N.J. judge says quadriplegic can have guns - Page 2

N.J. judge says quadriplegic can have guns

This is a discussion on N.J. judge says quadriplegic can have guns within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; a little bit ironic. nothing against him owning a gun or anything. i understand how he can operate a gun with a breathing tube... but, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: N.J. judge says quadriplegic can have guns

a little bit ironic. nothing against him owning a gun or anything. i understand how he can operate a gun with a breathing tube... but, i just don't see how he is gonna hunt in a wheel chair.... then again i don't hunt or claim to know anything about it so maybe there is a way and i just don't see it...

Not exactly an "Apples to Apples" comparison is it? Physically limited or without vision?
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

a little bit ironic. nothing against him owning a gun or anything. i understand how he can operate a gun with a breathing tube... but, i just don't see how he is gonna hunt in a wheel chair.... then again i don't hunt or claim to know anything about it so maybe there is a way and i just don't see it...
    My brother has been to Africa twice, Wyoming, Texas, Mexico and several mid western states hunting from a chair and is tough, patient and an incredible marksman.... all from a chair, and contends that he is a lot less handicapped than the majority of the general public! I respectfully agree! God Bless..
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beaker View Post
    This is exactly the point! The hunting is up to him to accomplish, not to you to dismiss as impossible. He has the right to aspire to the challenge and the right to own a firearm. It is situations such as this that necessitate creativity, vision, and perseverance -- attributes that Americans have been known for -- and precisely the opposite of what you have expressed.

You must live in constant amazement that man has flown to the moon and back?

oh, i didn't dismiss as impossible. it would be very easy to have a helping hand from a hunting buddy.. but if he found an efficient way to do it by himself, i applaud him for his innovation and inventiveness.

The reason he wants the gun is moot. There's no reason he should have to justify such a thing. The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. He should have never even cited a reason for wanting it, nor ahould he have been asked.

I wonder how many folks have to petition a Governmental Entity to be allowed to exercise any other Constitutional Rights???

Even the thought that anyone protected by the Rights granted under the Constitution would have to request that they be allowed to exercise them, and then justify that desire with a reason should sicken Americans.

The Right to Keep and Bare Arms shall not be infringed, unless the Government thinks you have no particularly valid reason to need the afore mentioned arms.

Yup, that sounds the way I remember it...
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

hunting from a chair

I am sure there are many different ways this is accomplished but in the hunts I have assisted people with it is generally post hunting, sitting and waiting in a scouted area be it from a tree stand of ground blind. I have even seen hydraulic scissor lift type stands made wheel in and up you go covering the cornfield. In the state of Pa there are also considerations made for handicapped hunters including motorized vehicle variances and such.

Kripple Kreek LLC That was a quick gogle and I have seen other designs as well

Kudos to Cap for pursuing passions and still living his life as best as he can. No offense is meant by this but my grandfather said to me "Disability is a mindset"

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Playing devil's advocate here...What about a blind person?
    Contact self defense shot with a revolver. If anything, disabled persons have MORE of a need for self defense, as they are easier targets.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Playing devil's advocate here...What about a blind person?
    I posted about it in another thread a while back but my step-dad has had his LTCF since the early 90s.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I'm guessing this is the rig he'll use, or at least something very similar.
    Be Adaptive Disabled Hunting and Fishing Equiment

Yes a person with a disability will need help to hunt or even shoot, but it's more than possible and safety needs to be observed.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Wat a minute!
    The judge addressed the safety issues by requiring Cap to have qualified people assist him with weapons.
    Isn't that what we call a "bodyguard?"
    Seriously, he has to mount the gun on the wheelchair and fire it by blowing into a tube; other than target practice, I don't think the gun will do him much good.
    And I guess it won't be concealed.
    I don't understand why the court will make an (to me) odd ruling in his case, but deny millions who are better suited, their rights.

It's not a matter of being "better suited". it's does the 2A grant the rights of this individual hunt or target shoot? The qualified person statement by the judge is a CYA on his part and it only means that someone has to help him who knows how to handle a gun.

I know several 'quads' that would be safe with a firearm. Even people with a C4-5 spinal cord injury (nothing from the middle of the chest down).

Yes, they would need someone to set the rig up, but then they would be able to control the gun on their own, including aiming and shooting.

Getting to a good spot to hunt would be the biggest barrier I can think of. Many people with disabilities can do a lot more (safely) than a lot of people realize.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

"The reason he wants the gun is moot. There's no reason he should have to justify such a thing. The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. He should have never even cited a reason for wanting it, nor should he have been asked."

Exactly !

Even if a person couldn't use a gun at all no matter what, the right to have them doesn't change.
    I sing like a tortured water buffalo, but I can still buy a microphone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links