Anti-gun Brady Campaign wants 100 cosponsors by January

This is a discussion on Anti-gun Brady Campaign wants 100 cosponsors by January within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; From VCDL.org newsletter. I have emailed my Congressman, please do the same. 8. Anti-gun Brady Campaign wants 100 cosponsors by January ************************************************** The Brady's want ...

Thread: Anti-gun Brady Campaign wants 100 cosponsors by January

From VCDL.org newsletter. I have emailed my Congressman, please do the same.

8. Anti-gun Brady Campaign wants 100 cosponsors by January

The Brady's want to register the private sales of guns and desperately need some kind of victory to show they have any clout at all.

It's our job to make sure they don't get one.

Sonny Sundaramurthy emailed me this:

--

Philip,

There are already two congressmen from Virginia that have cosponsored
    the federal gun-show "loophole" bill.

Rep Connolly, Gerald E. "Gerry" [VA-11] - 5/7/2009
    Rep Moran, James P. [VA-8] - 6/19/2009

The Brady bunch is pushing for 100 cosponsors by January 18th (see
    attached e-mail). The number currently stands at 43.

I am going to use this opportunity to remind my congressman NOT to
    cosponsor HR 2324. We should all probably do the same.

- Sonny

Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence: Email - Getting Closer to 100

Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence : Home

(SNIP)

Good news! Just in the past few days - since Brian Malte's email to
    you last week - you've added eight new cosponsors to H.R 2324, Rep.
    Mike Castle and Rep. Carolyn McCarthy's bill to close the gun show
    loophole.

Thanks to you and others, we are getting closer to our ambitious goal
    of 100 cosponsors by Martin Luther King Day, January 18.

We can do this. When we keep the pressure on, we will close the gun
    show loophole.

But it will take every voice ... and every dollar ... to help pass
    this common sense bill to keep dangerous weapons out of the hands of
    dangerous people.

Please make a contribution to the Brady Campaign now to help save lives.

The gun lobby will fight us every step of the way with its ridiculous
    mantra of "any gun, anywhere, for anybody." But you and I have been in
    this fight for a long time. And common sense is on our side.

We want 100 cosponsors by January 18, but we are also pressing for a
    congressional hearing on the issue, and we are working with our media
    contacts to get editorials and interviews on all major news programs.

Brady and Million Mom March Chapters - we have more than 70 - are also
    organizing in key districts to help get more cosponsors.

This kind of all-out effort is how we passed the Brady Law.

But our victories do not come cheap - especially against the mammoth
    gun lobby machine.

Here's Glenn Nye's (2nd District Congressman VA) canned response to my email asking not to support H.R.2324.

Thank you for contacting me with your position on H.R. 2324, the Gun Show Loophole Closing Act. It is helpful to learn the views of my friends and neighbors in Tidewater, and I appreciate having your input.

If passed, the bill would require background checks for all firearms sold at gun shows. It would also impose recordkeeping requirements on gun show operators and criminal penalties for failure to register as a gun show operator and maintain required records. Gun control is a complex issue in our country, and legislative proposals to restrict the availability of firearms purchased by the public have raised a number of questions. When debating this issue, we must be cognizant of two very important questions.

Proponents of gun control legislation believe federal gun control laws can be effective because states with few restrictions will continue to hemorrhage illegal arms into states with more restrictive laws. They assert that the Second Amendment to the Constitution, which states "[a] well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed," has been misinterpreted by some and that the Second Amendment does not guarantee that this right is absolute, free from reasonable regulations.

Efforts surrounding firearm restrictions have centered on policy changes regarding specific types of firearms or components that are used primarily for criminal purposes or pose unusual risks to the public. Fully automatic weapons, short-barreled rifles, and shotguns have been subject to strict regulation since 1934 and have been banned from private possession since 1986. More recently, Saturday night specials (loosely defined as inexpensive, small handguns), assault weapons, ammunition-feeding devices with capacities for more than seven rounds, and certain ammunition types have been the focus of control efforts.

However, opponents of gun control vary widely on their positions with respect to specific restrictions but generally hold that gun control laws do not accomplish what is intended. They argue that it is as difficult to keep weapons from being acquired by high-risk individuals and liken the gun control effort to prohibition. In their view, a more stringent federal firearm regulatory system would only create problems for law-abiding citizens by threatening their civil rights.

Please know that I take this issue very seriously, and will be monitoring the different legislation that is introduced in the House of Representatives as I serve in Congress. It is imperative that we protect the people of our nation while ensuring that our citizens retain their rights.

Thank you again for sharing your views. I am proud to serve Virginia's Second District, and I am committed to working hard for you. If you would like more information about the issues I am working on in Congress, or if you would like to sign up to receive my monthly e-newsletter, I encourage you to visit my website at www.nye.house.gov.

Sincerely,

Glenn Nye
    Member of Congress

Sounds like Congressman Glen Nye, is for regulations and attempts to skirt the issue or answering the question.

Emailed all of mine, but they are all pro-gun.... but still wanted to reinforce it.

Debbie Wasserman Shultz, from here is a complete waste. I email her on many issues and she is (almost...99.9%) always on the wrong side.
    Last edited by JD; November 11th, 2009 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Addressed via PM.

Pure B.S. from Nye, a lot of hot air and waltzing around, must be an Anti. An honest answer would be too much like the honorable thing to give you. Instead he tries to confuse you with crap. Write him back and tell him to man-up and pick a side out in the open instead of being a spineless worm..

My response back to him would be:

"While I know legislation can be complex, anything that infringes on the law-abiding will NOT prevent criminals from breaking the law. This proposed legislation will not prevent criminals from breaking the law--but unnecessarily infringes on how I sell my private property. Moreover, it potentially creates additional "criminals" as family members give their property to sons, daughters, and grandchildren."

