A good reminder of the need for vigilance

This is a discussion on A good reminder of the need for vigilance within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This story from Great Britain serves as a good reminder of the need for vigilance where the second amendment is concerned. We should never think ...

Thread: A good reminder of the need for vigilance

This story from Great Britain serves as a good reminder of the need for vigilance where the second amendment is concerned. We should never think that there aren't a good number of legislators and others who would like to see this scenario play out here in the colonies.
    He said to them, "But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one."

- Luke 22:36 (ESV)

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    In 1658 one of my ancestors landed in St Mary's County, Maryland. They were fleeing England because of persecution by the government. Got out just in time I say.

In our little town, we have had different people bring in a claymore mine, some concussion grenades, some M-16 ammo in magazines, and who knows what. Generally, the police chief thanks them then chews them out for not leaving the things put for someone to come retrieve. I'm sure the claymore and concussion grenades violated some law, but to prosecute them. Sheer insanity. Government run amuck.

Would anybody with any common sense believe that a modern, civilized society and its application of law could become so perverse that this could happen?

We must be very diligent or it will soon infect us!

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

This is the story in whole

Ex-soldier faces jail for handing in gun
    Thursday, November 12, 2009, 10:30
    A former soldier who handed a discarded shotgun in to police faces at least five years imprisonment for "doing his duty".

Paul Clarke, 27, was found guilty of possessing a firearm at Guildford Crown Court on Tuesday after finding the gun and handing it personally to police officers on March 20 this year.

The jury took 20 minutes to make its conviction, and Mr Clarke now faces a minimum of five year's imprisonment for handing in the weapon.

In a statement read out in court, Mr Clarke said: "I didn't think for one moment I would be arrested.

"I thought it was my duty to hand it in and get it off the streets."

The court heard how Mr Clarke was on the balcony of his home in Nailsworth Crescent, Merstham, when he spotted a black bin liner at the bottom of his garden.

In his statement, he said: "I took it indoors and inside found a shorn-off shotgun and two cartridges.

"I didn't know what to do, so the next morning I rang the Chief Superintendent, Adrian Harper, and asked if I could pop in and see him.

"At the police station, I took the gun out of the bag and placed it on the table so it was pointing towards the wall."

Mr Clarke was then arrested immediately for possession of a firearm at Reigate police station, and taken to the cells.

Defending, Lionel Blackman told the jury Mr Clarke's garden backs onto a public green field, and his garden wall is significantly lower than his neighbours.

He also showed jurors a leaflet printed by Surrey Police explaining to citizens what they can do at a police station, which included "reporting found firearms".

Quizzing officer Garnett, who arrested Mr Clarke, he asked: "Are you aware of any notice issued by Surrey Police, or any publicity given to, telling citizens that if they find a firearm the only thing they should do is not touch it, report it by telephone, and not take it into a police station?"

To which, Mr Garnett replied: "No, I don't believe so."

Prosecuting, Brian Stalk, explained to the jury that possession of a firearm was a "strict liability" charge therefore Mr Clarke's allegedly honest intent was irrelevant.

Just by having the gun in his possession he was guilty of the charge, and has no defence in law against it, he added.

But despite this, Mr Blackman urged members of the jury to consider how they would respond if they found a gun.

He said: "This is a very small case with a very big principle.

"You could be walking to a railway station on the way to work and find a firearm in a bin in the park.

"Is it unreasonable to take it to the police station?"

Paul Clarke will be sentenced on December 11.

Judge Christopher Critchlow said: "This is an unusual case, but in law there is no dispute that Mr Clarke has no defence to this charge.

"The intention of anybody possessing a firearm is irrelevant."

As a brit...All I can say is this is what happens when you get what you want.
    The politicians thought the public wanted hard sentancing for possession of an illegal firearm, they did not take into account people's honesty and ignorance of the law.

Very sad, I'm embarrassed to be British today...Please don't let the US get like this.

Tint Bob (UK)

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tint Bob View Post
    Very sad, I'm embarrassed to be British today...Please don't let the US get like this.

Tint Bob (UK)
    I feel for you Tint Bob and all British that still believe in Freedom.
    I pray that neither I, nor my children ever have to live as serfs under such oppression.

Here's one of my favorite quotes [that happens to be by a fellow Texan].

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -Suzanna Gratia Hupp

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Thanks for my new Signature P7fanatic!
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -Suzanna Gratia Hupp

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Queensidecas View Post
    Thanks for my new Signature P7fanatic!
    Not a problem, thank Suzanna. Better yet, get her to run for Kay Bailey's senate seat.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

it's not me! It's not me!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Links