblown issue. Hillary Clinton might put her stamp of approval on a UN policy, but that means nothing in the United States except that our Sec. of State likes the idea. There is no legal power associated with her approval, nor any obligation for Congress to sign on. We'd do well to keep this in mind.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

international treaties, DO NOT OVER-RIDE the Constitution..... I think this would be highly contested, make to the Supreme Court, and be killed with one shot.

But, it does say how far they are willing to go, that the backdoor needs to be guarded, and we must never get lazy about standing up for our rights.

BAC
    I don't think it'll ever see the Supreme Court. I don't think Congress will ratify it.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I don't think it'll ever see the Supreme Court. I don't think Congress will ratify it.
    -B
    I doubt it... 67 is an awfully big number | Daniel W. Drezner
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

In most states, full autos, silencers,destructive weapons are legal to own. There is no restriction on the number owned, no national registration, and one can own enough ammo to equip a third world army if they choose.

Since the United Nations is predominately Anti American, you had better believe that it chaps them severely to know that the average gun owning American don't gives a rats tail about what they think.

It will be interesting to see how Switzerland reacts to this...
    Apart from the US it is has one of the most armed Civilian
    populations in the world. (see below)

Gun politics in Switzerland: Facts, Discussion Forum, and Encyclopedia Article

Whilst checking my facts I found an interesting PDF which you might find interesting, if I could just upload it!!! 1mb (any suggestions mods??)

Tint Bob (UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Tint Bob View Post
    It will be interesting to see how Switzerland reacts to this...
    Apart from the US it is has one of the most armed Civilian
    populations in the world. (see below)

Gun politics in Switzerland: Facts, Discussion Forum, and Encyclopedia Article

Whilst checking my facts I found an interesting PDF which you might find interesting, if I could just upload it!!! 1mb (any suggestions mods??)

Tint Bob (UK)
    IIRC Switzerland signed this treaty.

Looks like I was incorrect they signed the Schengen treaty which also forced the inclusion of rules and laws in the treaty regarding firearms.
    Last edited by shooterX; November 10th, 2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: additional info

I am not a lawyer, but in school....a long, loooong time ago....I believe that I learned that an international treaty that was ratified by the Senate DOES trump the U.S. Constitution.

Anyone know for sure?

Agreed totally.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

We just need to get out of the UN and get the headquarters off our soil. Send them packing and broke and put the new headquarters on the neutral South Pole.

Sponsored Links