"For clarification, "Fully automatic weapons, short-barreled rifles, and shotguns have been subject to strict regulation since 1934 and have been banned from private possession since 1986" is incorrect. In fact, in Virginia, these weapons are permitted by law, provided the owner has a Class III firearms license and $200 tax stamp from the BATF." I recommend you become intimately familiar with Federal and VA gun laws...soon you too, will understand the ridiculousness of those who wish to add unenforceable gun laws."
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by jowgafist View Post
    Gun control is a complex issue in our country,
    I'm pretty sure that Congresscritter-speak for, "You're too stupid to understand, you miserable serf."

It's a shame the Second Amendment is too complex for him. Send him to the unemployment line next year.

Herk
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Here's Glenn Nye's (2nd District Congressman VA) canned response to my email asking not to support H.R.2324.

Thank you for contacting me with your position on H.R. 2324, the Gun Show Loophole Closing Act. It is helpful to learn the views of my friends and neighbors in Tidewater, and I appreciate having your input.

If passed, the bill would require background checks for all firearms sold at gun shows. It would also impose recordkeeping requirements on gun show operators and criminal penalties for failure to register as a gun show operator and maintain required records. Gun control is a complex issue in our country, and legislative proposals to restrict the availability of firearms purchased by the public have raised a number of questions. When debating this issue, we must be cognizant of two very important questions.

Proponents of gun control legislation believe federal gun control laws can be effective because states with few restrictions will continue to hemorrhage illegal arms into states with more restrictive laws. They assert that the Second Amendment to the Constitution, which states "[a] well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed," has been misinterpreted by some and that the Second Amendment does not guarantee that this right is absolute, free from reasonable regulations.

Efforts surrounding firearm restrictions have centered on policy changes regarding specific types of firearms or components that are used primarily for criminal purposes or pose unusual risks to the public. Fully automatic weapons, short-barreled rifles, and shotguns have been subject to strict regulation since 1934 and have been banned from private possession since 1986. More recently, Saturday night specials (loosely defined as inexpensive, small handguns), assault weapons, ammunition-feeding devices with capacities for more than seven rounds, and certain ammunition types have been the focus of control efforts.

However, opponents of gun control vary widely on their positions with respect to specific restrictions but generally hold that gun control laws do not accomplish what is intended. They argue that it is as difficult to keep weapons from being acquired by high-risk individuals and liken the gun control effort to prohibition. In their view, a more stringent federal firearm regulatory system would only create problems for law-abiding citizens by threatening their civil rights.

Please know that I take this issue very seriously, and will be monitoring the different legislation that is introduced in the House of Representatives as I serve in Congress. It is imperative that we protect the people of our nation while ensuring that our citizens retain their rights.

Thank you again for sharing your views. I am proud to serve Virginia's Second District, and I am committed to working hard for you. If you would like more information about the issues I am working on in Congress, or if you would like to sign up to receive my monthly e-newsletter, I encourage you to visit my website at www.nye.house.gov.

Sincerely,

Glenn Nye
    Member of Congress
    Written in congressional 'speed talk', but let me interpret for you...

See, now it make sense!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

From VCDL.org newsletter. I have emailed my Congressman, please do the same.

8. Anti-gun Brady Campaign wants 100 cosponsors by January

The Brady's want to register the private sales of guns and desperately need some kind of victory to show they have any clout at all.

It's our job to make sure they don't get one.

Sonny Sundaramurthy emailed me this:

--

Philip,

There are already two congressmen from Virginia that have cosponsored
    the federal gun-show "loophole" bill.

Rep Connolly, Gerald E. "Gerry" [VA-11] - 5/7/2009
    Rep Moran, James P. [VA-8] - 6/19/2009

The Brady bunch is pushing for 100 cosponsors by January 18th (see
    attached e-mail). The number currently stands at 43.

I am going to use this opportunity to remind my congressman NOT to
    cosponsor HR 2324. We should all probably do the same.

- Sonny

Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence: Email - Getting Closer to 100

Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence : Home

(SNIP)

Good news! Just in the past few days - since Brian Malte's email to
    you last week - you've added eight new cosponsors to H.R 2324, Rep.
    Mike Castle and Rep. Carolyn McCarthy's bill to close the gun show
    loophole.

Thanks to you and others, we are getting closer to our ambitious goal
    of 100 cosponsors by Martin Luther King Day, January 18.

We can do this. When we keep the pressure on, we will close the gun
    show loophole.

But it will take every voice ... and every dollar ... to help pass
    this common sense bill to keep dangerous weapons out of the hands of
    dangerous people.

Please make a contribution to the Brady Campaign now to help save lives.

The gun lobby will fight us every step of the way with its ridiculous
    mantra of "any gun, anywhere, for anybody." But you and I have been in
    this fight for a long time. And common sense is on our side.

We want 100 cosponsors by January 18, but we are also pressing for a
    congressional hearing on the issue, and we are working with our media
    contacts to get editorials and interviews on all major news programs.

Brady and Million Mom March Chapters - we have more than 70 - are also
    organizing in key districts to help get more cosponsors.

This kind of all-out effort is how we passed the Brady Law.

But our victories do not come cheap - especially against the mammoth
    gun lobby machine.
    Strangely enough, Alan Gura's website ChicagoGunCase.com is reporting the Bradys are filing an amicus in the McDonald case-not supporting either side. Maybe they're trying to change their image because no one's buying their garbage anymore.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Glenn is one of the many that need to become unemployed next year.
    "In a crisis, you will not rise to the occasion, but you will default to the level of your training."

Sponsored Links