Why you might need a gun in the woods

This is a discussion on Why you might need a gun in the woods within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Now had this 14yo been hiking unarmed in a "park".... FWP officials rule cougar shooting justified | greatfallstribune.com | Great Falls Tribune (BUTTE AP) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why you might need a gun in the woods

VIP Member

Thumbs up Why you might need a gun in the woods

Now had this 14yo been hiking unarmed in a "park"....

FWP officials rule cougar shooting justified | greatfallstribune.com | Great Falls Tribune

(BUTTE AP) The Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife & Parks determined that the shooting of a cougar by a 14-year-old elk hunter from Anaconda was justified.

Game warden Shane Yaskus said the cougar measured about 7 feet long from nose to tail.

Eric Boyd was waiting at an outcropping last week while his father tried to drive an elk past him that they had been tracking.

Boyd said he heard a twig snap behind him and when he turned he saw the cougar about 25 yards away.

He said the two stared at each other for about 20 seconds before the cat started moving forward, and Boyd fired his rifle, hitting the cougar four times.

Boyd said hes still hunting but that hes not going to hunt by himself for a while.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Scary when you become the hunted instead of the hunter, good response from Boyd.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Yup. When a friend was little he saw a full grown bald eagle up close and personal and came to the sudden realization he was not at the top of the food chain - still swears that eagle was looking at him funny.

I saw a video where somewhere in turkey or some place like that a small deer was taken down by a trained hunting eagle
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Yup. When a friend was little he saw a full grown bald eagle up close and personal and came to the sudden realization he was not at the top of the food chain - still swears that eagle was looking at him funny.
    Unless you're aproaching a nesting area, a Bald Eagle is not going to 'hunt' you, however, a Bald Eagle would have no problem tearing an adult man to shreds. I lived in AK for seven years...one did not want to accidently walk near a nesting area. When Fish & Feathers approached a nesting area, they carried a broom overhead...a target for a diving eagle to hit instead of the human...unless you have your head on a swivel, you won't see or hear it coming.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The kid was lucky not to end up as cat food. A Gun , don't leave home without it !

Always carry. If you don't, everything is left up to chance. You've got to ask yourself.........ya feel lucky?

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I go up hunting quite a bit. Right now I'm turkey hunting at my father in laws in Northern PA. I left the house this morning with my 1911 and my 12 gauge. You can never be too careful in the woods, especially in the early morning hours when it's just barely light out. There have been bobcat sightings, lots of coyotes, badgers, black bear and even a mountain lion was seen once. When I go up on the hill I ALWAYS have at least 2 firearms.

Senior Moderator
    I always carry in the woods.

It aint to figure out the 4 legged critters. Its the 2 legged ones that worry me.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Around here I'm more worried about accidently walking up on a meth lab than I am about any four legged creature. The authorities regularly find remnants of them in secluded areas around here.

There have been several cases of mountain lions stalking people on mountain bikes and either injuring or killing them. The two legged kind are just as dangerous.

No one going out into the Forest should be disarmed. Here in Washington we have Both Black and Grizzely bears, Cougers, Meth labs and Pot growers.
    Some people claim that Bigfoot roams around but here have been no proven cases of anyone being attacked by one.
    We also now have a population of Timber Wolves, though not a large one.
    In some areas one has to worry about Rabid animals as well.

One of the most dangerous animals around is Feral dogs. They have little fear of Man and are prone to attack.

I worry a lot more about the two-legged snakes.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Lead Moderator
    An interesting story to remind us we are not always the top of the food chain!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    An interesting story to remind us we are not always the top of the food chain!
    When in the woods/wilderness I carry at the very least a 'snake-charmer'.

At 14 y.o. ,that youngster did an EXCELLENT job of keeping his head together AND putting rounds ON TARGET in the face of viable threat.

Bravo Zulu!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links